Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 2009 suzuki xl 7

Anybody have any experience with this car here in RD ?

2009 was the last year they were made.

Lots of room, good enough engine, trim is a bit weak but for the price it works.

I'm in the market !!! NOW!!

Thanks
    WW

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JDJones View Post
    If you really want to know, Suzuki's are at the bottom of most reliability/quality lists in the U.S.

Many industry analysts say this is Suzuki's last year, and predict the company will be phased out.
    Not sure about that, phased out. Can you post links to these industry analysts quotes?

Look at their sales and reliability record in Europe and Asia.
    You need to look beyond the USA, as it's never been a big market for Suzuki cars.
    The reason I brought a Swift, was it's high re-sale value in the DR and excellent reliability according to the guys at Santo Domingo motors service dept and all the reviews I read online.

XL7 sold very well all over, plus has some great reviews. If you find one in great condition and a good price, go for it!

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    Not sure about that, phased out. Can you post links to these industry analysts quotes?

Look at their sales and reliability record in Europe and Asia.
    You need to look beyond the USA, as it's never been a big market for Suzuki cars.
    The reason I brought a Swift, was it's high re-sale value in the DR and excellent reliability according to the guys at Santo Domingo motors service dept and all the reviews I read online.

XL7 sold very well all over, plus has some great reviews. If you find one in great condition and a good price, go for it!
    Thats my take on it Robert.
    The reviews I read back in 2009 were quite good, especially in the "value" category.

I think the resale prices are not too good, but I'm the buyer - so I treat that as good news.

There a few available for around $20k with 15,000 kms or less on them.

If you see the car you will appreciate the space - it has a full extra row for 2 in the rear.
    When not used as seating, that equates to HUGE luggage room.

Thanks for the advice.

There are more on the road here than the US - which is why I asked here.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JDJones View Post
    Yup, you're right. The article was referring to the US Market. They are doing just fine in the rest of the world.

Mea culpa.

But you really can't go on what the service dept. says at the dealer that sells them-the service at Autobritanica will tell you that Land Rovers have excellent reliability.

24/7 Wall Street's 10 Brands That Will Disappear in 2013

#6. Suzuki

Suzuki Motor Corporation sold just 10,695 cars and light trucks in the U.S. in the first five months of this year. That was down 3.9% compared with the same period in 2011. The sales gave the manufacturer a U.S. market share of just 0.2%.

The obvious reason the company has trouble moving its vehicles is their poor reputation. In the 2012 JD Power survey of U.S. vehicle dependability, Suzuki's scores in power-trains, body and materials, and features and accessories were below those of almost every other brand.

One sign Suzuki is having trouble selling its vehicles is that it currently offers a very aggressive zero-percent financing package for 72 months on all of its 2012 cars, trucks and SUVs. Yet even with aggressive sales tactics, Suzuki cannot improve its position in the American market. Most of its cars sell for less than $20,000 and its trucks and SUVs for under $25,000. Almost every other manufacturer with a broad range of vehicles has flooded that end of the market with cheap, fuel-efficient models. And what is arguably the most successful car company in the U.S. based on growth -- Hyundai -- is doing particularly well in this segment, leaving little room for a Suzuki comeback.

By Douglas A. McIntyre, 24/7 Wall St.

The 10 Well-Known Brands That Will Disappear in 2013 - DailyFinance
    That's the US. Peugeot and Fiat don't have much traction there, either, but do elsewhere.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Speaking of Fiat, they say the FIAT Abarth is a really good car.
    Competes well with the MINI

Not sure if its available here.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by william webster View Post
    Speaking of Fiat, they say the FIAT Abarth is a really good car.
    Competes well with the MINI

Not sure if its available here.
    If you want to go that route, a hi-po small car, a Subutu WRX will knock your sox off...

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

No, I'm stuck on the XL 7.... I need the room for airport trips, golf clubs, etc.
    I'm keeping the Jeep fpr 'around town' driving.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I have an 08 XL7 in the US and I LOVE IT, I am in PA so we get both snow and sunshine and i haven’t had any problems. I do wish they made them after 09 because I would be buying another when this one bites the dust. We have the Luxury model with the 3rd row seating; so 7 passengers but with little cargo room, that is the downside for us! We have 4 children and need the seating! Mine is good on gas as well, I am sure it could be better but I don’t really have any complaints.</SPAN>

Quote Originally Posted by william webster View Post
    No, I'm stuck on the XL 7.... I need the room for airport trips, golf clubs, etc.
    I'm keeping the Jeep fpr 'around town' driving.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I have an '02 Vitara. It has been great for me here in the DR. I had a mechanic, unrelated to purchase of Vitara, tell me:
    In Canada the order of choice (amongst popular DR jeepeta's) would be--Rav 4, Honda, Vitara. He said in the DR the order would have Vitara first due to its "ladder frame". I am not exactly sure what that is, but I had the impression it was a stronger base then the others.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ejl293 View Post
    I have an '02 Vitara. It has been great for me here in the DR. I had a mechanic, unrelated to purchase of Vitara, tell me:
    In Canada the order of choice (amongst popular DR jeepeta's) would be--Rav 4, Honda, Vitara. He said in the DR the order would have Vitara first due to its "ladder frame". I am not exactly sure what that is, but I had the impression it was a stronger base then the others.
    Ladder frame=traditional frame, not unibody.

It's a matter of personal preference, but IMO a real frame is MUCH stronger and less prone to joint fatigue like a unibody vehicle. They also carry heavier loads more comfortably.

Real trucks have real frames. Real frames are best for the bad (comparatively) roads here. In much of the states, Cananada and Europe a real frame isn't needed because the roads are generally better.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast