Number of minutes in a Dominican Hour...

Scott.cc

Jun 27, 2012
Hi, I was hoping someone had some scientific data for me. I have recently come to learn that Dominican time is not based on standard units of time measurement and I am trying to adjust my expectations, however, having an idea of how long certain things should take does make it easier to plan accordingly.

"An Hour" in the DR is decidedly NOT a standard hour. So my question is thus: Are there simply more minutes in a Dominican hour, if so, how many? Or is the whole concept of time shifted by a variation off the universally accepted "second" which then changes the duration of all other units of time (e.g. the minute/hour).

It is often said that "everything happens slower in the DR"... If everything happens slower, then this means that light must travel slower as well... And since atomic clocks use the speed of light (radiation) to stay calibrated, if light travels slower in the DR, then obviously a second would be longer than in other parts of the world.

Any specific knowledge would be helpful. Even if you only have a rule of thumb that you find works well, please do share... :)

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
All Dominican time measurements contain various degrees of the element "ahorita".

2ele3yo.jpg

In normal Spanish the element has an immediate effect on time, causing immediate action.

In Dominican Spanish it works in reverse and causes various degrees of delay.​

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
I've heard "just a minute", what ever that means, around my house. Never "just a second". Don't think there are any in the Dominican Republic.

Apr 13, 2011
When someone tells me that they will meet me at 6pm, I always ask "tiempo Americano o tiempo Dominicano"? They usually laugh and say "Dominicano"...
Also, when I am told "manana", I now understand that to be "sometime in the near future, not necessarily the next day". BUT when I tell someone "I will get that info for you soon", they show up the next day, because the Americano told them "soon", so that means tomorrow.
I had my parents visit. One time we went to a family dinner scheduled for 6pm. My parents were ready and hungry at 5:30pm. Dinner was not served until 9pm. The next time, they offered to go out to a restaurant because they could not adjust to Dominicano time.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
It can be a new variable eg x*y = xy.

Hi, I was hoping someone had some scientific data for me. I have recently come to learn that Dominican time is not based on standard units of time measurement and I am trying to adjust my expectations, however, having an idea of how long certain things should take does make it easier to plan accordingly.

"An Hour" in the DR is decidedly NOT a standard hour. So my question is thus: Are there simply more minutes in a Dominican hour, if so, how many? Or is the whole concept of time shifted by a variation off the universally accepted "second" which then changes the duration of all other units of time (e.g. the minute/hour).

It is often said that "everything happens slower in the DR"... If everything happens slower, then this means that light must travel slower as well... And since atomic clocks use the speed of light (radiation) to stay calibrated, if light travels slower in the DR, then obviously a second would be longer than in other parts of the world.

Any specific knowledge would be helpful. Even if you only have a rule of thumb that you find works well, please do share... :)

Dominican Time is a new variable.
Time can expand into light years or contract rapidly.

GENEVA -- Scientists at Europe's CERN research centre have found a new subatomic particle, a basic building block of the universe, which appears to be the boson imagined and named half a century ago by theoretical physicist Peter Higgs.

"We have reached a milestone in our understanding of nature," CERN director general Rolf Heuer told a gathering of scientists and the world's media near Geneva on Wednesday.

"The discovery of a particle consistent with the Higgs boson opens the way to more detailed studies, requiring larger statistics, which will pin down the new particle's properties, and is likely to shed light on other mysteries of our universe.

In the DR Ahora is NOW, but it rarely happens!
Ahorita will happen at a later time.
If you promise to give a loan to someone that person will be there Ahora!
Re-payment will stretch like a chiclet gum, but won't be in your lifetime because of subatomic particles.

If you make love time will be stretched into an elliptical galaxy 10x (1- b_a = MORE PLEASURE

The Keplerian formula assumes that only a central (point) mass exerts gravity on the orbiting mass.

v=GMR‾‾‾‾‾√
The object of your desire should always be in your orbit, due to the pleas=ur principle - XOX
Hereby it is clearly proven that LOVE IS BETTER IN THE DR.
Time dilation due to gravitation and motion together. :lick:

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
dominican time is a new variable.

Geneva -- scientists at europe's cern research centre have found a new subatomic particle, a basic building block of the universe, which appears to be the boson imagined and named half a century ago by theoretical physicist peter higgs.

"we have reached a milestone in our understanding of nature," cern director general rolf heuer told a gathering of scientists and the world's media near geneva on wednesday.

"the discovery of a particle consistent with the higgs boson opens the way to more detailed studies, requiring larger statistics, which will pin down the new particle's properties, and is likely to shed light on other mysteries of our universe.

In the dr ahora is now, but it rarely happens!
If you promise to give a loan to someone that person will be there ahora!
Re-payment will stretch like a chiclet gum, but won't be in your lifetime because of subatomic particles.

If you make love time will be stretched into an elliptical galaxy 10x (1- b_a = more pleasure

the keplerian formula assumes that only a central (point) mass exerts gravity on the orbiting mass.

V=gmr‾‾‾‾‾√
the object of your desire should always be in your orbit, due to the pleas=ur principle - xox
hereby it is clearly proven that love is better in the dr.

queeeee!!!!!!!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the number of minutes in an hour and indeed, time itself is, in DR, optional. it is a mere suggestion.
you need to adjust your mind here a little. you are in a rabbit hole, alice.

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
Scott.cc
"Hi, I was hoping someone had some scientific data for me".

JMB,
Thank you for piointing out the benefits of higher education!

I thought he was just trying to say that some people do not have a strong sense of being on time. Your post gave me" love making, galaxy, equation,etc. If this is higher learning I glad I CHEATED my way through school.

It was A LOT going on in your post and not one bit of it covered why Dominicans do not show up on time.

I will answer real simple why they do not show up on time, because THEY DO NOT FEEL LIKE IT!!!

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
People don't show up on time because there is not money waiting for them, you ever pass banreservas on payday? Ever had a gardener whos payday was a Tuesday and find him loitering around the gates on a Monday. Order from a calmado and have the delivery within 2mins, no change, that's ok he takes your cash and returns with the change later that night after you made several calls to ask what happened. Electricians start a job, take forever, but once complete they'll be knocking on your door at 8am.
monkeys and peanuts! Primitive mentality, it's only Important when they directly benefit immediately. I train my dogs like this!

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
Dominican Time is a new variable.

GENEVA -- Scientists at Europe's CERN research centre have found a new subatomic particle, a basic building block of the universe, which appears to be the boson imagined and named half a century ago by theoretical physicist Peter Higgs.

"We have reached a milestone in our understanding of nature," CERN director general Rolf Heuer told a gathering of scientists and the world's media near Geneva on Wednesday.

"The discovery of a particle consistent with the Higgs boson opens the way to more detailed studies, requiring larger statistics, which will pin down the new particle's properties, and is likely to shed light on other mysteries of our universe.

In the DR Ahora is NOW, but it rarely happens!
If you promise to give a loan to someone that person will be there Ahora!

If you make love time will be stretched into an elliptical galaxy 10x (1- b_a = MORE PLEASURE

The Keplerian formula assumes that only a central (point) mass exerts gravity on the orbiting mass.

v=GMR‾‾‾‾‾√
The object of your desire should always be in your orbit, due to the pleas=ur principle - XOX
Hereby it is clearly proven that LOVE IS BETTER IN THE DR.

Now I got you!!! I found an error an your theory. Chiclet gum does not stretch far to begin especially if you have chewing it for an hour. You should have stated" stretch like Bubble Yum bubble gum" Not bad for someone with no higher education.

Now I need to rest, GOOD NIGHT and YOUR WELCOME

Trainman33

Bronze
Dec 11, 2009
Is there even a way to say something needs to be done RIGHT FARKING NOW (or something bad is going to happen) in DR Spanish?

bellakins

May 31, 2008
Time is Money...?

People don't show up on time because there is not money waiting for them, you ever pass banreservas on payday? Ever had a gardener whos payday was a Tuesday and find him loitering around the gates on a Monday. Order from a calmado and have the delivery within 2mins, no change, that's ok he takes your cash and returns with the change later that night after you made several calls to ask what happened. Electricians start a job, take forever, but once complete they'll be knocking on your door at 8am.
monkeys and peanuts! Primitive mentality, it's only Important when they directly benefit immediately. I train my dogs like this!

Yup, so much is true... I have personally seen and experienced many instances and circumstances. Hahaha...
This thread makes me laugh out loud, because I would need a PALM READER to tell me something new about
Dominican time frame. It is truly an art with a new side of science, mc/2 = E...

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Errors

Now I got you!!! I found an error an your theory. Chiclet gum does not stretch far to begin especially if you have chewing it for an hour. You should have stated" stretch like Bubble Yum bubble gum" Not bad for someone with no higher education.

Now I need to rest, GOOD NIGHT and YOUR WELCOME

I'm full of errors and contradictions as time stretches on in the DR.
Peace :):):)