Killings and crimes perped by cops - Where is this country heading?

Feb 7, 2007
It's really frightening to read news these days, about all the killings perpetrated by PN (Policia Nacional) cops, most of them high ranking officials. This compilation covers only most prominent cases in the last 30 days.

Here are just some bites:
Condenan a 20 a?os de c?rcel a un coronel PN - DiarioLibre.com
A PN coronel sentenced to 20 years for killing innocent citizen Jos? Rodolfo Rodr?guez in San pedro de Macoris on March 11, 2012. The PN coronel was still on active duty in Las Terrenas, until his sentencing last Friday.

El Caribe ? Oficial policial mata a un alcalde de Azua
A PN first Lt. kills the mayor of the municipal district Las Lagunas near Azua. Video footage shows 4 shots at very close distance (execution). Another PN patrol arrives after neighbors called emergency lines, and the footage shows the arriving patrolmen joking and talking with the first Lt (the killer), even though he has two guns in the hand. The PN patrolmen were released form duty and the first lt. arrested. Hey...but the story does not end here...

El Caribe ? Coronel PN secuestra de la Fiscal?a a oficial asesin? alcalde de Azua
Later that day, a PN coronel arrives with "backup" (two cars full of men) and "kidnaps" the first lt. from the District Attorney's office in Santo Domingo before this could be processed and charged. He was later "returned" (at around 8pm). As the article says this is the second time when other PN "officials" aka thugs come to "rescue" of their "brother in arms".

That first case was
El Caribe ? Ordenan arresto de 23 agentes por incidente de San Francisco which happened just a few days ago, in San Francisco de Macoris, where 23 "officials" came to "rescue" a PN cop sentenced to 3 months preventive custody for his killing of a civilian. The 23 officials were arrested and removed form duty, and among them are 3 colonels, 2 majors, and 2 first lts.

El Caribe ? Env?an a la justicia primer teniente policial mat? oficial de la FAD de su mismo rango
A PN first lt. was released from ranks, arrested and under investigation for killing a first lt. of the Dominican Air Force. the circumstances of the shooting are not yet clear.

El Caribe ? 30 a?os de prisi?n a capit?n de la Polic?a mat? a dos durante discusi?n
In another case, a PN captain was sentenced to 30 years in prison for killing two young people during a heated discussion after a small accident involving the captain's vehicle and the two young people. This happened on 24 June 2011.

Lo sentencian a 20 a?os por muerte de hombre - DiarioLibre.com
Looks like it's really not worth having discussion with cops in the DR. Another PN cop was sentenced to 20 years in prison for killing a young man, after previously having a discussion in a car wash, both under influence of alcohol; then PN cop followed the other person home where he killed him in front of his house.

El Caribe ? Sargento de la Polic?a encabezaba banda de atracadores de bancas
In La Vega, the PN sargant was arrested after finding out he was involved with an armed group that was suspect in several hits on "bancas de loterias" (lottery houses).

El Caribe ? Un oficial, un cabo y otros seis son apresados por asalto en discoteca ?frica
A total of 8 PN members are arrested, including one first Lt., for participating in an armed assault on the disco "Africa" on 25 May 2012 where they got away with RD$800,000.

El Caribe ? La Polic?a cancela raso integraba banda de atracadores
In another news, a PN cop was released from ranks and faces charges after he was accused of being the head of an armed group that was involved in motorcycle thefts on the North coast.

Apresa sargento mayor de la Polic?a y dos civiles con 12 kilos de coca?na - DiarioLibre.com
A PN Sgt. was arrested, along with 2 civilians, while transporting 12 kilos of cocaine on Las Americas higwhay.

El Caribe ? La Polic?a expulsa a 24 agentes por faltas graves
The PN releases from its ranks 24 cops, including several high ranking officials, mainly for their involvement in criminal activities, including drug trafficking.

Last edited:

Viajero

Bronze
Dec 16, 2011
To put this in context, is the situation getting worse than it has historically been?

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
I keep hearing people saying it is worse. Tour guides Warning tourists never to leave resorts (always been the case in the last 10 years), warnings at airports of possible hijack/robbery when leaving the port (always been the case last 10 years). Etc etc etc.
the big difference I notice of recent is the ease at which PN are active crooks, highwaymen, murderers, gangsters. In the past they kind of kept it under wraps, might pull someone down a dark road, or early hours. These days they don't care, daylight rush hours they are at it, they are now robbing natives more often than ever before, in their own barrios, outside their homes, in busy colmados. It seems the law is now bigger than the law and quite simply does not care. On the east side of the cap, even locals, people who have lived in the same homes for many years are turning and taking new routes when they see PN. They even take on responsibility of traffic cops now and are stopping my relatives who are taxi drivers, for tips. In years gone by they would not have gone anywhere near the taxis for fear of retaliation.
in all the big difference is the PN, they have upped the game now and are out of control, not that they were ever under control, but it is a different game now, they are now fearless, which is frightening. As much as the country has given me in terms of happiness, I am glad I do not live there anymore, I really do feel like the place is going backward, downhill on ice and no one seems to be doing anything to get it together.

I really wonder if it continues as it is that if in the not so distant future, the island will be inhabited by Haitians and Dominicans alone, bar the odd few hardcore stubborn old timers who simply wouldn't budge for an earthquake. I certainly know of many people wanting out but can't because they can't sell.

I think if you have a bubble you can be fine, but who wants to move to a Caribbean island to live in a bubble.

I also truly believe the PN are responsible for most robberies and murders, off duty or on duty I think PN are responsible for a hell of a lot of sh1t, more than other crooks, maybe 75% of crime.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
One thing I do find comforting is at least they ARE being arrested and sentenced

SHALENA

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Mr. AE showed me an article yesterday about a guy who was told to stop by an officer [AMET I think], and he kept going. Officer shot at the car and hit the driver.

Feb 7, 2007
I have never seen (read) about AMET shooting at drivers, but I have read several articles about PN shooting at drivers...usually in a "rougher" barrios, but there was also case on the Samana highway about a year ago.

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
I'm starting to wonder if the DR is going to become like Mexico with be-headings and drug lords and mass executions killing the tourist industry in the future.. This is another reason I like to stay inside the Gated Resort Condo Community near the Beach and Golf Course with my friends Smith and Wesson by my side at all times. When we do wander outside the Gates with the Car we are always mindful of are surroundings...

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Insane! When I visit I always try to keep a low profile. I went into my old barrio to visit a friend of the family who is sick and on my way out stopped at a colmado to buy a beer. Some drunk dude was up in my face asking why was I looking at him when in fact I was looking at a picture right behind him. I explained this to him and he sorta calmed down a little. If I would have played into his attitude who knows what would have happened. I try to evade situations like this all the time.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
The problem with the Police is that they are undertrained, underpaid, mostly uneducated and that the government just doesn't care.

Becoming a police officer is for many young men not a dream but just a way out; It's something they did just because they had nothing better going on in their lives. It's just a ****ty job you turn to because there was nothing else better. You are literally giving authority and a gun to the worst person possible.

For example, I had a neighbor whose son tried getting into college and failed, tried a couple of other things and failed too. In the end, he just decided to join the police.

Many officers are not knowledgeable on laws, procedures and handling evidence and many of the ones who are, just don't care much . They will tell you how unfair the Penal Procedure code is and how great it was that in the old days you could just torture or smack a confesion out of a criminal and solve the case "quick and easy."

The police needs to be restructured. It should be a real carreer that people look up to. It should require a good set of qualifications and skills for people to be accepted and provide quality education and training and a good salary and benefits so that officials could be able to support their families.

What the government spends on "botellas" and city hall payrolls for people who actually do not do anything, could very well be spent on restructuring the Police Forces.

The Problem is, most politicians don't care!

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Anyone want to purchase a slightly used bazooka..................
Hey, I gotta make a living...............

B in Santiago

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I keep hearing people saying it is worse. Tour guides Warning tourists never to leave resorts (always been the case in the last 10 years), warnings at airports of possible hijack/robbery when leaving the port (always been the case last 10 years). Etc etc etc.
the big difference I notice of recent is the ease at which PN are active crooks, highwaymen, murderers, gangsters. In the past they kind of kept it under wraps, might pull someone down a dark road, or early hours. These days they don't care, daylight rush hours they are at it, they are now robbing natives more often than ever before, in their own barrios, outside their homes, in busy colmados. It seems the law is now bigger than the law and quite simply does not care. On the east side of the cap, even locals, people who have lived in the same homes for many years are turning and taking new routes when they see PN. They even take on responsibility of traffic cops now and are stopping my relatives who are taxi drivers, for tips. In years gone by they would not have gone anywhere near the taxis for fear of retaliation.
in all the big difference is the PN, they have upped the game now and are out of control, not that they were ever under control, but it is a different game now, they are now fearless, which is frightening. As much as the country has given me in terms of happiness, I am glad I do not live there anymore, I really do feel like the place is going backward, downhill on ice and no one seems to be doing anything to get it together.

I really wonder if it continues as it is that if in the not so distant future, the island will be inhabited by Haitians and Dominicans alone, bar the odd few hardcore stubborn old timers who simply wouldn't budge for an earthquake. I certainly know of many people wanting out but can't because they can't sell.

I think if you have a bubble you can be fine, but who wants to move to a Caribbean island to live in a bubble.

I also truly believe the PN are responsible for most robberies and murders, off duty or on duty I think PN are responsible for a hell of a lot of sh1t, more than other crooks, maybe 75% of crime.

i wonder how this ties in with the HUGE and i do mean HUGE cocaine busts.... source of income drying up?

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
Anyone want to purchase a slightly used bazooka..................
Hey, I gotta make a living...............

B in Santiago

Out here we keep are **** wired tight at all times, you screw up in a fire fight I guarantee you a trip out in a body bag" PLATOON.

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
The problem with the Police is that they are undertrained, underpaid, mostly uneducated and that the government just doesn't care.

Becoming a police officer is for many young men not a dream but just a way out; It's something they did just because they had nothing better going on in their lives. It's just a ****ty job you turn to because there was nothing else better. You are literally giving authority and a gun to the worst person possible.

For example, I had a neighbor whose son tried getting into college and failed, tried a couple of other things and failed too. In the end, he just decided to join the police.

Many officers are not knowledgeable on laws, procedures and handling evidence and many of the ones who are, just don't care much . They will tell you how unfair the Penal Procedure code is and how great it was that in the old days you could just torture or smack a confesion out of a criminal and solve the case "quick and easy."

The police needs to be restructured. It should be a real carreer that people look up to. It should require a good set of qualifications and skills for people to be accepted and provide quality education and training and a good salary and benefits so that officials could be able to support their families.

What the government spends on "botellas" and city hall payrolls for people who actually do not do anything, could very well be spent on restructuring the Police Forces.

The Problem is, most politicians don't care!

I agree 100%. What I always say is even if the Government can't "afford" to give these guys a decent salary make it up different ways:
1) full medical and dental insurance paid for them and there family
2) life insirance
3) low interest loans for housing
4) early retirement

If you look at what NYC cops make, I believe it is $29K per year to start. That is **** money. However, a NYC cop can retire after 20 years of service.

May 5, 2007
I agree 100%. What I always say is even if the Government can't "afford" to give these guys a decent salary make it up different ways:
1) full medical and dental insurance paid for them and there family
2) life insirance
3) low interest loans for housing
4) early retirement

If you look at what NYC cops make, I believe it is $29K per year to start. That is **** money. However, a NYC cop can retire after 20 years of service.

"Average" NYC Officer starts at 39-40K per year and with overtime, shift differential etc quickly goes to to 50k. still poorly paid but a bit better than 29K

bermyboy

Bronze
Dec 13, 2007
The island on a whole is spiraling out of control in terms of violence gangs drugs and corruption. You now have the Mexican Colombian cartels here as well as the Puerto rican dons the Italian mafia and another big mafia the Russians. On top of that you have the Domincans being deported from the USA bringing the Urban American Gang Culture here to the DR and finding out that here its way easier to be a drug dealer or chapo than legal work. The Domincan Reopublic is one bog hub for Narco human trafficking whyy ???? Because of the obscene in your face corruption from the basic police officer right on through to politicians. Look at Figeroa for instance he had everyone on his pay roll .
Yes the are making big drug busts really these are a drop in the bucket compared to the drugs that are coming through here. They have to male it look like they are trying to do something so they act on some busts and say see we are doing our job. Unfortunately along with this comes the mentality of gangs and more and morew people are getting killed mopre youpth want to be gangsters and arent scared to proove themselves as really the life of a gangster with money and power sure beats making 5000 peso a month busting your butt!
Unfortunately I dont not see this problem going away as too many people are making money out of the deal also if the Government decides to delcare war on drugs likein Mexico you will see the violence ramp up 10 fold!!!!
In my opinion the DR should take a look at other means of combating this like dimcrimilization or legalization I know alot of you do not agree with this but remember when the USA made liqour illeagal it opened up all sorts pof blackmarket doors for the mafia and other criminal organizations to profit from the sale of liqour. it has been proven that prophibition does not work and that regulation and taxtation are the better ways. But like many things the DR does not want to admit there is a real problem here or really address it and according to Pichardo if the police had better cars and motorcycles they would be better police officers LOL. Seriously the PN is the biggest gang in this country and the government really has no control over them .

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I have never seen (read) about AMET shooting at drivers, but I have read several articles about PN shooting at drivers...usually in a "rougher" barrios, but there was also case on the Samana highway about a year ago.

In this case the driver ran a red light and when AMET tried to stop them they drove away. Maximo Gomez and JFK or 27 de Feb I think. AMET fired a shot at the car, it hit the driver but apparently that wasn't his intent. Driver is in hospital.