Cistern cleaning

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
Does anyone know of a company or person in S.D. that does cistern cleanings for a decent price? Or any advice on how to do it myself... Waitied too long to do it and now i've got a problem with the water causing some major itching after bathing... lol

May 29, 2006
Look for pool shock dry bleach and follow the directions and let it sit, then flush it. Check for mosquitoes since they can be a cause of itching if they are laying eggs in the cistern. A couple tsps of veg oil will kill any bugs in the tank.

If there is any way at all a mouse can get into the tank, put a rope into the tank for it to climb out. Sounds a goofy but it will prevent them from drowning. Of course, it's better if they can't get in.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I use this guy:

Rafael, 809 834 3200

I pay him 1500 pesos. They bring a pump to empty the cistern, but you might want to shut the valve for a few days to not have all those gallons of water spilled.

He cleans my tinaco also, I think for 500 pesos

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
Thanks for the reply.... Spent most of the day draining the cistern but still got 2 feet left and the pump is blazing hot so I gave up for the day.... Seems like there is a lot of sand on the bottom and rusted metal flakes that have come off the inside of the cistern lid. Dont see any mosquitos in the cistern. How sure are you about the vegetable oil? Would corn oil do (out of veg oil at the moment lol)? What kind of bugs would the oil take care of?

Last edited:

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
I use this guy:

Rafael, 809 834 3200

I pay him 1500 pesos. They bring a pump to empty the cistern, but you might want to shut the valve for a few days to not have all those gallons of water spilled.

He cleans my tinaco also, I think for 500 pesos

Thanks for the contact! Quick question, where abouts in S.D. are you... Dont want to waste the guys time if he's based too far away.

May 29, 2006
Any kind of food oil would be fine and it will kill any bugs that lay eggs in water. I read about it for controlling mosquitoes in PR in a paper about 100 years old. It only takes a little bit since it will spread out over the water.

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
Great! Im one sector over in San Geronimo... Will definitely be giving him a call tomorrow. Thanks again!