how much $$ per person/airport

dom

Jun 1, 2011
this is just a rhetoric question.

as an example

husband and wife, each brings 10.000 us, each one declares that the 10.000 us are theirs.
meaning that one , doesn't carry the other persons 10.000 us.

is that legal, as every person is allowed to carry up to 10.000 us ?

now i have been told that it is 10.000 US per family, meaning that husband and wife can only bring 10.000 together.

whats the truth, whats right and whats wrong ?

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
As long as you "declare" it, you can bring more then $10,000 per family.

But the risk of being robbed after you leave the airport are probably increased.
(The miracle of cell phone transmissions)

Note:

Even friends traveling together should not carry more then $10,000 un-declared.
It will be presumed it all belongs to one.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Why you bring cash? Just wire it to a bank and be safe about it.

Exactly...I don't understand why anyone would do this just to save the 25 USD cost of a wire transfer. Your chances of having the money confiscated or being robbed are very good...Heck even if you left it in your home bank account you can still get it down there from the ATM 500 USD at a time for some small fees...even that is a better alternative IMO.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Why you bring cash? Just wire it to a bank and be safe about it.

Ummmm...not everybody puts their cash through the banking system!
Just a "legal" example, a Doorman or Taxi driver that has substantial CASH earnings may not deposit or declare his income.

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
Exactly...I don't understand why anyone would do this just to save the 25 USD cost of a wire transfer. Your chances of having the money confiscated or being robbed are very good...Heck even if you left it in your home bank account you can still get it down there from the ATM 500 USD at a time for some small fees...even that is a better alternative IMO.

Say you don't have a DR bank account and therefore can't do a wire. Your home currency is CAD and you have a USD bank account and you need to have USD cash in DR (e.g. to pay rent). The ATM route in my case will involve 3 foreign exchange transaction (USD -> CAD, CAD-> DOP, DOP -> USD) on top of bank ATM fees and is a complete waste of money. So it's easier to bring some cash for convenience.

davetuna

Bronze
Jun 19, 2012
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
if you are carrying cash into the country, (under 10k) don't tell anyone, and better to have a local meet you when you come in, someone who knows how to deal with 'situations'........

I think the people were being robbed after dark, so try to come in on a daytime flight....

dave

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
As stated $10,000.00 per family traveling together. Be aware that claiming more than $10,000.00 will open the door for a flood of questions and puts you at risk once you leave the airport. If you declare more than $10,000.00 be prepared to spend extra time at the airport answering questions. I mentioned in one of my early posts on another thread that I did it and would never do it again. To this day I am still questioned 2-3 times how much currency I have. Worst experience I had. I know others that have done it with no problem but after my experience I would never recommend it. Just my opinion though.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
As stated $10,000.00 per family traveling together. Be aware that claiming more than $10,000.00 will open the door for a flood of questions and puts you at risk once you leave the airport. If you declare more than $10,000.00 be prepared to spend extra time at the airport answering questions. I mentioned in one of my early posts on another thread that I did it and would never do it again. To this day I am still questioned 2-3 times how much currency I have. Worst experience I had. I know others that have done it with no problem but after my experience I would never recommend it. Just my opinion though.

This is very sound advice. Once you do this it will go into the computer and you will be hassled all the time. If you have to take more than 10K, just take it and don't declare it. It is more of a threat to be found leaving the US than entering the DR.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
This is very sound advice. Once you do this it will go into the computer and you will be hassled all the time. If you have to take more than 10K, just take it and don't declare it. It is more of a threat to be found leaving the US than entering the DR.

Interesting.

On my last entry into Canada, I was carrying $10K for renovations to a house - I had sold a car so could prove where the $$$ came from.

They asked me why I declared it ---???
Because I have this $10k, some RDpesos, and some Cdn cash......... all in , maybe $14-15 total.

"Oh, don't worry about what you're carrying in your pockets..." they say.

It took 25 minutes to find the form and fill it out - the agents and I thought it a waste of time.
Paperwork going where?

I reminded them that I was a NEXUS cardholder and entitled to Global Entry.
I did not want to jeopardize my status. ( I was under renewal at the time)

The point is - and RD is definitely be different - the authorities were pretty lax in my case in Canada.

It may not be the Big Deal that everybody thinks. They just want to know where it came from.

In RD, the consequences of declaring can be dire.
I wouldn't declare in RD........... be like the strippers - keep it in your shoe, under your foot.
You'll be taller !!!

davetuna

Bronze
Jun 19, 2012
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
it's all fun and games until someone gets hurt etc etc...........

IF you bring money in and don't declare it...........and IF you are searched and the money is found, then guess what? apart from being an offence, the money CAN be seized.

Also, say for example, you bring 20k into the DR and you tick the box that says that you do not have more than 10k.....think about it........it is pretty difficult to prove that you had 20k in the first place...........if the money is discovered it may just disappear.................

your choice-----but not for me.......the DR is NOT canada