This just in. Grace period for C?dula renewals.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I good friend just received this news from our person in Santo Domingo and I thought it should be sent out to a wider audience:

Otra buena noticia es que la Junta Central Electoral otorg? un gracia a todos los extranjeros para que puedan renovar sus c?dulas vencidas con solo pagar RD$3,000.00, m?s RD$2000.00 de la renovaci?n. Les informo esto para que lo avisen a otros extranjeros que viven en B?varo y Punta Cana, para que aprovechen la oportunidad.

More good news is that the Central Electoral Board has granted a grace period to all foreigners so that they can renew their past-due 'c?dulas" by paying just RD$3,000 and RD$2.000 for the renewal.....

Spread the word folks.

I just hope to renew mine once more, in 2021!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HB

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
I good friend just received this news from our person in Santo Domingo and I thought it should be sent out to a wider audience:

Otra buena noticia es que la Junta Central Electoral otorg? un gracia a todos los extranjeros para que puedan renovar sus c?dulas vencidas con solo pagar RD$3,000.00, m?s RD$2000.00 de la renovaci?n. Les informo esto para que lo avisen a otros extranjeros que viven en B?varo y Punta Cana, para que aprovechen la oportunidad.

More good news is that the Central Electoral Board has granted a grace period to all foreigners so that they can renew their past-due 'c?dulas" by paying just RD$3,000 and RD$2.000 for the renewal.....

Spread the word folks.

I just hope to renew mine once more, in 2021!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HB
HB, with all due respect but this is old news but maybe some guys didn't get it yet.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
it is a little old, but apparently a lot of people have not done anything and that will complicate their lives.

I wonder if this is an extension of the current grace period????

Who can tell what the bureaucracy in Sto Domingo are up to???

Good day all,

HB

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Who can tell what the bureaucracy in Sto Domingo are up to??? HB

That's the whole problem in a nutshell...............
Even they don't know what they're up to.................
And we're all trying to figure out what a bunch of nuts are thinking...........

B in Santiago

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Once again, this was made public end of June, BUT some newspapers say the RD$3000 is the total to pay penalty (+2000 for the plastic), while other newspapers say it's a minimum and the press release on the JCE website (you would think they should know) say it's the MINIMUM fee you have to pay (up until 6 months late) and after that 500 pesos for each month extra.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Here is the deal:

• The new immigration policy is law. Through the immigration Department, there is no "amnesty," period. They only process applications for any sort of residency from those who have been granted a Residency Visa, and folks starting a Residency Visa must do so in their own country.
  • If you have a residency application in the pipeline, you're fine.
  • It's the Cancilleria who grants the Residency Visas, not Immigration.They are separate departments. This is where the confusion lies.
  • There is some friction or miscommunication between the Immigration Department and the Cancilleria. The Immigration bureaucracy changed the policies with little consultation with the Cancilleria (mostly patronage appointees with cushy "jobs" on foreign soil.) The Consulates on foreign shores have been SLAMMED and are totally unable to get a grip on either the paperwork or process. They have never done this before, there has been no training and the management in both departments are in turmoil (in other words, they are functioning at high Dominican standards.)
  • THERE IS NO OFFICIAL "AMNESTY." However to ease the burden at the Consulate level until the dust settles and the foreign-based Consulates can gear up, they are making a FEW exceptions FOR FOLKS ALREADY ESTABLISHED IN THE DR WITH FAMILIES, BUSINESSES AND PROPERTY/INVESTMENTS where return could constitute an undue burden...on a case by case basis...to obtain a Resident Visa without leaving the country. It's up to the Cancilleria when they get their pooh together and stop the exceptions.
  • The door could slam shut tomorrow or in a month. There is no time frame. It's all legal, but unofficial.
  • Once given the Residency Visa through the Cancilleria, the regular application for Residency apply through Immigration.

I hope this helps. It's about as clear as I could make it.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Once again, this was made public end of June, BUT some newspapers say the RD$3000 is the total to pay penalty (+2000 for the plastic), while other newspapers say it's a minimum and the press release on the JCE website (you would think they should know) say it's the MINIMUM fee you have to pay (up until 6 months late) and after that 500 pesos for each month extra.

This is what is says when you look up your cedula data.
Monto a pagar por atraso / Amount Due unpaid month(s) : Si tiene seis (6) meses o m?s de atraso pagar? RD$3,000.00 pesos. Si tiene cinco (5) meses o menos de atraso pagar? a raz?n de RD$500.00 por cada mes. / If you have six (6) months or more in arrears will pay RD$3,000.00 pesos. If you have five (5) months or less in arrears will pay at the rate of RD$500.00 per month.

Plus renewal cost. Is all clear now.

Matilda

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
This is what is says when you look up your cedula data.
Monto a pagar por atraso / Amount Due unpaid month(s) : Si tiene seis (6) meses o m?s de atraso pagar? RD$3,000.00 pesos. Si tiene cinco (5) meses o menos de atraso pagar? a raz?n de RD$500.00 por cada mes. / If you have six (6) months or more in arrears will pay RD$3,000.00 pesos. If you have five (5) months or less in arrears will pay at the rate of RD$500.00 per month.

Plus renewal cost. Is all clear now.

Matilda
where does it say that?

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Ok so I went to renew my residency on Monday. No idea if this is in the right place so mods please move if should be in another thread.

Arrived there at 8am and this is what was waiting next to immigration.

w9xpix.jpg

Makes one feel confident lol!

Anyway, not that busy, in and out in a couple of hours with new card. Mine was two years out of date and it cost 9,000 to renew as stated on website before it was closed for refurb. 3,000 for 2 years, 1,000 VIP and 2500 each year out of date. Whoever it was who said it was 1,000 a month was well and truly shafted.

Notices all over the place saying that the new law which should have been implemented June 1st would now be implemented August 1st. No one would comment on new regs - appeared they didn't know.

Matilda