Trabajadora Domestica Wages

Status
Not open for further replies.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
I know what I paid my Trabajadora Domestica before but that was 2 years ago and I somewhat overpaid because of my unique situation. I am trying to get an idea of what the going average wages are and then I can adjust it for my situation.

How much do you pay your Trabajadora Domestica? Can you please include the following information

1) Where are you living?
2) Is she full-time or part-time?
3) Is she live-in or daily?
4) What are her responsibilities?
5) How much do you pay?

Mine is live-in, full-time ( every other weekend off). Santiago. Responsible for daily care of 3 children, cooking and cleaning (2nd Mom).
Thanks, I'm sure the wages are different from a year ago, so I just want to know the average before I add my "premium" because of my traveling.

SHALENA

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
1. puerto plata
2. part time
3. comes twice a week
4. cleaning and ironing only
5. 1.700 pesos bi-weekly plus generous breakfasts

my friends in santiago have a full-time live-in maid; one day a week off, she cooks, cleans, washes, irons and takes care of two kids (3 and 1 year). she is some sort of a distant family of a wife so the end arrangement is a bit different than usually. she gets paid about 8.000 pesos a month. she also gets health insurance, money for transport and, of course, all the food and living expenses.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I think the health insurance is a good idea.
I just gave it to our full time people... not that costly.

Don't ask, I can't remember the cost

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
1. Santo domingo
2. Monday till Friday
3. Live in
4. Cleaning , cooking, somtimes help out with kids
5. 9500 pesos

Laundry woman comes twice a week to wash and iron: 4400

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
1. Santo domingo
2. Monday till Friday
3. Live in
4. Cleaning , cooking, somtimes help out with kids
5. 9500 pesos

Laundry woman comes twice a week to wash and iron: 4400
Our household is two adults and three children (1,3 and 6). This week my wife will start working again for half days and we will have to change the laundry lady for someone who stays the whole week and will reorganize the workload a bit to include taking care of the little one in the morning: total 2x 9500 for one lady sleep in Monday to Friday and the other one 7.30am - 5.30pm and Saturday's 8-12.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
1. Puerto Plata
2. 4 days per week 8 am to 2pm approx. depending on work, sometimes longer
3. Comes via pasola
4. cleaning, cooking, laundry, washing dogs
5. 8,000 RD per month
6. Two person household

Jenny429

Oct 10, 2005
I live in a small Campo in Barahona.. (Enriquillio).. We have 4 adults 3 kids and a 96 year old lady. She cooks, and cleans. 8am to 4pm. I give her extra all the time. If for some reason we have guests that come or her workload increases for any reason. I pay her $6,000 a month (Here in the campo, "normal" is 3,000) so we constantly have people asking if the job is available. Especially if she takes more than 2 days off.. lol.. I have a second lady that comes in and does the laundry. I pay her $3000 pesos a month she comes twice a week. Comes for a few hours in the morning and returns after dinner to put away. No ironing..

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
It seems as if there is a wide range in the prices, very well so due to the household size, hours, etc. I will be traveling twice per month for 6 days, with her being "Mom" at that time. She has always taken very good care of my kids but I digress...
So the kids are 2, 9, and almost 13. She'll be live in, every other weekend off, like I said before cooking, cleaning, and child care. 2 years ago I paid her 10,000rd per month, because of the 24 hour responsibility while I was gone. My problem is when I look at that in dollars it doesn't seem enough for what she did for me. Anyway, I do not want to severely overpay but I want her to be compensated for her loyalty and treatment of my children. Some say I should start back at the 10,000rd, others say that can't be as that was 2 years ago and prices have risen...
Suggestions?

SHALENA

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i would say to stay with 10.000 per month but throw in health insurance or some other bonus.

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
Just my opinion,but gathering everything I have read so far from different threads,this is how "I THINK" Trabajadoras should be compensated for a family with three children,cooking,cleaning,and ironing.Start off with 300 USD a month,with yearly increases of 4% for the first 4 years,on the fifth year anniversary,a 22% increase and from there back to the 4% Double pay every six months(holiday pay) and two weeks paid vacation,two weeks of sick leave(accumulative).Family health insurance,an annuity,something like for each day worked,you deposited one dollar on the annuity account.Sign her up for social security,set up a bank account so you can direct deposit her pay.Oh and three year's worth severance pay.Might sound like a lot,but in DR,this is all peanuts.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Just my opinion,but gathering everything I have read so far from different threads,this is how "I THINK" Trabajadoras should be compensated for a family with three children,cooking,cleaning,and ironing.Start off with 300 USD a month,with yearly increases of 4% for the first 4 years,on the fifth year anniversary,a 22% increase and from there back to the 4% Double pay every six months(holiday pay) and two weeks paid vacation,two weeks of sick leave(accumulative).Family health insurance,an annuity,something like for each day worked,you deposited one dollar on the annuity account.Sign her up for social security,set up a bank account so you can direct deposit her pay.Oh and three year's worth severance pay.Might sound like a lot,but in DR,this is all peanuts.

Thank you for your thoughts about what you THINK. A Trabajadora Domestica should make but this thread is geared to those actually living in DR who are actually paying Trabajadoras Domesticas. Guzman has airway answered my thread regarding legally the things that I should provide. I want to do right by mine and was looking for the average salary of others to know how much I should make the premium.
I appreciate all comments but cannot take into consideration one from someone who lives in NY and has no Trabajadira to speak of, telling me, what they THINK Trabajadoras should get paid. If you'd like, you can answer the questions in the OP if you indeed have a Trabajadora Domestica and if I am mistaken in thinking that you don't, I sincerely apologize

SHALENA

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
It seems as if there is a wide range in the prices, very well so due to the household size, hours, etc. I will be traveling twice per month for 6 days, with her being "Mom" at that time. She has always taken very good care of my kids but I digress...
So the kids are 2, 9, and almost 13. She'll be live in, every other weekend off, like I said before cooking, cleaning, and child care. 2 years ago I paid her 10,000rd per month, because of the 24 hour responsibility while I was gone. My problem is when I look at that in dollars it doesn't seem enough for what she did for me. Anyway, I do not want to severely overpay but I want her to be compensated for her loyalty and treatment of my children. Some say I should start back at the 10,000rd, others say that can't be as that was 2 years ago and prices have risen...
Suggestions?

SHALENA
Two years ago is not that long. I would pay 11,000 or max 12,000 (I think on average inflation is about 8% per year or so?).

Jan 17, 2009
Why don't you pay for her social security which includes health insurance and pension? Isn't that mandatory, like for all other type of workers? I think we pay about 1,500 pesos per month per employee.

i looked into health insurance but it was about 14000 a month which was too high for me to pay....

Status
Not open for further replies.