DR killed my iPad!

Smart

Bronze
Jun 16, 2012
I recently returned from the DR and my iPad will now not take a charge on UK mains or even from the PC. As it was charging fine in the hotel in DR I am presuming something has happened while there. I've had a few iPads, I upgrade regularly and never had this issue before and so am quite convinced it is something that happened while in DR.
Could anyone tell me if they have an iPad if something similar has ever happened, or even if there is an automatic charge adjustment i am unaware of that can be changed. I could contact Apple initially but I first would need to know possibilities so I do not effect my warranty by saying something that could void the policy.

thankyou.

May 29, 2006
It's to be expected once in a while if you don't use a surge protector. Also, isn't UK a different current?? Happened to me about 10 years ago. Usually it just fries the charger which SHOULD have an overload switch, but doesn't. You can check to see if the charger is still working but if it won't charge with a USB from a comp, it's prob toast. Try to send it back and don't give any details on your trip. Consider it a rite of passage.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Lets see. You dont want to just tell them the truth and you want us to help you avoid spilling the beans about what actually happened. This is a good question from the on board number one fanboy. Be patient he will be here.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
this happened with my iphone once and after a hard reset of the iphone it worked fine again (pushing the on/off button on top and the home button simultaneously for long enough to have the screen go to Slide to switch off, still keep pressing, until you see the apple symbol appear and disappear). I dont know if the same procedure works for the iPad

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
this happened with my iphone once and after a hard reset of the iphone it worked fine again (pushing the on/off button on top and the home button simultaneously for long enough to have the screen go to Slide to switch off, still keep pressing, until you see the apple symbol appear and disappear). I dont know if the same procedure works for the iPad

It works the same for the IPAD.

Jan 17, 2009
I have an iPad which I mainly use in the DR, and sometimes abroad. Never had a problem with it not charging. Try a hard reset as described a I've and make sure it is not your cable and charger that are not bad. I have had a problem with bad cables in the past but with my iPod.

I hope you know you can't charge your iPad in some older laptops.

I recently returned from the DR and my iPad will now not take a charge on UK mains or even from the PC. As it was charging fine in the hotel in DR I am presuming something has happened while there. I've had a few iPads, I upgrade regularly and never had this issue before and so am quite convinced it is something that happened while in DR.
Could anyone tell me if they have an iPad if something similar has ever happened, or even if there is an automatic charge adjustment i am unaware of that can be changed. I could contact Apple initially but I first would need to know possibilities so I do not effect my warranty by saying something that could void the policy.

thankyou.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
the charger maybe fine as it adjusts automatically between 220 and 110 volts.
Note: if you connect the ipad to charge with iphone's small charger or if you use computer's USB port then the current will not be sufficient to keep your ipad's screen on while you use it as it's still charging. You will get a message in on top that will say "not charging". In reality, the ipad will charge if you turn off the screen and let it go to deep sleep. example: leave it to charge on a iphone's charger or connected to usb port of the laptop and in the morning, the ipad will be charged.
if this is the case then you simply buy a new charger for ipad2 10watts from ebay. make sure it's 10 watts as it will work for all models of ipads. I will even say that an after market ipad charger (10 watts) will work fine too.
AZB (iphone/ipad tech)

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
I concur with AZB

1. See if it's the loader or the iPad, try connecting something different to the charger, for example an iphone or laptop
2. Try hooking the Ipad up to another charger, try an Iphone chargecable directly connected to the outlet on the wall

Then you know what part is faulty.

ccarabella

Feb 5, 2002
I tried my small Iphone charger as well as my iPad's larger square charger while using my IPad and did not get a "not charging" message. Both show a thunderbolt thru the battery icon @ top right which means the IPad is actually being charged.

OP Did your iPad ever work?