Urologist

K

KenDP

Any strong recommendations regarding urologists in Santiago or Santo Domingo? I've gone to Dr. George F. Riley at Clinica Abreau in past, and have no reason not to again, however, I've been out of country for several years so thought that before making an appointment I'd check with the message board to see if there might be someone considered even better.

H

hillbilly

George is an excellent one. I know him.

You might want to see Dr. Joaquin Alvarez, a McGill trained urologist at the Clinica Corominas in Santiago,
I can get his number, but it is in the book..

HB

R

reference

Re: George is an excellent one. I know him.

What about ECH? One of your own "veterans". Wouldn't you recommend him?

E

ECH, M.D.

Re: VOTE OF CONFIDENCE

Thank you very much for your vote of confidence whoever you are. Although I do "special" consults at times, (I am the only NEURO-UROLOGIST on the ENTIRE Island)I am currently not in private practice at this time. I am semi-retired and I devote my time to teaching Medical Students at the University and Residents at the Urology Training Program in a public hospital.
I do not know Dr. George Riley but unless you are dissatisfied with his care and treatment of you, I would suggest you continue with his service simply because he knows your case and you know him

P

Pib

A what?!

Forgive me ECH for I do not know anything about medicine, I am flabbergasted, what the heck is a neuro-urologist? Is it who one needs when a guy's brain is somehow affected by something wrong in the rear-plumbing?

Just wondering...

E

ECH, M.D. FACS

Re: FAIR QUESTION

Neuro-urology, the medical field that deals with myoneurogenic bladder disorders. This is what occurs when a patient has a spinal cord injury (paraplegic or quadraplegic), stroke or other neurologic disorder resulting in a paralyzed bladder (even diabetes mellitus). These patients usually need cathethers and the complications from catheters are chronic infection, stones, bladder spasms and a myriad of other problems. The field also deals with erectile dysfunction that is related to organic problems as opposed to psychogenic origins. I hasten to point out that spinal cord injured patients usually die from complications of renal disease if they survive their initial spinal cord injury. The subspecialty requires an ADDITIONAL two years of training in an approved Fellowship Program AFTER completion of the normal 5 year Urology Residency program. Hope this explains.
BTW: My Fellowship was done at the Ernest Bors Spinal Cord Injury Unit of the VA Medical Center in Long Beach, California. The largest Spinal Cord Injury (SCI) unit in the world! For those old enough to remember...the movie, "THE MEN" (1950) starring Marlon Brando was made there!