Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking Number of minutes in a Dominican Hour...

Hi, I was hoping someone had some scientific data for me. I have recently come to learn that Dominican time is not based on standard units of time measurement and I am trying to adjust my expectations, however, having an idea of how long certain things should take does make it easier to plan accordingly.

"An Hour" in the DR is decidedly NOT a standard hour. So my question is thus: Are there simply more minutes in a Dominican hour, if so, how many? Or is the whole concept of time shifted by a variation off the universally accepted "second" which then changes the duration of all other units of time (e.g. the minute/hour).

It is often said that "everything happens slower in the DR"... If everything happens slower, then this means that light must travel slower as well... And since atomic clocks use the speed of light (radiation) to stay calibrated, if light travels slower in the DR, then obviously a second would be longer than in other parts of the world.

Any specific knowledge would be helpful. Even if you only have a rule of thumb that you find works well, please do share...

2. Likes DMV123 liked this post
    Moderator - Clown Central
    Post Thanks / Like

All Dominican time measurements contain various degrees of the element "ahorita".

In normal Spanish the element has an immediate effect on time, causing immediate action.

In Dominican Spanish it works in reverse and causes various degrees of delay.

4. Likes rice&beans liked this post
    Moderator - Ladies Only & North West
    Post Thanks / Like

This explains the different times. It is easy once you get used to it.

What about your saucepans?: How to understand a Dominican Man

Matilda

6. Likes rice&beans, bob saunders, sabra liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matilda View Post
    This explains the different times. It is easy once you get used to it.

What about your saucepans?: How to understand a Dominican Man

Matilda

Ha Ha!!!

Excellent......

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I've heard "just a minute", what ever that means, around my house. Never "just a second". Don't think there are any in the Dominican Republic.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

When someone tells me that they will meet me at 6pm, I always ask "tiempo Americano o tiempo Dominicano"? They usually laugh and say "Dominicano"...
    Also, when I am told "manana", I now understand that to be "sometime in the near future, not necessarily the next day". BUT when I tell someone "I will get that info for you soon", they show up the next day, because the Americano told them "soon", so that means tomorrow.
    I had my parents visit. One time we went to a family dinner scheduled for 6pm. My parents were ready and hungry at 5:30pm. Dinner was not served until 9pm. The next time, they offered to go out to a restaurant because they could not adjust to Dominicano time.

10. Likes mountainannie liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Question It can be a new variable eg x*y = xy.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott.cc View Post
    Hi, I was hoping someone had some scientific data for me. I have recently come to learn that Dominican time is not based on standard units of time measurement and I am trying to adjust my expectations, however, having an idea of how long certain things should take does make it easier to plan accordingly.

"An Hour" in the DR is decidedly NOT a standard hour. So my question is thus: Are there simply more minutes in a Dominican hour, if so, how many? Or is the whole concept of time shifted by a variation off the universally accepted "second" which then changes the duration of all other units of time (e.g. the minute/hour).

It is often said that "everything happens slower in the DR"... If everything happens slower, then this means that light must travel slower as well... And since atomic clocks use the speed of light (radiation) to stay calibrated, if light travels slower in the DR, then obviously a second would be longer than in other parts of the world.

Any specific knowledge would be helpful. Even if you only have a rule of thumb that you find works well, please do share...

Dominican Time is a new variable.
    Time can expand into light years or contract rapidly.

GENEVA -- Scientists at Europe's CERN research centre have found a new subatomic particle, a basic building block of the universe, which appears to be the boson imagined and named half a century ago by theoretical physicist Peter Higgs.

"We have reached a milestone in our understanding of nature," CERN director general Rolf Heuer told a gathering of scientists and the world's media near Geneva on Wednesday.

"The discovery of a particle consistent with the Higgs boson opens the way to more detailed studies, requiring larger statistics, which will pin down the new particle's properties, and is likely to shed light on other mysteries of our universe.

In the DR Ahora is NOW, but it rarely happens!
    Ahorita will happen at a later time.
    If you promise to give a loan to someone that person will be there Ahora!
    Re-payment will stretch like a chiclet gum, but won't be in your lifetime because of subatomic particles.

If you make love time will be stretched into an elliptical galaxy 10x (1- b_a = MORE PLEASURE

The Keplerian formula assumes that only a central (point) mass exerts gravity on the orbiting mass.

v=GMR‾‾‾‾‾√
    The object of your desire should always be in your orbit, due to the pleas=ur principle - XOX
    Hereby it is clearly proven that LOVE IS BETTER IN THE DR.
    Time dilation due to gravitation and motion together.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lobo tropical View Post
    dominican time is a new variable.
    Time can expand into light years or contract rapidly.

Geneva -- scientists at europe's cern research centre have found a new subatomic particle, a basic building block of the universe, which appears to be the boson imagined and named half a century ago by theoretical physicist peter higgs.

"we have reached a milestone in our understanding of nature," cern director general rolf heuer told a gathering of scientists and the world's media near geneva on wednesday.

"the discovery of a particle consistent with the higgs boson opens the way to more detailed studies, requiring larger statistics, which will pin down the new particle's properties, and is likely to shed light on other mysteries of our universe.

In the dr ahora is now, but it rarely happens!
    Ahorita will happen at a later time.
    If you promise to give a loan to someone that person will be there ahora!
    Re-payment will stretch like a chiclet gum, but won't be in your lifetime because of subatomic particles.

If you make love time will be stretched into an elliptical galaxy 10x (1- b_a = more pleasure

the keplerian formula assumes that only a central (point) mass exerts gravity on the orbiting mass.

V=gmr‾‾‾‾‾√
    the object of your desire should always be in your orbit, due to the pleas=ur principle - xox
    hereby it is clearly proven that love is better in the dr.
    Time dilation due to gravitation and motion together.
    queeeee!!!!!!!

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I have the comprehensive answer for you. I'll tell you "en maņana." LOL

14. Likes young seniors liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Benefits

Quote Originally Posted by JMB773 View Post
    queeeee!!!!!!!
    Scott.cc
    "Hi, I was hoping someone had some scientific data for me".

JMB,
    Thank you for piointing out the benefits of higher education!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast