after one year living in Bavaro ... safe place to live? wondering if it is ...

rubenpriego

Feb 28, 2011
I dont know what you think guys, but looks like Bavaro is not as safe as it could seem.
After a year living here I have heard some news about robberies, killings, security condominium guards entering apartments and stealing ...
I know no place in the world is 100% safe, I know everywhere there are robberies, killings, etc ...
But this is a small place, so there should be less bad news ...
In my home town, Barcelona, you feel million times safer than here.
And of course, your life is not threatened for just a cellular phone or so ...
Wondering if I want to raise a family with kids in this place in the coming future ....
Cheers.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
I dunno, bavaro is pretty safe as long as you aren't wandering around friusa at 2am, get mixed up with the crazy Russian delinquents of who seem to cause all the problems in bars. They are a dangerous breed constantly drunk flipping guns at people in bars to demand authority.
Bavaro is like little Haiti these days, and so you will hear of issues between them, shootings, robberies, but they tend to keep it to themselves. Don't make friends with anyone who doesn't earn as much as you and life will be fine.
i couldn't imagine raising a family there though, bavarois is mind numbingly boring with not a lot to offer young people.
bavaro is cool for a week or two in an A/I hotel, to chill out, but for me that is where the appeal ends.

Julia31

Jan 4, 2012
Barcelona DR

hmm Barcelona safe??? From what I know its a heaven for pickpockets..some elderly lady I met got injured real bad on her shoulder when someone was stealing her handbag..friends of mine got their caravan robbed..and so on. I really dont think its any safer than the DR

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
hmm Barcelona safe??? From what I know its a heaven for pickpockets..some elderly lady I met got injured real bad on her shoulder when someone was stealing her handbag..friends of mine got their caravan robbed..and so on. I really dont think its any safer than the DR

Again, it is the degree of violence that makes the difference. Everyone knows someone who has been robbed of some description in Barcelona, but it isn't necessarily 'that' dangerous. People will pick pocket you, rob the caravan while your out, etc etc. In DR people will rob your house whether your in it or not, not pick pocket you but stick a gun in your face and rob you. You come home while someone is robbing you in Barcelona, most of the time they'll run away, in DR, your more likely to get shot, or killed.
there is a difference there, if you get it?

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
The area has unfortunately changed in the past 5 years and not necessarily for the good. I know for a fact that the new Politur and Policia Nacional Coronels are working on getting things under control, I wish them all the luck. As mentioned before, the Russian community is starting to play a role in all this, not to mention the growing Haitian community in Friusa. That said, I think it's still a heck of a lot safer than most of the rest of the areas in the country with a similar population and it'll take a lot more than broken into apartments and petty thefts to make me move away from here.

rubenpriego

Feb 28, 2011
Again, it is the degree of violence that makes the difference. Everyone knows someone who has been robbed of some description in Barcelona, but it isn't necessarily 'that' dangerous. People will pick pocket you, rob the caravan while your out, etc etc. In DR people will rob your house whether your in it or not, not pick pocket you but stick a gun in your face and rob you. You come home while someone is robbing you in Barcelona, most of the time they'll run away, in DR, your more likely to get shot, or killed.
there is a difference there, if you get it?

You are so right givadogahome!!!! of course there are lot of pickpockets in bcn unfortunately (mostly morocan and rumanian inmigrants), but in bcn you will not be killed just to get your iphone and 99.9999% probability you will never get a gun in your face in your whole life ..THATS THE REAL DIFFERENCE!!!! What Julia says, telling bcn is as safe as bavaro makes me laugh a lot ...

Viajero

Bronze
Dec 16, 2011
I dont know what you think guys, but looks like Bavaro is not as safe as it could seem. But this is a small place, so there should be less bad news ... In my home town, Barcelona, you feel million times safer than here.

You're living in a 3rd world country. Why would you compare that to a city in Spain? Also, didn't you research the crime situation b4 you moved there?

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Really at a loss with all this "it's so much more dangerous" chatter.

Every year, folks complain about how it's like living in a war zone. And every year, I travel to various locations, and encounter none of that.

I understand the drug biz has taken a toll, but either I'm the luckiest guy in the universe, or some folks are embellishing a bit.