Transportation from Santiago Airport

panicmechanic

Apr 15, 2012
Hi, my Spirit Air flight lands at 2:00am on a Friday morning. My plan is to rest/sleep in the airport and then taxi over to the Metro bus station and buy a ticket for the 9:15am bus to Sosua. My question is that I will have my iphone and an unlocked Razr with no chip so how do I call EmiTaxi to get a taxi to pick me up? I do speak some Spanish however. Any help will be appreciated on this. Thanks!

Jan 17, 2009
Take a cab at the airport. You will only safe a few bucks by calling a taxi. If it were later, you may be able to buy a sim card for your razor, but it sounds like you need to be heading to Metro at around 8:15-8:30am at the latest. Your iPhone will likely work in the DR but the cost of the phone call plus the roaming will erode your saving from calling a cab or worse.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You should probably take a cab from there at the airport. The fare should be in the RD$500peso range. You could go to Supermercado Central for an early breakfast if you want, it is only two blocks from Metro or Caribe Tours.

I agree that with roaming charges, calling your friends at Emi would not be cost efficient.

Have a good trip!!

HB

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
If you have an iPhone 4/4S then you will have to go to a main Orange/Claro office as they use a mini sim. The normal stores do not stock them.

Patron

Mar 17, 2010
I just took a taxi from the airport to Santiago city center. They wanted $20, I paid $18. They are pretty set in their prices. Going from my house to the airport is 500 pesos. If you are traveling light, you could always take the PA carro, right in front of the airport for 40 pesos and then take A carro for 20 pesos. Total cost 60 pesos and takes about 5 minutes longer than a taxi.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Well gasoline is not 200+ so it makes sense. Yup, the airport taxis are more expensive...from city to airport RD$500...good, at least I was ballpark...and thanks for reminding me of the PA concho!! A real savings...but at 0300 in the morning??? Hummm, you gotta wonder..

HB

jcrew20

Jun 22, 2005
I don't think they run at 3 am and I wouldn't take one, if they did. But I think he said his plan was to rest/sleep at the airport.

nakom

Jan 26, 2011
For $80 you can take a taxi directly from STI to Sosua. You will be there in 1.5 hours. Much easier - and who wants to sleep in an airport and ride a bus on vacation?

panicmechanic

Apr 15, 2012
Hey, just a quick question, will I be able to hire a taxi at 230 in the morning and is the road safe at that time of night?

Patron

Mar 17, 2010
Yes, you will be able to hire a taxi at 2:30 am. The cost is $20 from the airport to santiago. I have taken the trip many times at this hour and never had a problem.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I concurr...done it too. Not a problem...in fact on the way out of the airport you can stop for a cup of coffee or ginger tea...the woman who sells it is there every night....After the first speed bump..just tell the driver..

Enjoy..

HB

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Hey, just a quick question, will I be able to hire a taxi at 230 in the morning and is the road safe at that time of night?

I highly recommend Johan to take you safely from STI to the North Coast, a friend of Bachata, the best chofer in DR!

He has a late model car and will watch out for you.
I have his contact if you need it.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Good for you Tambo...you beat me to it!!

Pedro is the man these days...

And don't forget the coffee or tea!! One of the tiny delights as you arrive in Santiago!! (See above for details)

HB

Aneury Travels

Dec 28, 2012
Help with Transportation

If you need help with transportation (taxi and motoconcho) to and from the airports and all around Santiago, Puerto Plata, Sosua, and Cabarete you can call me, Aneury. I speak English and Spanish and I don?t charge much.
My contact information -

buy a classified ad, if you want to advertise on DR1

Last edited by a moderator:

SantiagueroRD

Bronze
Apr 20, 2011
WHY RENT A CAR?
Whether you need a ride
to/from the Santiago Airport or the North Coast, a night on the town clubbing,
shopping or sightseeing, a Santiago orientation tour or any other transportation
need Your Santiago Driver is your best choice!

No charge per person, for late night/early morning pick ups or for
overnighting in Santiago or the North Coast nothing but enjoying the ride.
Destinations with the exceptions of Cabarete which is $120 USD & Nagua $150
are just $99 dollars!

An equivalent insured car from a reputable dealer rents for about $80 for
just $19 more you get vehicle, driver, translator, and guide. If You are
involved in a traffic accident whether right or wrong in the Dominican Republic
you will be detained without bail. There is also the risk of identity theft.
You not only get a professionally trained driver who is fully licensed,
insured, and familiar with Dominican traffic hazards Pedro is also a certified
& licensed USA First Aid Responder & Security Officer fully bilingual
US/DR citizen who attended both High School & College in the US.