pucmm lost accreditation ?

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Has anyone heard that PUCMM has lost some accreditation that would prevent its students from getting US Federal Student Loans. This might effect the Medical School only.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The PUCMM has lost its Federal Student Loans for Medical School.

While the school has one of the highest number of graduates that pass the "boards", their percentage of students that pass versus the number of their students that take the test is not high enough for the federal people. (This means that the PUCMM is among the top 10 in all of Latin America in numbers of students who pass but not enough of a percentage of those who take the boards pass.)

Strange things, considering that places like UTESA and Norestana are still on the program and their programs are not recognized by many state medical boards while PUCMM is even recognized by California!

As a result, PUCMM will now be limiting who takes the boards (whereas before anyone could take it) and they are receiving advice from outside sources too.

Conspiracy theories abound, since our graduates occupy incredibly high positions at many of the major clinics in the US and other places.

Accreditation was never, ever in doubt....

HB

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
The PUCMM has lost its Federal Student Loans for Medical School.

While the school has one of the highest number of graduates that pass the "boards", their percentage of students that pass versus the number of their students that take the test is not high enough for the federal people. (This means that the PUCMM is among the top 10 in all of Latin America in numbers of students who pass but not enough of a percentage of those who take the boards pass.)

Strange things, considering that places like UTESA and Norestana are still on the program and their programs are not recognized by many state medical boards while PUCMM is even recognized by California!

As a result, PUCMM will now be limiting who takes the boards (whereas before anyone could take it) and they are receiving advice from outside sources too.

Conspiracy theories abound, since our graduates occupy incredibly high positions at many of the major clinics in the US and other places.

Accreditation was never, ever in doubt....

HB

HB, Do you think they will reacquire the Fed Loan ability? What impact will this have on the Med School overall? What impact will it have on Dominican students and American students? Do you know the med school tuition for a Dominican born student? Many thanks

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Yes they will.
Verylittle impact as the demand is greater than the supply of seats in the school. PUCMM does not really recruit foreign students and those that do come are usually overseas Dominicans.

According to what I heard recently, it is about 38,000 a semester....less than a thousand dollars! for a Dominican student...

Cordially,

HB

Isabel2nycdr

Aug 5, 2008
I know this is a few months old, but Hillbilly, I was wondering, did the school only lose their loans for their Medical School, or the whole university in general? I mean, can one still apply for a different program within the school and receive Federal Student Loans? Thanks for any info you might have on the subject.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Yes, this was just for the Medical School students. All the other programs are in place. And the university worked out something with the other med students, so I heard. Need to check that out.

HB

XavierPR

Oct 4, 2013
So right now is not a good idea to enroll as someone who will depend to pay med shcool entirely out of loans?

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
The one I heard was in that kind of trouble is Universidad Central del Este (UCE) in San Pedro de Macoris, some student from Puerto Rico here was talking about it.

DOC1727

Aug 30, 2011
They want to hold the schools accountable for the percentage of their graduates that pass the USMLE, instead of just pumping out Doctors and these schools feed off the student loans who pay their tuition in dollars. This sounds fair to make the schools somewhat liable.