BUYING Inverter/Inversor

latitude19

May 29, 2011
Am looking for a medium sized inverter for a 4 battery system. Will most likely buy in Santiago unless a good deal exists near Cabarete. Guessing a store like Plaza Lama or Price Smart in Santiago would be a cheaper option than a business specializing in inverters. Where is the best place to buy an inverter in Santiago??

This is for a modest Dominican family that use relatively few appliances. ThAnKs!!!

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
What is the average price of an inversor and batteries for a 4 bedroom house?
Just checking

SHALENA

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
I have a 9.5KW inverter that cost approximately $(US)800. The big expense is the batteries. Remember it's not advisable to add batteries at a later stage. Being Irish I have a belt & braces approach to the power problems.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Was the $800 just for the Inversor itself or for the Inversor with batteries?

SHALENA

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Without Batteries

Was the $800 just for the Inversor itself or for the Inversor with batteries?
SHALENA

A 9.5 kW inverter is quite powerful and a good quality one would cost that much, yes.

donP

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
What is the average price of an inversor and batteries for a 4 bedroom house?
Just checking

SHALENA

"Good" batteries will run you $4,800+/- per battery, you will need at least 8.
(I got an 800 peso credit per old battery and paid about $4,000+/- each)

A 3.6 kw inverter well over $20,000
(Have not priced one lately, may be much more, if I get a chance today I will check)

That should run your whole house, excluding water heater and air conditioner.

I don't run my water pumps on the inverter either and refrain from using the microwave when the electric is off.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
shalena, we have a 3.5kw inversor with 8 batteries for our 3 bed house. typical wiring with all light and entertainment connected. plus fridge (a must, i think, because of food born diseases), motor for the gate (another must, especially coming back at night or living alone) and water pump (because we have no tinaco).
calculate about 1000 dollars for inversor (new, price depends on a brand) and about 5k pesos for each battery. it is better to buy and connect all batteries at the same time. make sure you give it proper maintenance and it will last you a long time. our inversor will do easily 12hr with no power, 24hr maybe on reduced capacity (at night, one light on).

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
$(US)800 was the price of the Inversor only. The bank of 12 batteries cost 48,000 pesos. I have a relatively big house and lots of freezers/fridges.

yapask1

Jul 23, 2012
$(US)800 was the price of the Inversor only. The bank of 12 batteries cost 48,000 pesos. I have a relatively big house and lots of freezers/fridges.

If you want to save money buy a batttery charger and 1.5kw inverter - through Amazon - about $250.
Use icemaker / very small fridge /small vertical freezer to make ice and store food in thermos flasks/jars with ice pack. 2 batteries are still necessary to power TV ( 60 watts ) lights ( 24 watts ) , fans ( 30 watts ) when power fails.

Electric is expensive in the DR.

You can take hot or cold food to be beach in the thermos flasks.

Veg can be stored in small efficient coldbox with ice or ice packs.

Solar panels can be added later for 600 dollars and then elctric bill will go down to practically ziltch.

Yapask1.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
If you want to save money buy a batttery charger and 1.5kw inverter - through Amazon - about $250.
Use icemaker / very small fridge /small vertical freezer to make ice and store food in thermos flasks/jars with ice pack. 2 batteries are still necessary to power TV ( 60 watts ) lights ( 24 watts ) , fans ( 30 watts ) when power fails.

Solar panels can be added later for 600 dollars and then elctric bill will go down to practically ziltch.

Yapask1.

Is that you yanadu/pi1????

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

Yapask1.

Or you could just go to the colmado every time you want to cook and obviate the need for a refrigerator.

Or on the other hand the OP can follow the practical advice given elsewhere in this thread.

yapask1

Jul 23, 2012
Or you could just go to the colmado every time you want to cook and obviate the need for a refrigerator.

Or on the other hand the OP can follow the practical advice given elsewhere in this thread.

I like my drinks ice cold. I have a robotic floor cleaner .... so I can watch it work with a cold pineapple juice.

Inverter is a COBRA 1575 watts.

Yapask1.