HELP on Claro's Cisco DDR2201 Modem......

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
Maybe somebody here have better knowledge on this modem. My wife has an internet phone and it uses following ports.

UDP 5060
UDP 20000-60000
UDP 123
TCP 10001

I have read a manual online somewhere and it said to set up the port triggering/firewall and some site have suggest to set up virtual servers or put it in DMZ. I tried all this and it seems like the phone just don't like this modem. I brought the internet phone to work and open/forwarded above ports and linked ip to that phone and everything seems to be working perfectly so I know it isn't the phone issue. It's definitely Claro's modem(Cisco DDR2201) issue. Anybody here successfully worked on this modem to open up ports for private servers or for the game/gaming systems/servers?

I won't be home until several hours later but I would like to have a head start because I know my wife will be on my ass again about lack of her internet phones service and her not being able to speak to her parents and friends in Korea for couple of weeks. Help on correctly configuring this modem so I can have some peace and quite this weekend.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
What do you mean by "Internet Phone"?

MagicJack, Skype, NetTalk or what?

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
What do you mean by "Internet Phone"?

MagicJack, Skype, NetTalk or what?
It's called myLG070...
070 service is like Vonage in Korea but it's for those who wants free/discounted calls to Korea...
Just like the link below my wife's phones uses specific ports to connect to it's server....
and the all the ports that are used by this service is UDP 5060 and 20000-60000 to make/receive calls and 10001 to upgrade it's firmware...
https://support.vonage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/690/~/advanced-installation-with-port-forwarding

I am convinced that Claro is giving out broken unit or one with incomplete firmware. Is anybody having problem deleting port triggering and Virtual Server settings?

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
If you can get into the router to change the DNS servers, which are probably set at 0.0.0.0, try the Google DNS's servers or OpenDNS servers.

Google servers: Configure your network settings to use the IP addresses 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 as your DNS servers

OpenDNS servers: 208.67.220.220 and 208.67.222.222

Touching all that other stuff you mention can create problems.

There was one web site I used to visit often, all of a sudden I could not access it any more, changed the DNS servers as they suggested to Google DNS servers and it worked again.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
SantiagoDR, blocked/closed ports have nothing to do with DNS.

Koreano, can you adjust settings on your IP phone? If you can add STUN server it may help to solve the problem. From a quick search in Google it looks like your problem with that particular modem is quite common. Look here - [Config] Cisco DDR2201 port forwarding - Cisco | DSLReports Forums

I'm aware of that Bred.

Keeping an open mind usually helps solve problems.

The point is, it may not be blocked ports, it may be a DNS problem.

For instance, the NetTalk VOIP units will not work unless you use certain routers.

If I plug the NetTalk VOIP unit directly into the modem/router I got from Claro (Thomson TG 580) it will not work. Even tho the specs on this router says I can change the DNS servers, Claro does not allow it on the ones they supply. The routers DNS is set at all 0's. Thus another reason I have DNS servers set in my P/C.

There are only certain routers the NetTalk VOIP units will work with.
I have an additional Linksys router after my Claro supplied router for this reason.

In this case (Example) the NetTalk Voip unit not working was not a port block problem which many would have suggested it was.

I have 3 different VOIP services, security cameras running and have not needed to do any port forwarding, etc.

Last edited:

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
SantiagoDR...

Maybe I like problems and like playing with fire..;) I don't think making few things will cause huge problem. Even if huge problem arise, I know there is reset button on the back and phone number for Claro(UGH) are always there for me if I encounter the problem that may be more then I can handle.

Bred...
I've found that posts last week and as you may read I don't think OP had the problem solved. :( I think I can change the ip addresses on the phone but I think that's the all the settings I can change on this phone. I have read through the manual Port Triggering Setup for Cisco from start to finish but no answer.

I am going nuts with this modem and I might have to go to other route of buying other modem or other solutions like putting the modem in the bridge mode and set up another router or firewall computer so my wife can make/receive calls. I will buy couple of cold one if anybody can give me instructions. I really don’t want over complicate things and add another 24/7 electricity sucking devices running in my house.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
I give up.
Somehow every setting that I changed and tried didn't work and I am sick of my wife crying about the phone.

Does anybody know where to buy a cheap modem (none Cisco brand) that works with Claro multiplan? I know that Thomson brand will works but I don't know where to get it. Does anybody know if I Can just to go Claro and buy a Thomson modem? What is the cost of the buying one?

Thanks...

Bred

Bronze
Aug 13, 2006
Sosua
If you only use the modem for internet, not Claro TV, then I can suggest you to get a cheaper modem, like SpeedTouch / Thomson, or Actiontec. They are easy to setup/adjust. I think I saw someone selling a used Speedtouch (in Dominican Central classifieds) for 300 or 400 Pesos, may be a stolen one.

I've sent you a PM

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
If you only use the modem for internet, not Claro TV, then I can suggest you to get a cheaper modem, like SpeedTouch / Thomson, or Actiontec. They are easy to setup/adjust. I think I saw someone selling a used Speedtouch (in Dominican Central classifieds) for 300 or 400 Pesos, may be a stolen one.

I've sent you a PM
I am in Santiago and weekend drive to Sosua/Puerto Plata just for 400 Paso solutions could worth every Pasos (for satisfying my wife's needs). But I have Claro Multi Plan TV, Internet, Phone and I guess things are not looking good.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I am in Santiago and weekend drive to Sosua/Puerto Plata just for 400 Paso solutions could worth every Pasos (for satisfying my wife's needs). But I have Claro Multi Plan TV, Internet, Phone and I guess things are not looking good.

But would you not still need to go through Claro's DDR2201 Modem(Router)...... to get TV service?

SantiagoDR...

Maybe I like problems and like playing with fire..
;)

You play with "Fire", you may get burnt.....

1zq96oo.gif
Don

PM me, where in Santiago do you live?

Last edited:

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
But would you not still need to go through Claro's DDR2201 Modem(Router)...... to get TV service?

You play with "Fire", you may get burnt.....

1zq96oo.gif
Don

PM me, where in Santiago do you live?

I might have found a solution to this!!!
I'll report back once I go home to try out few things... I might not have to buy another modem/router after all.

And SantiagoDR...
You'll never learn to put out the fire if you are afraid of little fire. :p
Check PM...

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I might have found a solution to this!!!
I'll report back once I go home to try out few things... I might not have to buy another modem/router after all.

And SantiagoDR...
You'll never learn to put out the fire if you are afraid of little fire. :p
Check PM...
Sometimes we need to step back from the "Fire"

5dm26o.jpg

In see how to control it!

Good luck, hope your solution works, be sure to let us know what it is.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
Use a VPN..
I tried and it didn't work.

Funny thing about this modem is some of the setting can only be changed in certain browsers. Some setting just won't change on Chrome browser and some setting can only be removed from android tablet/phone. I thought it was problem with home computer so I brought my work laptop and tablet fully charged. I spent multiple hours searching for an answer but no go. Every time I change tabs between outgoing and incoming packet setting, I can see the previous deleted settings shows up for split second. I am not going to spend more time on this, I really am convinced that this modem's custom firmware is incomplete or I just got bad modem. I am going to buy some data on my Samsung Captivate and tether it and have my wife use it as a temporary solution.

But in for the permanent solution I might need Thomson modem (I will find out the model number) or other cheap internet service.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I recommend using a smart phone like an android or iphone and then configuring it to work with wifi. I have done this and now I am making free calls to the states using Google talk, my free VOIP provider as long as there is free wifi service. I posted a thread earlier about this. There is a lot of free info on the web out there to help. I think you live in Santiago and so do I so maybe if you have issues we can get together. ciao.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
I recommend using a smart phone like an android or iphone and then configuring it to work with wifi. I have done this and now I am making free calls to the states using Google talk, my free VOIP provider as long as there is free wifi service. I posted a thread earlier about this. There is a lot of free info on the web out there to help. I think you live in Santiago and so do I so maybe if you have issues we can get together. ciao.
Thanks for the advice... :)

But I already do have google voice and GroovIP setup and I had been using it for awhile. And I had my old number ported to google voice so I can make and receive phone calls using my old numbers. But making free calls to US isn't a issue here. Making a free/cheap and better quality calls to Korea is an issue. By using google voice I think I get charged $0.06US/min if my wife calls Korea. And I had $10 charged last week and she have already used almost all of $10 charged. By using the internet phone she will not get charged a cent over basic charge of like $4US for making calls to her family and friends. I really don't mind paying few bucks a month to google to have her call Korea but current google voice + GooveIP or Sipdroid calling Korea kinda sucks with delays in conversation, echos and drops. By the way I have put another $10 to voice. It's just in case my idea of using tethering idea fails.

A very cold beer sounds mighty good...

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Thanks for the advice... :)

But I already do have google voice and GroovIP setup and I had been using it for awhile. And I had my old number ported to google voice so I can make and receive phone calls using my old numbers. But making free calls to US isn't a issue here. Making a free/cheap and better quality calls to Korea is an issue. By using google voice I think I get charged $0.06US/min if my wife calls Korea. And I had $10 charged last week and she have already used almost all of $10 charged. By using the internet phone she will not get charged a cent over basic charge of like $4US for making calls to her family and friends. I really don't mind paying few bucks a month to google to have her call Korea but current google voice + GooveIP or Sipdroid calling Korea kinda sucks with delays in conversation, echos and drops. By the way I have put another $10 to voice. It's just in case my idea of using tethering idea fails.

A very cold beer sounds mighty good...

I understood you needed your phone to make calls but was pointing out how my particular setup is. Google Voice, etc are just one way of many different ways to make free calls. The most important thing you need is a VOIP provider, once you have that and an Android OS phone everything else is just a matter of configuration. The real advantage of the wifi phone is now with wifi available in so many areas in Santiago you will be able to make calls to Korea for free.

Also, GrooveIP is garbage.

What I would recommend is doing a google search with the Korean VOIP and Android and see what comes up.

BTW a beer sounds good. ciao.