Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default how much $$ per person/airport

this is just a rhetoric question.

as an example

husband and wife, each brings 10.000 us, each one declares that the 10.000 us are theirs.
    meaning that one , doesn't carry the other persons 10.000 us.

is that legal, as every person is allowed to carry up to 10.000 us ?

now i have been told that it is 10.000 US per family, meaning that husband and wife can only bring 10.000 together.

whats the truth, whats right and whats wrong ?

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

It is $10,000 US or equivalent for your family.

Moderator - Clown Central
    Post Thanks / Like

As long as you "declare" it, you can bring more then $10,000 per family.

But the risk of being robbed after you leave the airport are probably increased.
    (The miracle of cell phone transmissions)

Note:

Even friends traveling together should not carry more then $10,000 un-declared.
    It will be presumed it all belongs to one.

4. Likes CaptnGlenn liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Why you bring cash? Just wire it to a bank and be safe about it.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DR_Guy View Post
    Exactly...I don't understand why anyone would do this just to save the 25 USD cost of a wire transfer. Your chances of having the money confiscated or being robbed are very good...Heck even if you left it in your home bank account you can still get it down there from the ATM 500 USD at a time for some small fees...even that is a better alternative IMO.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DR_Guy View Post
    Ummmm...not everybody puts their cash through the banking system!
    Just a "legal" example, a Doorman or Taxi driver that has substantial CASH earnings may not deposit or declare his income.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by suarezn View Post
    Exactly...I don't understand why anyone would do this just to save the 25 USD cost of a wire transfer. Your chances of having the money confiscated or being robbed are very good...Heck even if you left it in your home bank account you can still get it down there from the ATM 500 USD at a time for some small fees...even that is a better alternative IMO.
    Say you don't have a DR bank account and therefore can't do a wire. Your home currency is CAD and you have a USD bank account and you need to have USD cash in DR (e.g. to pay rent). The ATM route in my case will involve 3 foreign exchange transaction (USD -> CAD, CAD-> DOP, DOP -> USD) on top of bank ATM fees and is a complete waste of money. So it's easier to bring some cash for convenience.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool

if you are carrying cash into the country, (under 10k) don't tell anyone, and better to have a local meet you when you come in, someone who knows how to deal with 'situations'........

I think the people were being robbed after dark, so try to come in on a daytime flight....

dave

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

As stated $10,000.00 per family traveling together. Be aware that claiming more than $10,000.00 will open the door for a flood of questions and puts you at risk once you leave the airport. If you declare more than $10,000.00 be prepared to spend extra time at the airport answering questions. I mentioned in one of my early posts on another thread that I did it and would never do it again. To this day I am still questioned 2-3 times how much currency I have. Worst experience I had. I know others that have done it with no problem but after my experience I would never recommend it. Just my opinion though.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by keepcoming View Post
    As stated $10,000.00 per family traveling together. Be aware that claiming more than $10,000.00 will open the door for a flood of questions and puts you at risk once you leave the airport. If you declare more than $10,000.00 be prepared to spend extra time at the airport answering questions. I mentioned in one of my early posts on another thread that I did it and would never do it again. To this day I am still questioned 2-3 times how much currency I have. Worst experience I had. I know others that have done it with no problem but after my experience I would never recommend it. Just my opinion though.
    This is very sound advice. Once you do this it will go into the computer and you will be hassled all the time. If you have to take more than 10K, just take it and don't declare it. It is more of a threat to be found leaving the US than entering the DR.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast