Hello and Thanks in Advance...

mykulairon

Jul 14, 2012
Hello, I'm Ron. I'm new to this site and was wondering if there was anyone here who could answer a couple of questions that have been bugging me for a while.

About me: I'm was born In America and am currently engaged to a Dominican woman. I plan on maybe retiring one day in DR, as we visit at least once a year anyway.

Questions: (I promise to ask only questions that I couldn't find the answer to)

1.) I didn't really like any of the floor plans or materials being used in constructing the homes there. Is it possible to build your home from your own plans (purchased or self designed and approved) using the materials you'd like to use?

2.) What jobs (or careers rather) are there in Santo Domingo that could be somewhat close to what I'm averaging now? (50k-60k)

3.) If you live on the shore, and own a boat (not a small canoe or fishing boat, but not quite a million dollar yacht) what has to be done for legal international travel? Is it possible?

4.)What part of the isla is more prone to tropical storms, hurricanes, flooding and other natural disasters? (I read that Santiago is at the biggest risk of suffering a massive earthquake)

5.)Last but not least, Does marriage make you a legal resident? How long does it take after becoming a resident (which takes 18 mths to 2 yrs i'm listening! ;)) to become a citizen?

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Hello, I'm Ron. I'm new to this site and was wondering if there was anyone here who could answer a couple of questions that have been bugging me for a while.

About me: I'm was born In America and am currently engaged to a Dominican woman. I plan on maybe retiring one day in DR, as we visit at least once a year anyway.

1.) I didn't really like any of the floor plans or materials being used in constructing the homes there. Is it possible to build your home from your own plans (purchased or self designed and approved) using the materials you'd like to use?

I designed my house by using a program on the computer and my engineer built it from the plans.
Note that the only error was that he did not understand the concept of a "Walk-in" closet, the basic design is there but the entrance is open and the 3 sides of closet each has it's own doors.

If you build a house here, make SURE they keep the roofs wet for at least 7 days after pouring.

2.) What jobs (or careers rather) are there in Santo Domingo that could be somewhat close to what I'm averaging now? (50k-60k)

Try about 10% - 20% of that figure (U.S.), if you're lucky..............

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002

1.) I didn't really like any of the floor plans or materials being used in constructing the homes there. Is it possible to build your home from your own plans (purchased or self designed and approved) using the materials you'd like to use? Of course, if you can afford it...you can build anything you need!!

2.) What jobs (or careers rather) are there in Santo Domingo that could be somewhat close to what I'm averaging now? (50k-60k) IF THAT IS US$, NOT MANY....BANK MANAGERS, DOCTORS, DRUG DEALERS, MANY OF THE INDUSTRIALISTS, A FEW LAWYERS...PROFESSIONALS....MOSTLY BUT NOT EXCLUSIVELY

3.) If you live on the shore, and own a boat (not a small canoe or fishing boat, but not quite a million dollar yacht) what has to be done for legal international travel? Is it possible? You need to talk to KEN on this site about boats, or Mike Fisher...or Pelaut...these are people with vast experience with boats here...

4.)What part of the isla is more prone to tropical storms, hurricanes, flooding and other natural disasters? (I read that Santiago is at the biggest risk of suffering a massive earthquake)You ask "more prone" and the answer is the East and South. POP, and the North Coast are nearly immune to most natural disasters (except earthquakes--but they have earthquakes in the middle of the US....so?

5.)Last but not least, Does marriage make you a legal resident? How long does it take after becoming a resident (which takes 18 mths to 2 yrs i'm listening! ;)) to become a citizen?
NO! There is a process, Nothing here is "automatic" Until you decide to live here don't sweat it...At that time there will be different rules, you can be sure of that....

If you have more questions, fire away!!

HB