GEt ready for some BIG NEWS: Residence News

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I just received a call from my friend in Santo Domingo and she told me that the highest levels of Migraci?n have indicated that there will be perhaps a 10 day amnesty for persons who are here right now on out-of-date Tourist Cards to request residency without having to go to their countries of origin!!!

This is major news. Apparently there are hold ups with the Papel de Buena Conducta that have led to this decision, so if you are in this condition and want to begin the process and want to contact my person, please send me a PM or and e-mail....

This is your chance, don't waste it!

HB

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I know someone who just returned from the US. Their lawyer told them just before they returned there would be no problem applying for residency in the DR. Looks like that might work if they do it soon.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
I can second that. I went Tuesday to talk to her. I am due for the medical examination next week. Case solved!

Get in touch with HB is all I can say!!! :)

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
So, if you don't have all the needed documents here, can you start the process with the medical exam and buy some time while getting them (even if it requires a trip back to your country of origin?)

bermyboy

Bronze
Dec 13, 2007
Ok but what happens if thats not possible in the next 10 days are overstayers getting deported or whats the deal ? Good news gor those that can have thier paperwork ready but it will take longer for some.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Sorry for the double post. This is a real opportunity if it is possible to take advantage of the 10 day window by initiating the process, but if you need to have all the documents in hand, 10 days would not help the vast majority of those on expired tourist cards. If I had mine, I would have applied a long time ago

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Need to verify, but as I understand it is one has to start the procedure in between this time frame...

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
It's not "official" yet, but will be next week. The clock doesn't start ticking until then.

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
Come on guys, HB is throwing a live saver to everybody "residing" here on an overstayed tourist card. Why asking questions and losing time now, get going!!!

bermyboy

Bronze
Dec 13, 2007
Understandable mido but if by starting the process means starting with your medical great!! It will take time to get documents translated and notarised Im just saying. Still no answer on what happens to the snow birds and people who overstay and do not do or can not to this in the 10 day requierment?
I think its great you get 10 days to do this but still no clarification on all the other question in saying that thanks for the help HB.

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
For the moment being there seems to be a window open for the "overstaying" residents (the ones who are doing this for years...). Why shouldn't these folks be able to get their process at least started even with a couple of doc's missing for the moment? The snowbirds can be handled later when there time is coming.

bermyboy

Bronze
Dec 13, 2007
This is my question mido for instance can you go to your laywer and lets say get the medical and hence the process is started?Also honestly some expats may not have extra 1500-2000 g around for this times are tough theres a recession Im just saying. Now lets say you start tomorrow with you medical and in a few weeks get your documents together this will work out great.

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
I think it's time to contact HB, his friend seems to have the answers for your questions.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
Thanks for the heads up HB.

I am going to prepare the documents today. I have just talked to our company's head officer about this. I was holding it off because of the cost and uncertainty of us staying here for real. But I guess since we are settling here just fine, it about time we get the process going. I don't know which lawyer we are using but our company had gone though this few times before and have a lawyer that handled the cases. I am going to leave it to people in our company for few days but if I don't hear/see any result/process or our lawyer don't know about that 10 days windows. I'll contact you next week.

Thanks and I owe you a beer for this...
No joke.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
This is my question mido for instance can you go to your laywer and lets say get the medical and hence the process is started?Also honestly some expats may not have extra 1500-2000 g around for this times are tough theres a recession Im just saying. Now lets say you start tomorrow with you medical and in a few weeks get your documents together this will work out great.
My understanding is the medical is scheduled AFTER all the required documents are assembled.

And it's only good for 30 days (someone correct me if I'm wrong, please...)