Driver's license

elfred77

Jun 16, 2011
Does anyone happen to know the fees associated with getting a driver's license in the D.R., or if this info is available online somewhere? I am not there now, so it's hard for me to call and check with the proper agency. Thank you

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
You can find all the info on this website in Spanish, I don't know if there is an English version available somewhere:

MOPC - Ministerio de Obras P?blicas y Comunicaciones

The prices are at the bottom. Now, if your consulate here homologates your license then you can go ahead and just switch your license for a Dominican license, can be done in one day. Look at "Cambio de Origen". They let you keep your original license so you end up with two!
This is not possible for Americans.

If not you have to go the normal route as described in the webpage.

In any case you need to be a legal resident first and have "cedula".

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
I would never give up my US lic. So go through the process and get your DR one as well.

Bob K

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I would never give up my US lic. So go through the process and get your DR one as well.

Bob K

I tried to maintain my US driver's license, but not having a residence in the US caused me to lose it. If you are from the US you cannot change your license to a DR license because the US authorities will not validate your US license so you need to get a DR license on your own.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Bob, they let you keep your original license, you end up with two licenses!

As I mentioned, this won't work with the DR license unless the US now validates licenses. Also, having only a DR license has not proven to be a problem when I visit another country.

I did notice on the link provided that they have separate licenses for motorcycles. I have never seen one of those.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
the US does not validate licenses as they are issued by each state not the feds. I have been through the DR license process, and they never asked for my US license.

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
@ windeguy: I don't care if others have one but I sure want my kids to have a drivers license before using any motor vehicle, if required.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I tried to maintain my US driver's license, but not having a residence in the US caused me to lose it. If you are from the US you cannot change your license to a DR license because the US authorities will not validate your US license so you need to get a DR license on your own.

And that means you start with a "Learner's Permit" and after, I think 30 days, you can apply for the Regular License.

Forty years of driving and I had to get a "Learner's Permit" in the D.R. :mad: Crazy...............

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
And that means you start with a "Learner's Permit" and after, I think 30 days, you can apply for the Regular License.

Forty years of driving and I had to get a "Learner's Permit" in the D.R. :mad: Crazy...............

You get a temporary license that is good for one year. After 45 days you can go back and get a regular license.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
@ windeguy: I don't care if others have one but I sure want my kids to have a drivers license before using any motor vehicle, if required.

I respect anyone doing things correctly. Good for you.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
You get a temporary license that is good for one year. After 45 days you can go back and get a regular license.

That is correct .. they issue a temporary licence that is valid for 1 year and eligible for upgrade to permanent after 45 days.

Just go to any driving school, they virtually guarantee your license and will usher you through the process - often with no lessons !!
Only in RD !!! :))

kristen

Jan 17, 2009
drivers license

How long do you have to have a D.R license before you can apply for an international one and does anyone know the process and costs to do this?

Last edited: