Special Needs- Appliances

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
I am about to buy my appliances to send with my furniture. I vaguely remember there being special conditions for some of them I bought in Santiago before. The gas stove, what should I look for, shouldn't it have something in the back to be able to get hooked up to a tanque? Do they sell gas stoves like that it in the US?
The dryer for some reason I remember being a big deal, can't remember if it was electric or gas, what do I need to look for so that it is compatible for DR homes? I also remember vaguely something about buying something for a different voltage than the house (220 vs 110, maybe?)

In short, what to look for so I don't get some nice appliance from Lowe's or Home Depot and then get to Santiago and can't use it! Wish I had paid more attention before! :)

SHALENA

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Current is 110. 60 cycles

Don't get a dryer!! Use the sun!! It's free! Make sure your stove is ready for propane! That is the key: Propane (LPG).

HB

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
OMG! I tried that for about a month before in Santiago and I hated it. It made the clothes too hard, even with fabric softener in the wash (I know, I know...what a Princess), and lint and bugs...

Anyway, do you also know the average opening size for most stoves in most homes? The length of the opening normally? So as not to buy one too big.
Thanks

SHALENA

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i have a gas dryer and i could not be happier: in the winter we have endless weeks with no sun. all our clothing lines are outside so dryer is a blessing. i do have some freshener wipes to be thrown in with the clothes. it came from mudancero, he bought it for us (used). so maybe just use of of those companies?

small equipment is bought over the internet. miesposo looks at the plug type (american) and voltage (120).

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
OH all right, Princess!! I can understand you dear, as much as you work, you do need some "comfort" in your life...

Stove openings are usually made for 30" stoves...

I am going to ask my daughter to be on the lookout for stuff that is available. We got great deals for our washer and fridge...

Don't to anything (unless you have to)...let me ask her first.

HB

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
oh all right, princess!! I can understand you dear, as much as you work, you do need some "comfort" in your life...

Stove openings are usually made for 30" stoves...

I am going to ask my daughter to be on the lookout for stuff that is available. We got great deals for our washer and fridge...

Don't to anything (unless you have to)...let me ask her first.

Hb
ok!

Shalena

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
my stove is a MABE made, i think in Costa Rico, ditto my fridge .. an Atlas

they are both GREAT ... stove six burners with grill.. fridge a compact dream

and less metal and smaller on the outside than us measurements, it seems

for the washer, i have american.. fridgedaire

but the costa rican kitchen stuff is great and way below US prices here...

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
There are plenty of propane gas stoves in the US, Shalena - many places have no natural gas available. Standard size is 30"

I don't use a dryer, brought a whole pulley clothesline kit down, I swear it's all dry in about 20 minutes. We bought a big Whirlpool washer in DR, and I *always* use a good fabric softener - the washer dispenses it automatically - so no stiff/hard clothes.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
my stove is a MABE made, i think in Costa Rico, ditto my fridge .. an Atlas

they are both GREAT ... stove six burners with grill.. fridge a compact dream

and less metal and smaller on the outside than us measurements, it seems

for the washer, i have american.. fridgedaire

but the costa rican kitchen stuff is great and way below US prices here...

Whee did you buy the Costa Rican brand?
Thanks

SHALENA

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
My advice is to buy stateside and ship.
Propane adjustment to the stove and dryer can be done here - mine was (stove only, I hid the princess' tiara:bandit:)

Natch, 30" is stove size
DO NOT GET the low water volume washer,
Think it over - less agua is less limpia.... we made that mistake.

Front end load washers spin the clothes so dry that line drying - or dryer - is so fast it'll cost you almost nothing.

Go to SEARS scratch and dent -- all the stuff comes in as used and the prices are GREAT.

All mine are scratch/dent..... full warranty applies but not here.:(

I'm thinking - may add more later

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Great! Thanks WW!

SHALENA

P.S. Crazy question, and I guess I could ask the store but since I'm already on here...
I know that you cannot use the water dispenser or ice maker on the side by side refrigerator but can you manually fill the ice box on the inside and still use the mechanism to retrieve the ice?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Great! Thanks WW!

SHALENA

P.S. Crazy question, and I guess I could ask the store but since I'm already on here...
I know that you cannot use the water dispenser or ice maker on the side by side refrigerator but can you manually fill the ice box on the inside and still use the mechanism to retrieve the ice?

Not crazy -- avoid buying the water/ice fridge. It'll save you money.
If you do buy one, yes, you make ice the old fashioned way, dump it into the bucket and will dispense, crush your ice as you wish.
Mine has no water hookup... cheaper.

Look for a bottom freezer style = less bending over and more efficient ---- try it, you'll like it.

Oh and French door if you can

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
RE: Scratch Dent

As an example.... my fridge not $2700 but $700... stove not $2300 but $900

Most are 1/2 price -- some even better

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Great! Thanks WW!

SHALENA

Shalena, my in-laws DO use the water and ice through door in Santo Domingo. They bought some kind of kit that connects the fridge to one of the 5 gallon water bottles, I'm sure they're readily available in Santiago too.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I know that you cannot use the water dispenser or ice maker on the side by side refrigerator

shalena, you can totally do it. our amana fridge has a water dispenser and ice maker. we have a little pump hooked up to the fridge and water bottle, works a treat. it is called flojet.
it looks like this:
2cz1sg9.jpg

the set up is as follows: the fridge is right next to the kitchen furniture. the unit immediately on the side houses the pump and a large water bottle. works like a miracle. with a large household like yours the water consumption is high. pointless to constantly fill up the jugs. they also take lots of fridge space. and something tells me you need that too :)