Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Help needed - gift shops

I am having trouble locating people in charge of gift shops here in Dominican Republic. Whenever I walk up to a shop assistant, I always get the same answer - "The owner is not here and I don't know when he is coming and I don't have the phone number"

It seems like all the stores have the same items for sale and they don't need anything new.

The thing is, I am a videographer and wanted to distribute my DVDs about the most beautiful sights of DR. I don't have time to open a new store being really busy with my main work.

I am not at all a sales guy and it is especially hard for me to get accustomed to the local ways of running a business. I would really appreciate your advise, I am looking for those gift shop owners or distributors who would be interested in this film.
    Thanks in advance
    Dmitry

You can watch the film trailer on youtube
    Dominican Republic Beaches in relaxing HD film - YouTube

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, trying similar things before (not w/ DVD's or such) I would say there is not much possibility that they buy it from you (not b/c it is a film but in general). Maybe on commission, not sure...

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

It's much easier with stores run by expats, they are interested and I found two who now sell these DVDs. But most of the shops are run by Dominicans who are never there. Commission based deals are out of the question here in DR ...

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

How about getting a Dominican (assuming you're not) to work as a sales agent for you? He/she will probably be much better able to get to talk to whoever does the buying and you could pay them a commission on whatever they sell. If they have any success they will also be more willing to spend the time on it that you can't.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

People need to see it playing to buy it. Are you ready to have a DVD/TV at all sale sites? Not sure what you are selling it for but a $15 download would not do it for me. It is a nice trailer. Not sure how long the link will be up since it is an advertisement for your website.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep, I knew that everything sooner or later will end up with me (an expat) dealing with girls Good idea but I would rather not, I do have a wife you know...... The best scenario for me would be a reliable sales person who knows how to reach out to those gift shops.

And also, where do they all buy their gift items? I couldn't localize a single wholesale place either...

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I am not selling anything here on DR1, I am only asking for help. I agree that a TV would help sell it, in fact I have sales statistics proving this. Sure enough, there is always a way to make this happen.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by miozio View Post
    Yep, I knew that everything sooner or later will end up with me (an expat) dealing with girls Good idea but I would rather not, I do have a wife you know...... ...
    Who said anything about girls?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

"How about getting a Dominican (assuming you're not) to work as a sales agent for you?"
    This is very strange, I think I read between lines about sales girls LOL

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I've seen (and purchased) matted photos at a gift shop, that were definitely supplied by the photographer. The same shop was selling a couple of the books that were written by other DR1 members. IIRC the cookbook and the general info book for expats. I agree with the comment that the purchasers would have to see the the dvd playing to be enticed to buy it. I can't imagine someone just seeing a random video for sale and buying it without some kind of idea of what they are getting. Also, with all due respect, I think a video is a much harder sell than photos or other art. I mean, who's going to sit in front of their TV or monitor and watch a video of the beach unless they shot it themselves, or had some other pressing reason to? (no, I didn't click your link and watch the promo)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast