Ok, decision time

imlosttoo

Apr 27, 2009
Ok. I've been reading and posting and the decision must be made soon as to my next trip. I plan on spending about a month somewhere and the DR is in the running. The whole island and its inhabitants appear to be genetically predisposed to separating tourists from their cash. Soooo having learned that, I need some serious advice. Where does a 40ish single white male with no spanish speaking ability go? I have received some answers when I posted previously but this decision is agonizing. I will relax (not sure if I will rent a car or not yet leaning to no), Where should I rent? Yes I plan on hitting on the local girls, some sight seeing, maybe even move around from place to place week at a time, don't know yet. If I like what I see I will learn spanish and come down regularly so cut me some slack for the moment. Three primary goals, Relax, Meet Women, Avoid being robbed, Sightsee. Seriously though, as much advice as you can provide is greatly appreciated. Rental options are appreciated as well.

C

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Ok. I've been reading and posting and the decision must be made soon as to my next trip. I plan on spending about a month somewhere and the DR is in the running. The whole island and its inhabitants appear to be genetically predisposed to separating tourists from their cash. Soooo having learned that, I need some serious advice. Where does a 40ish single white male with no spanish speaking ability go? I have received some answers when I posted previously but this decision is agonizing. I will relax (not sure if I will rent a car or not yet leaning to no), Where should I rent? Yes I plan on hitting on the local girls, some sight seeing, maybe even move around from place to place week at a time, don't know yet. If I like what I see I will learn spanish and come down regularly so cut me some slack for the moment. Three primary goals, Relax, Meet Women, Avoid being robbed, Sightsee. Seriously though, as much advice as you can provide is greatly appreciated. Rental options are appreciated as well.

C

Come to the North Coast, Sosua and Cabarete. Lots of expats here and men like you looking for the same thing you are.

Whether you are robbed or not is rmostly up to you. You won't be robbed if you use good sense. Most of those in your shoes that were robbed that I am aware of were drinking too much and womanizing too much, especially when under the influence. If you take a woman to your room and pass out, good chance your money will be gone when you wake up. If you flash a lot of money and play big spender, you will also be a target.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Great advice from Ken, ditto here. You will love the Sosua area. Mind your business and you will make a lot of new "frens".
Excellent beach, small town atmosphere, plenty to do.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
If you speak no Spanish the conversation could be a bit limited, but the language of lurve should suffice!

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
If I would be the government this kind of tourism would be one the reasons to tighten migration rules.

bizzyboneizo

Aug 31, 2010
just talk to the store owners hotel owners. i treat the kids out there like they are my kids and they are more honest trust worthy than the older folks. just go and do what you want to do and every thing will be good

Dec 26, 2011
Where does a 40ish single white male with no spanish speaking ability go?

Why not put a little effort into learning some Spanish while you're making your decisions? You'll always have occasion to use it and it'll really enhance your experience.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Agree with Ken. Based on your email, the best starting spot for someone with no Spanish and an interest in chicas (and sightseeing in general) would be the Sosua-Cabarete area. It's a good area from which to set up a base. No area of the country is more than 4 hours away, with the exception of Bavaro/Punta Cana, and I think they offer weekly air charters for that.

Have fun.