Outrageous cost of Visa for Canadians? Please help!

slb1

Jul 1, 2012
It seems that the cost for Canadians to apply for a Visa is much hire than other countries.

I just spoke to the Dominican Consulate in Canada. Here are the cost breakdowns for TEMPORARY 60-day residence (after which I have to pay more for the FULL residence)

$30 per form (birth cert, police check)
$150 for Visa Application Fee
$50 for the papers to get authorized by the Ottawa Foreign Affairs
$40 to Notarize Police Check
$40 to Notarize Medical Certificate
$40 to Translate Medical Certificate
$140 For the Birth Certificate to be translated and then certified and legalized
$140 For the Police Check to be translated, certified and legalized

I am working for a company out in DR and have spoken to other people that have been hired from Europe and USA and the cost is a measly $200 total for them.
Wondering if any other Canadians have gone through the process and found a more cost efficient path?

PlantaFULL

Oct 21, 2004
This may very well be the case. At the Dominican Embassies in Germany for example they used to charge Euro 100 per document to be legalized. So in my case birth cert, marriage cert, police record added to Euro 300 (No Visa). Adding the extras needed for the new Visa probably increases the costs dramatically.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
This may very well be the case. At the Dominican Embassies in Germany for example they used to charge Euro 100 per document to be legalized. So in my case birth cert, marriage cert, police record added to Euro 300 (No Visa). Adding the extras needed for the new Visa probably increases the costs dramatically.

Yes but he is saying it's only for 60 days.

slb1

Jul 1, 2012
Yes this is just the Temporary residency visa you have to get in your home country, after which you must apply for the full residency visa once in the DR.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
How long is on a tourist visa? Or how long is the longest you can get on a tourist visa?

Why do I have 3 months in my mind? Is that how long you can drive for without residency? But if that is the case then you would expect to be able some how to extend a tourist visa to 3 months, or this is a pointless timeframe, correct?
or am I brain farting again?

slb1

Jul 1, 2012
I am moving out there for an indefinite period for work. A tourist visa is no use to me. With the new laws you must first get a 60 day Temporary Residence Visa, then once you are in the DR you can apply for the Full Residence Visa. The Temporary Visa is what I am trying to get now, and that is what is costing so much $$. I am hoping someone has gone or is going through or knows about the process and can give me some advice.

PlantaFULL

Oct 21, 2004
The Residence Visa is valid to enter the DR for 60 days. In that timeframe you can apply for the Temporary 1 year Residence (without having to leave again). With a tourist card you can also enter the DR for 60 days, but you cannot apply for residence at all.

aname4me

Jun 18, 2011
I am old enough to remember carrying my Birth Certificate in my wallet. I needed it, to drink in a Bar. I also used it to enter the USA. It was the ID of the day.

Over the years, things changed.
ID moved on to a Drivers Licence with a picture. Around this time the Birth Certificate moved to my sock drawer.

With 911, they beefed up the Drivers Licence with more information and added security. This still works for a Bar (not that they ask me, any more), it also works for ID when using a Credit Card in the DR.

The “Big Boy” today is (of course), the Passport. It has everything a Birth Certificate has.

Name me a place today, that I can just present a Birth Certificate, as proof as to who I am.

My point....
Why do I keep reading that the Consulate needs my Birth Certificate, when all the information is on my Passport? And, as a bonus nothing needs to be translated, certified or legalized for a Passport.

slb1

Jul 1, 2012
Just to clarify...

I am quite aware of what Visa it is that I need... I am just hoping someone might have a more cost efficient way to do it.

Thanks

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
My point....
Why do I keep reading that the Consulate needs my Birth Certificate, when all the information is on my Passport? And, as a bonus nothing needs to be translated, certified or legalized for a Passport.

Passport numbers change every 5 years, birth certificates don't. I'm guessing that's one of the reasons.

OP, where are you getting your translations and legalizations done?

merlyn555

Jun 23, 2012
I am at present waiting for a letter of guarantee from a lawyer in Sosua before making my application to the embassy in Ottawa so the numbers you presented are a shock but really no surprise to me.

So far the letter of guarantee has cost me $850 USD and the further $600+ USD to make the application is proving to be quite a windfall for the DR gov.

Now I am not yet clear on wether it will cost me more money to make my application for Permanent Residence in SD or if this is included in the original Visa for entry so that I can make the application. It is all very confusing.

Chris

DeadHandStraight

Jun 10, 2012
The Residence Visa is valid to enter the DR for 60 days. In that timeframe you can apply for the Temporary 1 year Residence (without having to leave again). With a tourist card you can also enter the DR for 60 days, but you cannot apply for residence at all.

Again that is incorrect! Since you are a German you can apply from abroad for a police record, an international birth certificate as well as international marrigage certificate (and save costs for translations into spanish) through you municipal website in Germany. Further more the costs for the residency visa is 90 Euro plus 15 Euro which totals to 105 Euro. 15 Euro are the fees for sending it to your place of residence anywhere you may desire.

Please research properly instead of giving again more opposing information. For those who have a problem applying for a german police record can pm me and I will tell them how to do it and where to apply.

DeadHandStraight

Jun 10, 2012
Germans who are in need to apply for a police record from abroad please check:
http://www.bundesjustizamt.de/cln_1...roperty=publicationFile.pdf/antrag_de_pdf.pdf

The german police record does not come in any other language but german while the birth certificate and marriage certificate can be appied ONLINE as an international document and have therefore only to be apostilled at the Dominican Consulate in Germany. Each of these documents cost 100 EURO to be legalized.
It should be obvious for German nationals that there is a workaround without leaving the Dominican Republic to get the papers done and be sent back to you. You can even sent your passport to the Consulate and get it fedexed after approval back to you.

PlantaFULL

Oct 21, 2004
Again that is incorrect! Since you are a German you can apply from abroad for a police record, an international birth certificate as well as international marrigage certificate (and save costs for translations into spanish) through you municipal website in Germany. Further more the costs for the residency visa is 90 Euro plus 15 Euro which totals to 105 Euro. 15 Euro are the fees for sending it to your place of residence anywhere you may desire.

Please research properly instead of giving again more opposing information. For those who have a problem applying for a german police record can pm me and I will tell them how to do it and where to apply.

What exactly have I said that is incorrect?

I am aware and have both Intl Birth and Marriage Certificates. What I am talking about is the legalization that the Dominican Consulate in Germany does to these documents. This costs Euro 100 each, and the Consulate attaches a paper to the original document attesting that the German seal and signature on it are valid.

I was informed many times that just the German or Intl Certificates without this legalization attachment by the Consulate won't be accepted in DR. I did not say that you have to be there in person.

Also important to note: The German police record is now issued without seal and signature, which is not accepted by the Dominican Consulate. One has to specifically request a police record with "ueberbeglaubigung" from the German Bundesjustizamt.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
Is it just me, or does the $630 U.S dollars (plus or minus) seem reasonable to obtain Identification in a foriegn country ?

slb1

Jul 1, 2012
Passport numbers change every 5 years, birth certificates don't. I'm guessing that's one of the reasons.

OP, where are you getting your translations and legalizations done?

I am getting the translations ($40 per page) and legalizations ($100 per page) done at the Dominican Consulate in Canada.

PlantaFULL

Oct 21, 2004
It should be obvious for German nationals that there is a workaround without leaving the Dominican Republic to get the papers done and be sent back to you. You can even sent your passport to the Consulate and get it fedexed after approval back to you.

This you call sound advice? Mailing away your primary form of ID (Passport) while on foreign soil? I barely let anyone walk away more then 2m with my passport.

Even if one were to pursue the method you suggest, without leaving the country... How do you get a Medical Attest from a german Doctor to the Dominican Consulate? Unless they accept it from a doctor in the DR and you mail that overseas as well.

robbie

Bronze
Aug 3, 2006
I am getting the translations ($40 per page) and legalizations ($100 per page) done at the Dominican Consulate in Canada.
Thats about what I was quoted last year.
I have found a Notary that can do the translations and legalizations but he wants to see all my docs first to
give me a cost. Still makes me feel better than sending my originals off to Ottawa.

DeadHandStraight

Jun 10, 2012
This you call sound advice? Mailing away your primary form of ID (Passport) while on foreign soil? I barely let anyone walk away more then 2m with my passport.

Even if one were to pursue the method you suggest, without leaving the country... How do you get a Medical Attest from a german Doctor to the Dominican Consulate? Unless they accept it from a doctor in the DR and you mail that overseas as well.

Calm down...been there done that and I tell you once again, not a problem at all. German police record from abroad can be applied along with the "Ueberbeglaubigung" cost you 13.-- plus 13.-- and will be sent to you where you want. Secondly the medical not a problem at all too, not even to get it apostilled by the Dominican Consulate while you are in the DR neither is the other stuff but if you want to complicate it further...well go ahead...
If you are too scared to send in your passport with reliable methods why bothering anyway about all the other things. Take a plane fly there apply and get back, its that simple...yaik