Can one person renew TWO perm Residencia's??

botemon

Jun 28, 2008
Simple question..... I think? Our 2nd Permanent Residencia expires in August. My wife will return to the DR in August to renew BOTH hers and mine. I know folks who have done this in the past, where only ONE person renewed BOTH Permanent Residencia's. But I also "heard" (read RUMOR) that now this is not possible, and BOTH of us will have to be present to get this done. Does anyone have any RECIENT experience with one person renewing both Residencia's? On a side note we have only been gone from the DR for three months this year. THANKS in advance!
Respectfully

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
1.) You can only renew your old permanent residency under the old rules until the beginning of August, make sure you will not be too late!

2.) You will have to be present to leave your fingerprints and biometric data. I don't know anybody who was able to do it without being present personally lately.

botemon

Jun 28, 2008
Oh sheesh......(grumble). So.....I understand you to say that even though my Perm Resedencia does not expire until 8/23/2012, I need to renew it BEFORE 8/01/2012...or start from scratch? Thanks for the info. I guess I missed that part!
Respectfully,

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
The earlier the better, lots of confusion going on at the moment. You will not start from scratch if you don't do it in time but you will have to renew under the new rules which are tougher than before.

botemon

Jun 28, 2008
Thanks for the info. I Love "new rules". In searching other posts in the last several weeks, I really never ran across the "new rules". Do they include banking info and or property ownership etc? We already own property. This made it very easy for us to obtain our first Temp and Perm Resedencia. It sucks to have to fly down there just for a couple days to do this if you know what I mean.
But again.....thanks for the info mon!
Respectfully,

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
Believe me, more complicated and can not be done the same day anymore, can't find the link at the moment but you may look up "Decreto 631-11", it is explained there in Spanish of course.

senorblanco

Jun 11, 2006
I hate when people give important answers that people desperately need and the information is incorrect. YES you can do it in one day I just did last week and it was relatively easy. I saw someone "trying" to do it for a person who wasn't there but didn't see if she was successful or not. They do however now make you take fingerprints and of course there is the photo. So it would seem to me you need to be there. Also, in order to get it all done in one you simply pay the "VIP" charge of $1,000RD and after the photo is taken you're out of there with ID in hand, done deal, in about 20-30 minutes,

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
I hate when people give important answers that people desperately need and the information is incorrect. YES you can do it in one day I just did last week and it was relatively easy. I saw someone "trying" to do it for a person who wasn't there but didn't see if she was successful or not. They do however now make you take fingerprints and of course there is the photo. So it would seem to me you need to be there. Also, in order to get it all done in one you simply pay the "VIP" charge of $1,000RD and after the photo is taken you're out of there with ID in hand, done deal, in about 20-30 minutes,
It would be better to read the whole thread before making statements like this!

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
Recent possible info about renewal of residency

NO YOU DO NOT HAVE TO RENEW ,before aug 1 ,this apparently only applies to expired residencies. I would insure that your Cedula is current and you do not renew after your due date on your residency .I just did my residency on the 11 of July , FLEW IN FROM SOUTHEAST ASIA ,because mine expired two weeks previous ,VIP Ed 1000 pesos and all is well .I did note tha a couple who did not have their Cedulas renewed ,Were REFUSED RESIDENCY AND THAT THEIR WAS A TIME LAPSE THAT NEEDED TO HAPPEN ,BEFORE THEY COULD GO BACK AND RENEWV.......!!! I did not get the whole story as of course they did not knowme . but I WOULD GET ANY DOCUMENTATION CURRENT YESTERDAY. THEY FINGER PRINT AS HAS BEEN STATED HERE SO NO POSSIBILITY I WOULD THINK FOR 1 person to do two people related or not ... If any one is close to renewal time it may be wise to Renew it anyway earlier just so you do not get stuck in interpretation , by govt officials . This is about bringing in revenue !

botemon

Jun 28, 2008
Our Cedula's are current and won;t expire until next May. (What sucks is that we just could never seem to get the Residencia AND Cedula to expire at the same time). Gee....they already took my "bio-metrics" on the last renewal . I'm doing a little more research in determining whether to fly back before the 1st of August...or not. I am wanting to get the "citizenship thing" going this year also....or at least started and it MIGHT be advantageous to do this before the 1st or August....who knows.... Otherwise I will just get the residencia renewed and start the citizenship thing when we return permanently in November. Once a citizen, then no more dealing with all of this stuff.
On a side note I have a friend that had permanent residencia for 10 years. He always renewed for himself and his wife alone in the capital. Well...in January they would not do it unless she was present. He had enough and threw the whole thing in their face and is not going through the process again. It will be interesting to see what happens to him in the future. He owns property and spends about 8 months in the DR per year. Stay tuned! Thanks for the info and I will continue to update as things move.....um....in a forward direction???? :)

botemon

Jun 28, 2008
To update........ our Permanent Residencia was set to expire on August 23rd. We arrived at Immigration in Santo Domingo at 8:00am, Friday morning the 27th. The first thing I noticed that changed was you now need to obtain a "pass" from the Information Desk inside the lobby to be able to enter the Immigration area. We had to surrender our Cedulas (or passport) to obtain the pass. They will not let anyone into the Immigration area that does not have a pass.
Go to window 10 first. They give you a paper to fill out, name, parents name, birthplace, Cedula number (which I did not enter because the information desk had them...no problem) and they "INK" your fingerprints on the bottom of the form. Might just be some sort of stupid verification to enable them to compare the information to what they already have on file.
We were told to stand in line in window number 3 (renewal) in 30 min from returning the form and things will be ready to continue. So....30 min later went to window 3, paid the $4000.00 RD each, plus $1000.00RD for VIP service. Total of $10,000.00 RD for the two of us. Waited about 30 more min for picture, and then about 30 more min until the card was completed. We got there at 8:00am and left about 10:45am. It could have gone a little faster, but I stood in line at window 3 first. Gotta go to window 10 first...Whatever. It all went good, no lawyer, DONE. They would only renew for two years...I asked for more. The next step for us will be to get citizenship as we are eligible. We will start sometime this fall when we return for the winter.

Hispanola

Feb 4, 2011
Would you happen to know what would your P-R renewal procedure would be like in 2 years from now (assuming you don?t apply for citizenship).
Would you always fall under the old laws category, OR would you then have to go through some new procedure like medicals, letter of guarantor, etc...

I asked this very question in another thread I myself started but nobody seems to know the answer.

This would make a lot if differance for me whether to apply for full citizenship like you are (my 2 year P-R expires in october), or continue renewing every 2 years or so, as I am a bit hesitant about becoming a full Dominican citizen.

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
YOU CANNOT ANY LONGER SHOW UP AND ANY OTHER than your own I had to fly back from southeast Asia to do mine that only expired a few weeks ago ?you get there at 8 in the morning ,you should be out of there by 11 in the morning with the extra 1000 for expedited service .This is assuming it will not be too busy with this deadline coming up .You don't do this on time and you will need to start all over again out side of the country in your home country by first applying for a visa ,abt a 100 us I heard ,and then come to dr and start you temporary .... get Here ASAP

botemon

Jun 28, 2008
Hispanola....I understand your question and its a good one! I have no idea! In fact, because tomorrow is August 1st, the new rules may apply for me this fall.....or in typical DR fashion......they won't! So....this fall when I apply for Citizenship, I'll let you know the "hoops" I may have to jump through. On a side note, don't bother coming to the DR to renew your PR now. You will need to wait to within 30 days BEFORE it expires. I think you will be OK to come near your October expiration.
I am curious why you are hesitant about becoming a citizen. from me.....in these changing times, I think its a good idea to have at least one other passport other than your home country. (save for another thread).
Respectfully