Banco Popular ATM Malfunction - no money

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
First time this has ever happened to me. Went to the ATM, took out 10,000 pesos and everything worked fine. Attempted to take out another 5,000 pesos and the money appears to have jammed as it was about to dispense the bills. The screen said the transaction was cancelled. No receipt was produced. The machine then appeared to reset itself so I tried again... unfortunately with the same result. Screen said the transaction was cancelled and no receipt. I got home and sure enough, the last two transactions went through even though the machine said the transactions were cancelled. I called my US bank and they have initiated a fraud claim but I've little faith that anything will come of it. I'm sure my 10,000 pesos are long gone. My US bank says they will contact Banco Popular to have them balance out the ATM. I almost laughed at the poor woman. I said "This is the Dominican Republic we are talking about." I'm contemplating going to the local Banco Popular branch at Palma Real in the morning but I'm not sure it would serve any purpose. The ATM wasn't at a branch... it's the one in front of Barcelo Dominican Beach Hotel in Cortecito.

Will going to the branch office do any good?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I would go to the branch in Fruisa instead of the one in Palma Real. It is much larger, and is the main branch in the area.

It is located just past Plaza Riviera heading from the gas station towards Plaza Bavaro.

vid809

Jun 28, 2011
Did you check if there was a phone number on the actual ATM to call in a claim, most likely there isnt but it doesnt hurt to look. Last time this happened to me (In the US) i called and made a claim, which they could verify and refund my money.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Ive had money cancel on me but not come out of the account. Machines in DR dont seem to know when they are empty and to close down. Sure id go to the bank, if it wasnt dispensed and your data is there then you should get it back. Banco Pop are ok as far as customer care goes.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Insanely, I had the exact same thing happen to me with a BHD machine - to the tune of 17,000 pesos, which was almost $500 at the time. They took the money from my US checking account, no money came out of machine. I reported it to my US bank, who immediately put the money back into my account 'conditionally'. When I returned to the US I found a claim form in the mail, which I completed and sent back - lo and behold, I did actually get every cent back permanently.

They sent a request to DR, and they DO check the individual machines and balances in them every day, and they did confirm that I didn't get any cash.

So don't give up yet, just be SURE to send back the claim form they send you, it must be signed and returned.

You can do NOTHING in DR, the claim must be made by your home bank. Trust me on this - my brother-in-law was a senior VP at BHD at the time, and he couldn't help. Don't waste your time trying to get the $$ from the DR bank.

Aug 21, 2007
Insanely, I had the exact same thing happen to me with a BHD machine - to the tune of 17,000 pesos, which was almost $500 at the time. They took the money from my US checking account, no money came out of machine. I reported it to my US bank, who immediately put the money back into my account 'conditionally'. When I returned to the US I found a claim form in the mail, which I completed and sent back - lo and behold, I did actually get every cent back permanently.

They sent a request to DR, and they DO check the individual machines and balances in them every day, and they did confirm that I didn't get any cash.

So don't give up yet, just be SURE to send back the claim form they send you, it must be signed and returned.

You can do NOTHING in DR, the claim must be made by your home bank. Trust me on this - my brother-in-law was a senior VP at BHD at the time, and he couldn't help. Don't waste your time trying to get the $$ from the DR bank.

Happened to me, too, a couple of years ago, and that is exactly how it all worked.

Lindsey

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
At a ATM at Scotia Bank in Santo Domingo they slipped a 100 peso note in with the 500 peso notes. My 9000 peso withdrawl wound up being only 8600 while the receipt said it was 9000. Bunch of crooks !

bermyboy

Bronze
Dec 13, 2007
if it is an international card call your bank immediately I have had the same thing happen to me here and had to deal woth my bank at home, If your ATM card is Banco Popular then you will have to deal with them. Good luck

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Living on the edge.......

25ai5ad.jpg

My "checks" have always dispensed my pesos!

Unfortunately, some people aren't in a position to use a "Casa de Cambio"

I have only had 2 problems with the Casa de Cambio:

(1) Once I forgot to sign the check and had to go back in the next day.

(2) Once the girls gave me $8,000 pesos too much. I immediately gave it back.
The peso amount was $10,800 (Diez y Ocho) and for some reason, both girls read it as $18,800.

I always count as they count and knew something was wrong
It took me a while to explain their mistake to them, but then they were extremely happy.

Last edited:

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
First time this has ever happened to me. Went to the ATM, took out 10,000 pesos and everything worked fine. Attempted to take out another 5,000 pesos and the money appears to have jammed as it was about to dispense the bills. The screen said the transaction was cancelled. No receipt was produced. The machine then appeared to reset itself so I tried again... unfortunately with the same result. Screen said the transaction was cancelled and no receipt. I got home and sure enough, the last two transactions went through even though the machine said the transactions were cancelled. I called my US bank and they have initiated a fraud claim but I've little faith that anything will come of it. I'm sure my 10,000 pesos are long gone. My US bank says they will contact Banco Popular to have them balance out the ATM. I almost laughed at the poor woman. I said "This is the Dominican Republic we are talking about." I'm contemplating going to the local Banco Popular branch at Palma Real in the morning but I'm not sure it would serve any purpose. The ATM wasn't at a branch... it's the one in front of Barcelo Dominican Beach Hotel in Cortecito.

Will going to the branch office do any good?

Good luck Insane... I do think you might continue to pursue it with your U.S. bank too. It might require signing an affidavit, or something, but if you don't get satisfactory response, it might be worth going over the head of a first tier bank rep, and taking it up a step or two to a manager. Might work, might not... but it's worth a try. Banks are under pressure these days to provide good customer service.

BTW... when I tried to use that machine a couple of years ago, it wouldn't accept my U.S. card, so I've never tried using it again. I'm surprised it worked for the first withdraw. After hearing this, I'll continue to use other machines.

OPPSSS... wrote this before reading Alter's post. Was exactly what I was talking about.

Last edited:

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
Thanks for all the responses. My US bank, Schwab, has been very helpful. Their customer service is the best. I've mentioned this before on this site, but if you have a US bank account I would highly recommend switching to Schwab. Aside from the incredible customer service, they charge no fees. At all. None! (For their checking account services). ALL ATM fees are refunded at the end of each month. I filed the fraud claim last night over the phone. Didn't have to fill out any forms. The rep was eager to give me her direct contact info so I could follow up with her. If, after 10 days, they haven't resolved the issue they will put the funds back into my account.

CaptnGlenn, I had trouble using that machine (it would tell me 'invalid transaction' whenever I tried to take out money) in the past with my US ATM card. For the past year it has worked just fine until this incident. I'm generally in the habit of using the Banco Popular ATM that's in front of the Hotel Carabela. That one seems to be in much better condition.

All in all this won't deter me from using ATMs. This is the first time in 30 years that I've had an issue. Not a bad track record if you ask me.

bizzyboneizo

Aug 31, 2010
i was going to say the same thing when ever i take out big amounts of money i just do that inside the bank

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
Update: Banco Popular was absolutely zero help. They pretty much just threw their hands in the air and said there was nothing they could do. So whoever reconciles the ATMs made a quick $250 that day.

My bank tried repeatedly to get a response from them to no avail. Thankfully they took my word for it and I had the money back in my account within 10 days.

As I said in my earlier post. Schwab is AWESOME!!!!

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
This happened to me about a year ago and BofA paid back my money when I claimed it and after about a month they send me a notification that they investigated with the local bank here and that I was right and could keep the money. It was at the ATM in front of UCE in SD, not sure if that's popular, but I think it is.

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
The maintenance of Popular's ATM's are conducted by a different division from the branch network. The machines are balanced every recharge. Your bank will be reimbursed by Popular's HQ when they present their claim. Popular will never deal with the client. You were using a foreign cc so you will be reimbursed via that card.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I usually goes into the bank to do my withdrawals. Then i am certain i recieve all of my money.

You are able to get money inside the bank from your foreign checking or savings account?
Or are you using your card as a credit card and paying those associated fees?