2009 suzuki xl 7

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Anybody have any experience with this car here in RD ?

2009 was the last year they were made.

Lots of room, good enough engine, trim is a bit weak but for the price it works.

I'm in the market !!! NOW!!

Thanks
WW

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
If you really want to know, Suzuki's are at the bottom of most reliability/quality lists in the U.S.

Many industry analysts say this is Suzuki's last year, and predict the company will be phased out.

Not sure about that, phased out. Can you post links to these industry analysts quotes?

Look at their sales and reliability record in Europe and Asia.
You need to look beyond the USA, as it's never been a big market for Suzuki cars.
The reason I brought a Swift, was it's high re-sale value in the DR and excellent reliability according to the guys at Santo Domingo motors service dept and all the reviews I read online.

XL7 sold very well all over, plus has some great reviews. If you find one in great condition and a good price, go for it!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Not sure about that, phased out. Can you post links to these industry analysts quotes?

Look at their sales and reliability record in Europe and Asia.
You need to look beyond the USA, as it's never been a big market for Suzuki cars.
The reason I brought a Swift, was it's high re-sale value in the DR and excellent reliability according to the guys at Santo Domingo motors service dept and all the reviews I read online.

XL7 sold very well all over, plus has some great reviews. If you find one in great condition and a good price, go for it!

Thats my take on it Robert.
The reviews I read back in 2009 were quite good, especially in the "value" category.

I think the resale prices are not too good, but I'm the buyer - so I treat that as good news.

There a few available for around $20k with 15,000 kms or less on them.

If you see the car you will appreciate the space - it has a full extra row for 2 in the rear.
When not used as seating, that equates to HUGE luggage room.

Thanks for the advice.

There are more on the road here than the US - which is why I asked here.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Yup, you're right. The article was referring to the US Market. They are doing just fine in the rest of the world.

Mea culpa.

But you really can't go on what the service dept. says at the dealer that sells them-the service at Autobritanica will tell you that Land Rovers have excellent reliability.

24/7 Wall Street's 10 Brands That Will Disappear in 2013

#6. Suzuki

Suzuki Motor Corporation sold just 10,695 cars and light trucks in the U.S. in the first five months of this year. That was down 3.9% compared with the same period in 2011. The sales gave the manufacturer a U.S. market share of just 0.2%.

The obvious reason the company has trouble moving its vehicles is their poor reputation. In the 2012 JD Power survey of U.S. vehicle dependability, Suzuki's scores in power-trains, body and materials, and features and accessories were below those of almost every other brand.

One sign Suzuki is having trouble selling its vehicles is that it currently offers a very aggressive zero-percent financing package for 72 months on all of its 2012 cars, trucks and SUVs. Yet even with aggressive sales tactics, Suzuki cannot improve its position in the American market. Most of its cars sell for less than $20,000 and its trucks and SUVs for under $25,000. Almost every other manufacturer with a broad range of vehicles has flooded that end of the market with cheap, fuel-efficient models. And what is arguably the most successful car company in the U.S. based on growth -- Hyundai -- is doing particularly well in this segment, leaving little room for a Suzuki comeback.

By Douglas A. McIntyre, 24/7 Wall St.

The 10 Well-Known Brands That Will Disappear in 2013 - DailyFinance
That's the US. Peugeot and Fiat don't have much traction there, either, but do elsewhere.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Speaking of Fiat, they say the FIAT Abarth is a really good car.
Competes well with the MINI

Not sure if its available here.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Speaking of Fiat, they say the FIAT Abarth is a really good car.
Competes well with the MINI

Not sure if its available here.
If you want to go that route, a hi-po small car, a Subutu WRX will knock your sox off...

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
No, I'm stuck on the XL 7.... I need the room for airport trips, golf clubs, etc.
I'm keeping the Jeep fpr 'around town' driving.

sarah1101

Apr 27, 2012
United States
I have an 08 XL7 in the US and I LOVE IT, I am in PA so we get both snow and sunshine and i haven’t had any problems. I do wish they made them after 09 because I would be buying another when this one bites the dust. We have the Luxury model with the 3rd row seating; so 7 passengers but with little cargo room, that is the downside for us! We have 4 children and need the seating! Mine is good on gas as well, I am sure it could be better but I don’t really have any complaints.</SPAN>

No, I'm stuck on the XL 7.... I need the room for airport trips, golf clubs, etc.
I'm keeping the Jeep fpr 'around town' driving.

ejl293

May 29, 2012
I have an '02 Vitara. It has been great for me here in the DR. I had a mechanic, unrelated to purchase of Vitara, tell me:
In Canada the order of choice (amongst popular DR jeepeta's) would be--Rav 4, Honda, Vitara. He said in the DR the order would have Vitara first due to its "ladder frame". I am not exactly sure what that is, but I had the impression it was a stronger base then the others.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I have an '02 Vitara. It has been great for me here in the DR. I had a mechanic, unrelated to purchase of Vitara, tell me:
In Canada the order of choice (amongst popular DR jeepeta's) would be--Rav 4, Honda, Vitara. He said in the DR the order would have Vitara first due to its "ladder frame". I am not exactly sure what that is, but I had the impression it was a stronger base then the others.
Ladder frame=traditional frame, not unibody.

It's a matter of personal preference, but IMO a real frame is MUCH stronger and less prone to joint fatigue like a unibody vehicle. They also carry heavier loads more comfortably.

Real trucks have real frames. Real frames are best for the bad (comparatively) roads here. In much of the states, Cananada and Europe a real frame isn't needed because the roads are generally better.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
But you really can't go on what the service dept. says at the dealer that sells them-the service at Autobritanica will tell you that Land Rovers have excellent reliability.

You can if you know the service manager and the ex-manager of National that had a fleet of Suzuki's.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I have an 08 XL7 in the US and I LOVE IT, I am in PA so we get both snow and sunshine and i haven’t had any problems. I do wish they made them after 09 because I would be buying another when this one bites the dust. We have the Luxury model with the 3rd row seating; so 7 passengers but with little cargo room, that is the downside for us! We have 4 children and need the seating! Mine is good on gas as well, I am sure it could be better but I don’t really have any complaints.</SPAN>

Thanks for the encouragement Sarah (and everybody else).
The XL 7 is the 3 row seat model .

I just need to do my negotiating now - never bought a car here - but I'm told that Sto Domingo Motors will give it an inspection for 4500 pesos.
They are the Suzuki dealer, I think.

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
Thanks for the encouragement Sarah (and everybody else).
The XL 7 is the 3 row seat model .

I just need to do my negotiating now - never bought a car here - but I'm told that Sto Domingo Motors will give it an inspection for 4500 pesos.
They are the Suzuki dealer, I think.

I was speaking with a friend of mine 2 days ago and a friend of his was selling a Vitara 2011 for about $950K, negotiable. I didn't see the vehicle but he tells me it is the full version.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I was speaking with a friend of mine 2 days ago and a friend of his was selling a Vitara 2011 for about $950K, negotiable. I didn't see the vehicle but he tells me it is the full version.

No, it can't be. They stopped making the XL 7 in 2009. But thanks.

I swore i'd never deal with these SDQ used car dealers.... I might have been wrong.

I missed my first choice. A seriously underpriced XL7 - $2kUS below market.
Not fast enough on the trigger - whodathunkit??.
ALWAYS PUT DOWN A DEPOSIT TO HOLD THE CAR!! while you're thinking

Second choice cost me that $2k savings -- had to pay the real market price.

I called Friday AM to get pricing for transfer, etc and said i would come Saturday AM to see and negotiate.

They met me up at JFK to guide me to the lot.
Took a test drive and then sat down.

VERY North American, (all in Spanish 'though and mine is still just passable).
They gave me the discount - I countered - and then we split it. Done!

They take the car to Sto Domingo Motors for me to get inspected and validated (sort of the equivalent of CarFax).... 3900 pesos.
Sto Dom Motors gurantees the car for one year after that -- We'll see how that promise turns out !!

My bank will wire the $$ to them and we're done.
Title, plates are included - I get my own insurance.

I will take Caribe tours to SD, they will deliver the car to me at the bus station and I'm on my way home.
Piece o' Cake..... espero !!?

It was my salesman's first deal.... how easy was that?

Pleasantly surprised so far, but in the world of car buying you need to hear a fat lady singing before you can breathe freely.
At least you need to hear the pitchpipe !!

Next week will tell the tale.
So far, 3900DRP for the inspection and $500US deposit. I think I'll live.

Another RD experience in the making.

Oh, and stopped at Nello's for costillas. They now have turkey burgers too !!!

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
No, it can't be. They stopped making the XL 7 in 2009. But thanks.

I swore i'd never deal with these SDQ used car dealers.... I might have been wrong.

I missed my first choice. A seriously underpriced XL7 - $2kUS below market.
Not fast enough on the trigger - whodathunkit??.
ALWAYS PUT DOWN A DEPOSIT TO HOLD THE CAR!! while you're thinking

Second choice cost me that $2k savings -- had to pay the real market price.

I called Friday AM to get pricing for transfer, etc and said i would come Saturday AM to see and negotiate.

They met me up at JFK to guide me to the lot.
Took a test drive and then sat down.

VERY North American, (all in Spanish 'though and mine is still just passable).
They gave me the discount - I countered - and then we split it. Done!

They take the car to Sto Domingo Motors for me to get inspected and validated (sort of the equivalent of CarFax).... 3900 pesos.
Sto Dom Motors gurantees the car for one year after that -- We'll see how that promise turns out !!

My bank will wire the $$ to them and we're done.
Title, plates are included - I get my own insurance.

I will take Caribe tours to SD, they will deliver the car to me at the bus station and I'm on my way home.
Piece o' Cake..... espero !!?

It was my salesman's first deal.... how easy was that?

Pleasantly surprised so far, but in the world of car buying you need to hear a fat lady singing before you can breathe freely.
At least you need to hear the pitchpipe !!

Next week will tell the tale.
So far, 3900DRP for the inspection and $500US deposit. I think I'll live.

Another RD experience in the making.

Oh, and stopped at Nello's for costillas. They now have turkey burgers too !!!
I was referring to a Vitara. So what did you wind up buying and how much?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I bought the Suzuki Gran Vitara XL7 - 2009.
Most, if not all of them , were made in Canada at the CAMI plant not far from London ON.

It's a stretch version of the regular Vitara - it has na extra row of seats at the rear... seats 7... but has the traditional Jeep look instead of the minivan appearance.

As I said earlier they have poor resale value and are discontinued so can be bought for +/- $20K US, just under 800,000 DRP
Supercarros still has a nice 2009 w/ 31,000kms on it , asking $19,500.

I think they are good value.
The discontinued part doesn't worry me. The engine is a reliable one and there are parts available.

All in all, its a good 'people mover' - and even looks good.
Google it.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Suzuki Grand Vitara 2009 En Venta en Rep?blica Dominicana @SuperCarros.com - #248982

OK, I bought it and have driven home. Great car.
I highly recommend this dealer - Victo Hugo ( real name, no joke) was the salesman and this was his first sale. !!
I have suggested they advertise here on DR1 - we'll see.

Thanks for all your help - Robert, The comment about National having a fleet was a big support.
In fact, as I drove the new autopista y'day, I noticed that there is a fleet of Grand Vitaras for the highway patrol cars.

There must be something good about them - if only the price.

This car has tire pressure monitoring, trip monitor system, oil life schedule, XM, bluetooth - the works.
In No America I have a new Jeep - Overland Summit and this car is equally well equipped --- from 2009 !!!

I missed a real steal on the first go 'round but got this one (cost me $2k more) . That first car was mispriced.

Give this place a try if you're in the market for new or used vehicles.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Looks like a nice jeep. Did you CarFax the VIN #?

I did a search but the car was built for export so doesn't show up on any North American data base.
Sto Domingo Motors imported it and has full records. The original warranty goes until Feb 2013. So it must have sat here for a while before selling.
It was serviced a year ago at 9500kms - has 15,000 now.

JD,
I was set on the XL7 b/c of the space and the value and there were only 3 on Supercarros.
I originally found one in POP - 26,000kms and like new.
I was ready to pull the trigger at $28,000 US and decided to do a bit more reasearch.

Lo and behold, the 3 on SuperCarros were all +/- $20,000US.
The 1st one was $18K w/ 13,000kms and sold before I could get to it. Seriously underpriced.
Another has 31,000km - asking $19,500
This one has residual warranty, 15,000kms and I got them to 775,000DRP so I'm reasonably happy - actually happy.

I still sting for missing the 1 st one and spending $2,000 more but......... thats life.

Once I was looking for car fro my daughter - identified it and went home to get the trade-in.
I returned 20 minutes later and the car was out for a test drive and sold on me.
P!ssed of was an understatement---- car salesmen can be whores sometimes.

Always put down a deposit - here its called "separacion"

I was first in line for that 1st car but went to the airport to pick up my wife and talk about it.
I was saving $10,000 over POP - I was thrilled !!!! to say the least.

I called back later in the day - same effing thing - the car had gone to Sto Domingo Motors for verification and sold on me.

Thats me - always a bridesmaid !!

Its a very sophisticated computer system as i said above. That US Jeep of mine is top of the line and has little on this car which is 3 yrs older.

Funny RD sort of thing -
the manufacturer's door sticker reads 07/07, so its a 2008 for sure but all the RD paperwork reads 2009.

I used that 07/07 to reduce the price.... but my registration reads 2009.

Oh , and its fast !