• Thread starter Ronald McIntosh
  • Start date

Cascada de Limon

R

Ronald McIntosh

One day we motored to Salto de Limon Falls which is a natural waterfall hidden in the mountains of Las Terrenas. After walking through two tons of horseshit up a mountain we were greeted by the cascading waterfall where tourists bathe. I took a dip and looked around for a while. It was stunning, must see if you go to the area. Tipped the kids who guided us shoeless $100.00 pesos each. Did not take the horse ride, which means you need to be fit to make the trek up the mountain. It was arduous.

&

"The Tourist Watcher"

All treks to Dominican waterfalls take a bit of exercise, which is something we all need. I recommend you take the Salto De Jimenoa trek, which is very exciting since getting to it will test your jumping ability between giant boulders. Along the way there are smaller mini falls where you can actually take a cold shower(Water is quite cold). This beautiful waterfall is located in Jarabacoa. Also, alongside the Bayacanes River, on the highway they sell "AREPA", which is a sweet corn cake typical of the area at very good prices. Just before you get to the waterfall, stop by the Virgin altar at the famous "S" curve, where so many people have lost their lives in accidents due to excessive speed. Many people make their offerings and place flowers at the Virgin. And only 1 mile up on the left side is Alpes Dominicanos, where you can rent a fully equipped duplex or a villa at reasonable prices.Nice typical restaurant there with views to the highway and mountains. If you drive, be very attentive of the sharp curves. It is otherwise a nice drive and reasonably safe considering is almost a 45 degree angles in some areas.

T

Tom F.

Que Pasa TW

I always heard it called Torta not Arepa. The corn bread sold off the highway near Pimintel is also called Torta and is completely different.

&

"The Tourist Watcher"

Re: Que Pasa TW

Same thing. When you see it in the Bayacanes road by the river, wether you call it torta o arepa is the same thing. There is only one. I have always known it as arepa.

M

Marilyn

I just wanted to make a clarification about the trek to Salto de Jimenoa, you don't have to jump boulders, you can cross the river using the hanging bridges, and from there is a little uphill trek but not nearly as bad as El Limon, I did El Salto de Jimenoa with my 65 yr old mother, but wouldn't dream of taking her to El Limon, even though for those nature lovers, El Limon offers a beautiful view of the Dominican countryside and it's simply awesome, but you really have to be fit to make the trip.

A

Andy

Although some people may prefer to hike into the el Limon waterfall, it is best to ride in by guided horseback and avoid the physically-challenging trek up the mountain. The horses at the various paradas are so used to making this trip that even the most inexperienced novice rider is perfectly safe. I wouldn't hesitate to having my own 83 year old mother make the excursion. For more information regarding el Limon, see the Waterfalls listing under the Attractions section of Samana.Net.

M

Marilyn

You can only go so far by horse, the rest of the trip is a steep down hill and very slippery and muddy, so we did it by foot and even then I wouldn't have been able to do it without the help of the guides that almost carried us on their backs. I don't know if it was because it was rainy season, but it was definitely very slippery and steep, but we had a lot of fun watching each other slip and fall....