New power plant location?.

C

Canadian Bob

There is a strong rumor circulating that another power plant is to be installed next to the presently operating Smith-Enron plant between Costambar & Puerto Plata. The present plant created massive pollution & economic problems in Costambar & the surrounding areas. The new power plant was originally destined for Maimon, but the tourist resorts there would have been devasted, and opposition from the tourist resort owners strongly rejected it, so the site was shifted to the location described above. Please contact me if you have any useful information. Thanks!

G

Grahame Bush

Other than the port itself, there is nothing in between Costamber & Puerto Plata town. As there is already a plant IN this port & little space to put another, I doubt very much whether the information you have heard is anything other than rumour. As all the authorities are trying to open up Ouerto Plata as a port to receive Tourist cruise ships, I doubt whether anyone would try to put a second plant into the port area.

I think a very good spot for the new plant might well be alongside the airport .... right by the military base there!!!!! What do others think? - GB.

P

Phyllis

Excellent idea Grahame, I agree that is a perfect location for the new plant!

A

A. Nony Mouse

It's true!

I just went and looked. There is lots of room for another planta of Smith Enron proportions between the Smith Enron location and Costambar. The Smith Enron plant has been shut down for some time now. They had the stupid idea that if they paid enough kickbacks to the government that they would be paid rip off prices for generating power. The government changed. Now they are sadder and wiser.

Now it is time for new firms to install their obsolete equipment here and pay kickbacks to the people who are currently in power! Soon the DR will have far more generating capacity than it needs and can negotiate these opportunistic "investors" into reasonable prices.

I

inside the forest

Graham...

You may have a point. As the prevailing wind is from the east any pollution that would be generated would blow across the cane fields and screw up the base for our Vitamin B3 (Barcelo, Brugal, Bermudez). Don't know if the plant could be built far enough from the end of the runway so the stacks don't interfere with landing of aircraft, also where would they park the barge to off load fuel? etc....

Better idea is that Smith Enron float the barge and leave and someone else take their spot on the shore and supply electricity at a realistic price to the wholesaler CDE. Of course they may not get there money either so leaves us in the same old "s--t"

we all know that the whole thing is about money. The story of electricity ("New gold found by Spanish Conquistors") should be told the way it really is. You don't have to be a Taino indian to understand,