~~~~The Blues~~~~

preciosa2012

Jul 9, 2012
~~~~Buenas~~~~

I just returned from a trip to DR/Santo Domingo yesterday and I have the post-travel blues.

I have been reading DR1 for the last five years but decided to officially join the site and post a new members introduction thread now that I am no longer a voyeur.

What can I say about the DR? My mind is still processing everything. At times I felt so bad for taking the things I have here in the U.S. for granted, (i.e. my iPhone, AC, drinkable tap water, "fancy clothes", etc). Other times, I felt like I was in a world so different from my own that it was unreal (the poverty, the beautiful beaches, the new and delicious food, hearing Spanish 24/7), but mostly, I enjoyed my company. I was hosted by my friend of five years now and since I am bi-racial (Black and White), I was generally perceived as Dominican or maybe not such an "extranjera" until I spoke my "Spanish".

Anyhow, I look forward to posting about my experiences in Santo Domingo in the forums here on DR1, I have really enjoyed them over the years.

One observation I would like to address was natural hair (or the lack thereof) on the island. I wear a curly/coily afro and when I walked out into the receiving area of the airport I could just feel the "Dios Mio" in the air. lol. When I went swimming the next two days, I had my hair in flat twists, which look like braids from afar, and I only saw one Dominicana the whole trip with braids in her hair.

The natural hair movement here in the U.S. is very popular as women who previously used relaxers are embracing their real hair texture and my hair is the healthiest it has been in a long time.

Interesting and good topic for conversation, no?

Gracias for todos!

Dec 26, 2011

preciosa2012

Jul 9, 2012
@pollogringo that article was one of the best I've read on the subject. I was shocked at the name-calling and hair-pulling experiences, I mean this is 2012 right? Wow! I guess I won't get a job teaching English in the DR:disappoin because a blow-dry lasts all of two days on mi pelo malo. I just made a YouTube video I will post in a few if you want to see the video I made.

Dec 26, 2011
Girls with naturally-straight hair want curls. Girls with beautiful curls pay big bucks and do lasting damage to straighten them. It's crazy.

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
96% of dominican woman own or use or have fake hair extensions, and many of these extensions shed... just saying...

beastwood

Jun 30, 2011
My wife has naturally waavy to curly hair. It is beautiful. She used to straighten it but seems less concerned and I support this as it is lovely...not tight curls, perfect waavy body. My 15 yr old niece often bounces back and forth between straight and waavy. They live in villa mella, so i believe fashionista mentaility maybe softening the pelo malo thing in some cases.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Also, I would advise you to straighten your hair for anyone you are trying to impress on a professional level in the DR (job interview, church, anyone with a title).
Straight hair is also part of dressing up and natural, or curly hair in those situations is considered unprofessional. Don't shoot the messenger, I'm just telling you.
Getting a job interview and showing up with curly hair is akin to showing up topless.
I am African-American and hell naw, I'm not embracing any Afro of mine. Trying to comb that sh1t hurts and I just don't like how it looks. And it has nothing to do with denying my blackness, it has to do with my style just like I don't like light colored lipsticks. I will blow out my hair as long as I have hair to blow out, and although I don't wear extensions in the US, I do a lot in the DR just because of the ease and it protects my hair from the elements for a while (I always get sew ins)
So, to each his own but overall DR is a straight hair country and thank God they are cuz I just have no desire to be running around looking like Celie from the Color Purple

SHALENA

Zulu

May 27, 2012
just go bald like Demi Moore back in the day, it not only saves time but saves money as well.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I'd say if you want keep your hair natural, try nice microbraids from a Senegalese hair braider :)
Easy to maintain and long lasting

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
@pollogringo that article was one of the best I've read on the subject. I was shocked at the name-calling and hair-pulling experiences, I mean this is 2012 right? Wow! I guess I won't get a job teaching English in the DR:disappoin because a blow-dry lasts all of two days on mi pelo malo. I just made a YouTube video I will post in a few if you want to see the video I made.

I don't think that if you tried to get a job as an English teacher at a language center you'll be rejected just because of your curls.
Institutos are usually very tolerant and welcoming towards native speakers. I've heard of foreign people who have been allowed to teach in socks and sandals, even though that's unacceptable for local standards.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I am an absolute fanatic for the natural curly hair. When I first met my ex, she had never cut her hair in her life, and her curly hair went all the way down to her rear end.

While it seemingly isn't that popular, there's no shortage of commercials here that have models with curly hair.
Agreed.

Mi esposa does the "wash and shake" hair style.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
OP, try not caring what other people think. There isn't much more shallow than being judged by the curls of your hair. Screw 'em!

Do what YOU want.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
~~~~Buenas~~~~
One observation I would like to address was natural hair (or the lack thereof) on the island. I wear a curly/coily afro and when I walked out into the receiving area of the airport I could just feel the "Dios Mio" in the air. lol. When I went swimming the next two days, I had my hair in flat twists, which look like braids from afar, and I only saw one Dominicana the whole trip with braids in her hair.

The natural hair movement here in the U.S. is very popular as women who previously used relaxers are embracing their real hair texture and my hair is the healthiest it has been in a long time.

Interesting and good topic for conversation, no?

Gracias for todos!

Beauty standards are different everywhere. In the DR straight hair is considered beautiful and that's how it is. Should people go crawl under a rock and be ashamed of relaxing their hair? I don't think so!!

You will get the same "Dios Mio" feeling if you have anything that is different to local standards, wether it is a tatoo, a mullet or a turban.

Don't worry about other people and just enjoy your time wherever you are.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
It is very easy to get the blues in the DR ,,and I think all people coming from countries where the management of day to day life is better , get very down from time to time. It can be triggered off by drivers always cutting you off, or no one displaying good manners such as holding a door open or never waiting until you are finished talking to a shop assistant or the demands for a little money from everyone or always waiting for people to arrive at a set hour ..Good manners are very hard to find here .I think the best thing is justto get away for a week or two and relax...Dominicans are not relaxing although they are laid back