sosua to Santo Domingo airport...help with timing

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
I have a flight next thursday out of SD to Port-au-Prince leaving at 5pm.

Would those with experience think that it is feasible to take the 10.20am metro from sosua to catch this flight?

I am thinking that the bus should arrive before 3pm. Not sure how long it is by taxi from the metro station in SD to the airport, but presumably not more than 30 mins?

So, provided all goes to plan, i should be ok...si....o no?

ps and how much should i be looking at for a taxi from metro to the airport...500$?

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
I would take an earlier bus, and not chance it. You're relying on an assumption of good traffic through Puerto Plata, Santiago and Santo Domingo, and easy transit to the airport. That's not necessarily the case. My advice would be to be on a bus Caribe or Metro no later than 8 a.m.

Stuff happens, especially in regards to transportation, and you want to allocate time in case of an issue.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I agree with the above reply by DRob. Depending on traffic it could take 30 minutes just to get out of Santo Domingo Centro and onto the highway to the airport.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
that long? Ok, looks like you may be right guys.
Thanks
Metro station to the airport with good traffic can be done in 30 minutes easily,,,,,,,,,,,,,, but there may be construction going on, an accident. rush hour traffic, anything is possible so play it safe. If you arrive at the airport very early just go to the food court on the upper (third) level and enjoy a meal.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i would also take an earlier bus. metro and caribe on occasions change their passage through the city depending on the traffic but i have seen them arrive late nonetheless. taxis will also avoid the most congested roads but the passage through SD is a slow one at the best of times.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I'm not suggesting you take the later bus, but I'm surprised that it would take that long to make it to Santo Domingo unless they have a bunch of stops in between. Looking at their schedule it also looks like they make it to the airport as well.

It says:

SOS
POP/STGO/SDQ8:20 A.M.
POP/STGO/SDQ10:20 A.M.

<tbody>
</tbody>

Does that mean it goes from POP to Santo Domingo and then on to SDQ? Not sure.

It appears a bus leaves from Santo Domingo to SDQ every hour on the half...

STGO
SDQ11:30 A.M.
SDQ12:30 M.
POP/SOS1:15 P.M.
SDQ1:30 P.M.
SDQ2:30 P.M.
SDQ3:30 P.M.
**SDQ4:00 P.M.

<tbody>
</tbody>

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
STGO = Santiago
SDQ = Santo Domingo City Centro (bus depot on Avenida Winston Churchill)

....I'm not suggesting you take the later bus, but I'm surprised that it would take that long to make it to Santo Domingo unless they have a bunch of stops in between. Looking at their schedule it also looks like they make it to the airport as well.

It says:

SOS
POP/STGO/SDQ8:20 A.M.
POP/STGO/SDQ10:20 A.M.

<tbody>
</tbody>

Does that mean it goes from POP to Santo Domingo and then on to SDQ? Not sure.

It appears a bus leaves from Santo Domingo to SDQ every hour on the half...

STGO
SDQ11:30 A.M.
SDQ12:30 M.
POP/SOS1:15 P.M.
SDQ1:30 P.M.
SDQ2:30 P.M.
SDQ3:30 P.M.
**SDQ4:00 P.M.

<tbody>
</tbody>

Viajero

Bronze
Dec 16, 2011
I have a flight next thursday out of SD to Port-au-Prince leaving at 5pm.

Would those with experience think that it is feasible to take the 10.20am metro from sosua to catch this flight?

Have you considered going straight from Sosua to Port-au-Prince?

Viajero

Bronze
Dec 16, 2011
by bus? no way jose...its another 8 or 9 hours from SD as opposed to a 30 minute flight.
And im only there for the weekend

I was thinking you could get transportation (bus, car, plane) directly from Sosua/POP to Haiti, since Sosua is much closer than going all the way to SDQ, which is in the opposite direction?

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Are you sure you are flying out of sdq? Just making sure you are making you way to the correct airport in SD. Would hate you to arrive at Sdq only to find you're at the wrong port.