Automatic residency?

Smart

Bronze
Jun 16, 2012
It is my understanding that this is a pro of marrying a Dominican lady, as of 2010. Would anyone be able to point me in the right direction of how one goes about officializing this, costs, documentation required, where to send it etc.

Thankyou!

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
You still have to start the residency process at a Dominican consulate in your home country!

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
Incorrect. You can start the residency process here (married to a Dominican citizen or not).

So how do you get your residence visa, which is part of the residency process?

ART?CULO 20.- El Ministerio de Relaciones Exteriores es la instituci?n representante del
Estado Dominicano que posee el mandato de iniciar el proceso de residencia desde el exterior
de los Extranjeros interesados en radicarse en el pa?s, mediante el otorgamiento de visas de
residencias por v?a de los Consulados, seg?n lo previsto por la Ley y el art?culo 1 de la
Resoluci?n No. 413 del 16 de noviembre de 1932, Gaceta Oficial No. 4525.

Smart

Bronze
Jun 16, 2012
It appears I have misunderstood this, I was under the impression it was a given right. Perusing the same avenues as anyone else not married to a Dominican citizen means this actually means very little. Costs, time, requirements, if the same then there is no automatic right, right?

PlantaFULL

Oct 21, 2004
I only found 2 extra advantages for non-residents married to a Dominican (in the PDFs linked in various threads):
A) You cannot be deported if married to Dominican.*
B) You also apply at the Consulate in your country, but you apply directly for Permanent rather then Provisional residency.

* This probably does not mean they cannot flag you when you leave the country voluntarily and you maybe denied to return without a special re-entry permit. Lord knows how and where to get this permit.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
So the short answer is no, no automatic residency. Would be interesting to see this though... wonder if the reverse of what happens now would occure. Foreigners marrying Dominicans just to get their Dominican residency lol

bermyboy

Bronze
Dec 13, 2007
I read that asfter 6 months married you can apply for Citzenship I read this on Guzmans sight and another law office site but yet to be confirmed.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I read that asfter 6 months married you can apply for Citzenship I read this on Guzmans sight and another law office site but yet to be confirmed.

i have a friend who is married to a Dominican American who went for the citizenship option just beacuse it was too complicated to keep up with the cahnges in residency documents. the OP may mean Dominican Citizenship which does become an automatic right I believe upon marriage

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
If you read it carefully it looks like that women can apply directly for citizenship while men are entitled to get it but need to follow the residency path.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
A brand new law with purposeful discrimination... if this were not the DR it would be almost unbelievable.

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
Article 18 of the Dominican Constitution:

Article 18. Nationality. The following persons are Dominican nationals:

1) The sons and daughters of a Dominican mother or father;
2) Any person having Dominican nationality before the effective date of this Constitution;
3) Any person born within the territory of the Dominican Republic, except those born to members of foreign diplomatic and consular missions, and foreigners who are ?in transit? or reside illegally in Dominican territory. A foreigner ?in transit? is any person defined as such by the laws of the Dominican Republic;
4) Any person born in a foreign country to a Dominican father or mother, despite having acquired, by place of birth, a nationality different from that of their parents. Upon reaching the age of eighteen, such persons may go before the proper authority and choose dual nationality or relinquish one nationality;
5) Any person marrying a Dominican man or woman, provided that such person chooses to acquire the nationality of his or her spouse and fulfills the requirements established by law;

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011

2) Any person having Dominican nationality before the effective date of this Constitution;
3) Any person born within the territory of the Dominican Republic, except those born to members of foreign diplomatic and consular missions, and foreigners who are “in transit” or reside illegally in Dominican territory. A foreigner “in transit” is any person defined as such by the laws of the Dominican Republic;
4) Any person born in a foreign country to a Dominican father or mother, despite having acquired, by place of birth, a nationality different from that of their parents. Upon reaching the age of eighteen, such persons may go before the proper authority and choose dual nationality or relinquish one nationality;
5) Any person marrying a Dominican man or woman, provided that such person chooses to acquire the nationality of his or her spouse and fulfills the requirements established by law;

And that law would say he has to full fill the same requirements of someone who was not married to a Dominican, right? I've been looking at this and can't see the difference, if he need apply, and go through the same steps, pay the same fees, what is the benefit?

mykulairon

Jul 14, 2012
This is something i've been trying to use as an incentive (or a push rather) for my fiance to finish with her citizenship here. If she can see me do it, then i know she'll put more effort into becoming a citizen of the U.S. Do I have to be currently living in D.R to start the process though?

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002

3) Any person born within the territory of the Dominican Republic, except those born to members of foreign diplomatic and consular missions, and foreigners who are “in transit” or reside illegally in Dominican territory. A foreigner “in transit” is any person defined as such by the laws of the Dominican Republic;
This is new, no ?
So If I am married to a Dominican lady (since a long while), resident for more than a decade, I can just apply to citizenship ???
Is it automatic ???
Do I still need to pay big fees and an apostilled act of birth ?
Thanks in advance !

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
This is new, no ?
So If I am married to a Dominican lady (since a long while), resident for more than a decade, I can just apply to citizenship ???
Is it automatic??
Do I still need to pay big fees and an apostilled act of birth ?
Thanks in advance !

Supposedly
No, not as far as I can make out.
No
yes

You're confused right? Yeh, me also, just what is new or different. Still need to go through the channels, pay the fees, blah blah blah.
it is the flying pig idea, actually, no it isn't, just because you say it is! Although it would be cool for someone of knowledge to clarify exactly, as it is it seems no one can do this.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I spoke to the Dominican Consulate in NYC. They told me I need:

My birth certificate apostiled
Our marriage certificate apostiled
Letter of Good Conduct from local police department, apostiled
6 passport photos - 4 frontal, 2 side views

I'm to bring all of the certificates to them - in NY - for the official translations.

Then I am to take all of the above to DR to fill the application for citizenship, Mr. AE has to be with me.

All this is according to the person I spoke to - what scares me is others have spoken to other people and have gotten different informaiton.......