Extended Tourist Visa Possibilities for Snowbirds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rendul

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
rendul.tripod.com
I just called the Dominican Consulate in Toronto to ask what Canadians can do about getting extended visas for annual stays of up to 5 1/2 months. As Canadians we cannot stay out of the country longer than six months at a time or lose our Health Care at the six month point. With that, meaning that we cannot fulfill the Residence Visa requirements of continuous stay in the D.R., I was told that we would have to go to the airport once a month and buy new tourist cards for the next 30 day period and she said this can be done this way as we own property in the D.R. Does this sound right? I asked if we can buy an extended visa covering the entire amount of time prior to our departure? No. Can anyone clarify this please relative to this situation? Any and all input would be appreciated.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I think we all want a for sure answer to that question.

Did you get her name so you can later say who told you?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I just called the Dominican Consulate in Toronto to ask what Canadians can do about getting extended visas for annual stays of up to 5 1/2 months. As Canadians we cannot stay out of the country longer than six months at a time or lose our Health Care at the six month point. With that, meaning that we cannot fulfill the Residence Visa requirements of continuous stay in the D.R., I was told that we would have to go to the airport once a month and buy new tourist cards for the next 30 day period and she said this can be done this way as we own property in the D.R. Does this sound right? I asked if we can buy an extended visa covering the entire amount of time prior to our departure? No. Can anyone clarify this please relative to this situation? Any and all input would be appreciated.

So just for the hell of it and also my my own information I decided to call the Dominican Embassy in Ottawa 1-613-563-9893

Chatted a bit with the guy that answered with a Dominican accent. I asked about staying a few months and that I do not own property in the DR and just want to rent for a few months ?

He said that the tourist card is good for 30 days and when I leave just pay at the airport the overstay penalty :rolleyes:

So I said are you sure? I heard that the laws have changed so he passed me on to the consulate whos' name is Maria Leyba and here is what she had to say.

The tourist card is good for 60 days so before the 60 days are up you can go to immigration located at POP airport and renew it for another 60 days. But that is all you can renew it for. So I asked what about property owners. She said same rules apply if they don't have residency.

Last question, so what happens if I stay for 5 months? She said she doesn't have an answer to that at this time and that's this is all new and she is sure it needs some adjustments but for now it's best to leave the country after 60/60 and enter the DR again.

Are we all clear as mud?

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
I think the intelligent thing to do is to offer the normal visa or the extended visa on entry, but that is too obvious I suppose. So, 4 months at a time, a bit better than initially thought but still no good if you want 5 1/2 months. I am sure they will bring in an investors visa of some sort if this actually ever gets off the ground (which I still doubt).
it is reassuring that they are offering advice and information that they don't know of or understand themselves yet.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
If possible would someone, whoever, whenever gets in touch with anyone in the know ask what they intend to do when these people allowed in for 4months, turn up at the airport to leave in 5 1/2 months. I am sure we are all intrigued to hear of the punishment dealt out for this crime.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
If it's not cleared up I'm sure we'll hear from the first victims sometime next spring.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
So, based on this it is possible to stay legally for 120 days, at which time you must leave the country and return. Are there any restrictions on where you go or how long you need to stay out of the country?

For various reasons I am thinking it is best for me to wait a couple of years (til my social security kicks in and I qualify financially) and apply directly for permenant residency rather than apply now for provisional residency, which would lock me into 5 years of annual renewals. JetBlue has 5 flights a day from SDQ to San Juan, Puerto Rico for $250USD total cost, round trip. I'm thinking of making that trip twice a year plus a trip back to the US for the holidays (which I would be doing anyway). I know PICHARDO says that Big Brother is going to be watching and not allow this, but I haven't heard it from anyone else, and that includes respresentatives of respected law firms. Does my idea raise any red flags? Any insights are appreciated.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Sweetdbt, Not a lawyer or expect here but that sounds fine. I did ask of any dangers of never being allow into the country again and her answer was, Oh no,no no!!!!!

But again, not an expect here for sure.

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
So many rumors flying, who knows. I was told the 60 days and then renew for 60 days, but I was told you had to go to SD to get the renewal.

i was also told by an attorney in Sosua that new regulations will be out August 1st and to wait to see what they are.

I'm also very interested to know, ok, stay 4 months and leave...how soon can you come back and start the 4 months again?

I was also told if you overstayed, you could pay the exit fee but that you would not be allowed back.

As I say, rumors, no consistency regardless of who you ask. Frustrating to say the least.

rendul

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
rendul.tripod.com
So just for the hell of it and also my my own information I decided to call the Dominican Embassy in Ottawa 1-613-563-9893

Chatted a bit with the guy that answered with a Dominican accent. I asked about staying a few months and that I do not own property in the DR and just want to rent for a few months ?

He said that the tourist card is good for 30 days and when I leave just pay at the airport the overstay penalty :rolleyes:

So I said are you sure? I heard that the laws have changed so he passed me on to the consulate whos' name is Maria Leyba and here is what she had to say.

The tourist card is good for 60 days so before the 60 days are up you can go to immigration located at POP airport and renew it for another 60 days. But that is all you can renew it for. So I asked what about property owners. She said same rules apply if they don't have residency.

Last question, so what happens if I stay for 5 months? She said she doesn't have an answer to that at this time and that's this is all new and she is sure it needs some adjustments but for now it's best to leave the country after 60/60 and enter the DR again.

Are we all clear as mud?

I was told that it is only for 30 days and must be renewed at the airport every 30 days. So they can't even be consistent on the length of the current tourist card? This is going to get messy!

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I was told that it is only for 30 days and must be renewed at the airport every 30 days. So they can't even be consistent on the length of the current tourist card? This is going to get messy!

I figured if you had called Toronto I would call Ottawa. It's all so confusing.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004

Clearly the people at the Toronto consulate have some serious catching up to do. While there is a lot of confusion about the new law, I think one thing that has been clear is that the tourist card is now 60 days.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011

One thing for sure, the country is not exactly known to be a stickler for abiding to the rules, there are always going to be the staff who rely on those overstay taxes to feed the kids back in the barrio. Unless you killed someone, not many casual taxes pass the RD2000 mark. I will stick my neck out and say if you don't want this new rule to effect you, it really needn't, business as usual.
Time will tell, and there will be many many people who know nothing until they go to leave. I spoke to my pal in Cabrete today, he's been there almost 18 months, him and his surf dude buddies know nothing of any of this. I told them and I got the response I expect from most, they can't fault me for not abiding to something I didn't know existed, screw em!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Time will tell, and there will be many many people who know nothing until they go to leave. I spoke to my pal in Cabrete today, he's been there almost 18 months, him and his surf dude buddies know nothing of any of this. I told them and I got the response I expect from most, they can't fault me for not abiding to something I didn't know existed, screw em!

I guess they never heard the expression: " Ignorance of the law is no excuse."

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
But they can. It's a pretty much universal legal principal that "ignorance of the law is no excuse."

Status
Not open for further replies.