Any information on HOMS hospital Santiago ?

Floridaborn

Sep 25, 2010
Has anyone been to HOMS hospital in Santiago ? How was your experience ?

Thanks for the info ! I'm looking for a medical facility I can have some trust in their knowledge, not too keen on anywhere in POP/Sosua.

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
My family and friends have had to go to HOMS for a variety of reasons over the past few years. Everything from pre-natal to heart and brain surgery. Very happy with the results (and costs) and shall continue to refer people there. It's definitely as good as it gets here!

Twix

Banned
Feb 23, 2011
I went to see a cardiologist there and he ripped me off, charged me 1000 pesos w/ my insurance. I will never go there again. I go to union medica now and have been very happy

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
My son was admitted and stayed there inpatient for 2 days. I believe it is a very good hospital, although there are still "little" things that may bug you, overall it was a good experience.
Take your own food, and pack a set of sheets "just in case"

SHALENA

Jan 17, 2009
While I would not comment on medical care as it seems pretty good, the hospital and nursing staff per se are not.

First, you can't leave a person on his own. Room doors must be kept closed. There is no bell or button on the bed to call for help. If you need help you need to be able to get to the phone (in a table behind the bed) and dial the nurse station phone number. I kept on moving the table closer to the bed but the nurse will push it back any chance she got. Similarly, no emergency call button in the bathroom.

Second, in one of our several visits for my husband, we arrived through the emergency room at about 9:30pm. My husband was extremely cold (in part due to his condition) and had been covered with lots of blankets in the ER. We get to his room, I ask for a blanket for him and another for me, only to be told that they don't have blankets after 9pm. I insisted to get one for my husband at the very least. Nothing, the nurses simply don't have access to blankets or bottled water after 9pm when the "Guest services" person leaves for the day. I ended up asking for lots of sheets and covering my husband with those.

Third, you don't get food or the diet the doctor put you in, unless you ask and check what it is that they are giving you. Just ask and insist, and they get you what you want or what's in your doctor prescribed diet. Don't expect them to check this for you.

I also had elective surgery there a few years ago. After surgery (with local and a sedative) I remember to my astonishment that I was rolled into an OR where I could a slit of light coming in from an unsealed door to a hallway. After surgery I stayed for one night. The nurse pulled in an uncovered used (maybe disinfected but I don't know) thermometer from the breast pocket of her outfit and pushed it into my mouth. I found out later on checking out that there was a covered thermometer in the drawer of my night table just for my personal use.

In talking with one of my husband's doctors, he said HOMS spent a ton of money bringing a team of nurses from Puerto Rico to train the nursing staff but that didn't help much.

HOMS is, however, the best alternative for anyone leaving in the North Coast -- although if it were an emergency situation and something neurological I would go to CMC in Sosua.

Floridaborn

Sep 25, 2010
I am asking more for the medical staff/doctors -- i would like to have a competent doctor give me a physical and that they have updated diagnostic equipment. I am looking for competency .... here .... :)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
$25 dollar co-pay to see a cardiologist?? In the states, I wonder how much?? Anyone...

I have not issued an opinion, my son has an office there, visited by several here on DR1...

Let me say that he raves about the OR and the facilities.

I would imagine that if I get really ill, I will go either there or Corominas, where my 4 children were born....

HB

Last edited:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Do the Doctors at HOMS and Coraminas schedule appointments over the telephone or is it first come, first served like CMS and Bournigal?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Do the Doctors at HOMS and Coraminas schedule appointments over the telephone or is it first come, first served like CMS and Bournigal?

It depends on the doctor. I am now going to a cardiologist at HOMS and able to schedule an appointment. Costs .more than if I waited my turn, but I prefer to pay the extra. He has one day a week that he does this.

I know a doctor at Bournigal that does the same thing.

The problem is the seeming inability of many Dominicans to be somewhere at a scheduled time. Doctors have to take patients on a first turn basis or they would have a lot of down time with patients sitting in the office.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i have only been to HOMS as a visitor. i was impressed: clean and safe place. but my regular doctor is in clinica union (ginecologo). miesposo goes there to his cardiologo.

HumbleHindu

Jan 14, 2010
I am going there regularly for myself and taking my friends. I would say that hospital is well equipped and the doctors are competent and friendly. But the disgrace is paramedical staffs. Waiting at the labs and their other diagnostic centers is a pain. The staffs there will treat you as if they are doing it free service. Nowadays I am taking the prescription and go outside for analysis. Not doing it there even if the doctor insists.