Chicken boycott on Tuesdays

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Santo Domingo.- A group of social organizations yesterday announced support for the boycott on chicken meat Tuesday , to pressure producers and intermediaries to slash poultry prices.

The groups also call on consumers to boycott the meat in every remaining Tuesday in July, noting that it should be sold at no more than RD $39 per pound.

Organizations spokesmen Roberto Abreu and Joaquin Luciano asked the government to intervene to protect consumers, to put a stop to what they view as speculation by vendors without control over the meat which Dominicans consume most.

The organizers also rebuked the Poultry Commission?s lobbying in the Chamber of Deputies, noting that it?s an issue which the Consumer Protection Agency should resolve. "Pro-Consumidor has done an excellent job on fixing its position as to what chicken?s price per pound should be."
from dominican today

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Price fixing=shortages. Works every time it's tried.

Eat more pork.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Which bit would be the price fixing?
The so called chicken vendors' speculation or the proposed government intervention?

For me both are a mistake.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
i do not know how the pro consumidor figures out their prices or what prices should be

but the chicken and egg boycott from Haiti is still ongoing at the border, as far as I know..

and the DR poultry industry has evidently decided in the Dominican way.. if something is NOT selling, raise the price

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Which bit would be the price fixing?
The so called chicken vendors' speculation or the proposed government intervention?

For me both are a mistake.
MA's support of the boycott to fix prices at RD$39. I don't know the costs of production and distribution, but a buck a pound seems damn cheap.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Chicken in supermarkets is expensive and nasty, but from some colmados you are looking at Around 45-55pesos Lb depending where you are (ime) which is okay in my books. I can't imagine the bottom line making much on anything less. But it gives people something to think about on a Tuesday, maybe eat pork that day, mix it up a bit, or just buy enough on Monday:rolleyes:

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
For people with well paying jobs 55 pesos a pound is just fine - but what about everyone else who could only afford chicken (not pork or beef) and now can't even afford that? I can get chicken at the pollera for 41 pesos, why should I have to pay 59 (jumbo santiago) pesos for a pound of not-so-fresh chicken in the supermarket?

Dec 26, 2011
"Don't-buy-on-whatever-day" boycotts give the protester the illusion of effectiveness. It's not logical. Same for such attempts to cripple the oil industry in the US by not filling up on a given date. The only real boycott is one where less of a product is bought, or none at all, over an extended period. One day isn't gonna cut it.

BostonMary

May 18, 2002
I don't understand the prices of chicken in the DR. In the South Shore of Massachusetts I can buy a " roaster" chicken (large chicken) for .99 per pound. It is more in POP??

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
I don't know about the US but in Germany you can buy a whole frozen chicken for 1.99 Euro almost all the time, a chicken is always more than 2 pounds, more like 3 to 4 pounds. So less than a dollar/ pound.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Three million chicken died of heat stroke a few weeks ago in the Cibao. Another reason prices are going up.

Matilda

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
EVERYTHING THAT IS SOLD HERE.......
The price is pushed to the limit.................
It's never a matter of what's a fair price...........
It's ALWAYS, I want more, more, more...................
And GIVE less, less, less...........capeesh........

B in Santiago

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
EVERYTHING THAT IS SOLD HERE.......
The price is pushed to the limit.................
It's never a matter of what's a fair price...........
It's ALWAYS, I want more, more, more...................
And GIVE less, less, less...........capeesh........

B in Santiago
That's how a market works: sellers raise their prices until consumers no longer buy and seek an alternative. Very basic and simple.

I'm sure the pig, fish goat and cow farmers are quite happy to have a small once-a-week spike in the sales of their product.

Boycotts tend to be a "feel good" tactic that rarely works. But the boycotters feel really, really important.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
For people with well paying jobs 55 pesos a pound is just fine - but what about everyone else who could only afford chicken (not pork or beef) and now can't even afford that? I can get chicken at the pollera for 41 pesos, why should I have to pay 59 (jumbo santiago) pesos for a pound of not-so-fresh chicken in the supermarket?

let them eat cake? seriously, who cares? if the cost of chicken meat is, say, 35 pesos per pound the government cannot dictate low selling price. people live off that too. if the price is inflated - another story.
and trust me, the poorest people are likely to pay higher prices anyways because they often buy in a colmado: one platano, one egg, few slices of salami. at the end of the day they pay more per pound/item vecause they cannot to afford anything in bulk.

Dec 26, 2011
and trust me, the poorest people are likely to pay higher prices anyways because they often buy in a colmado: one platano, one egg, few slices of salami. at the end of the day they pay more per pound/item vecause they cannot to afford anything in bulk.

So very true.

May 29, 2006
Expect the price of chicken to double by next spring. The drought in the US is devastating the corn crop and existing contracts will make whatever remains of this year's crop to skyrocket in price. Same goes for eggs and beef.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Damn! I forget all about it.Went to el Supermercado Nacional today and bought a fat chicken.
Shame on me.