Pleyero charges the 16% tax

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
euhhh, do you mean the supermarket Playero?

So, why are you angry that they follow the law, and charge the legal VAT?

In the US, or Europe, you happily (well, you do pay... lol) pay the local, legal VAT. Why do you complain about it here?

OK, for US citizens it is high... for us Europeans it is "normal".

Belgium... 21% on most items, 6% on some food staples, loads higher on alcohol and tobacco.
Netherlands... 19% on most items
France... 17% (not 100% sure about this... but in this region)

BelgianK

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
If you find a Supermarket in the DR that does NOT charge the 16% please let us know.

Feb 7, 2007
Most basic food items, such as bread, milk, rice, cheese, ham etc. are NOT subject to VAT. If they charge it they are ocketing it, because they are not remitting it. No suermarket should charge VAT-ITBIS for basic food stales which are ITBIS exempt.

bermyboy

Bronze
Dec 13, 2007
Yea the tax is in the price they do not charge you 16% on top of the nmarked price check out your recipte next time !

baby bori

May 18, 2010
Don't plan on going there I'm not interested in Sosua, Caberete, nor Puerto Plata...............infested with awkward and odd non-latinos the majority don't know, understand, nor appreciate Dominican culture just there for the cheap pie.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Frankly, I was very surprised. Guess I'll try to AVOID and find other sources , when possible!

What was the surprise? All sellers are required to collect it. Depending on the store, it is either included in the post price, then broken down on the receipt or it is added to the posted price at check out.

This is noting new.

Feb 7, 2007
@Ken - most of the large stores post prices with ITBIS included, same practice as in Euroe where prices quoted include VAT. Now for services it depends, many are quoted without taxes. But physical goods are mostly quoted final price.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Tell me again why there is such a fuss about Playero charging the required taxes?

What is Dominican about the conversation now ??

Last edited by a moderator:

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Tell me again why there is such a fuss about Playero charging the required taxes?

What is Dominican about the conversation now
?

You're right WW. I'm sure as soon as Hlywud gets time he'll do a clean-up in aisle 3.

Last edited by a moderator:

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
At Janet's, in Caberete, the receipt shows the VAT on the left column, and the price without VAT on the right column. At the bottom you get the total, including the VAT, and the VAT seperately.

If you pay by CC or ATM card, they enter the total including VAT on the machine, but somehow they also have to enter the VAT seperately.

Although it is a very correct way to do it, it sometimes is a pain in the ass. Our cleaning lady sometimes asks me to bring a couple of items from Janets, as they are a lot cheaper for her than at her local colmado. She reimburses me for them, but it means I have to add the VAT to all prices again.

BelgianK

james

Jan 14, 2002
The Playero receipts are set up correctly....The right column shows the amount before tax and the left column shows the amount of tax if applicable and if there is none on that item it shows a Zero tax. The bottom of the list shows the breakdown of total tax applicable and total goods price and final total. For instance on a receipt from today Mangos, yogurt, eggs and sliced ham had zero tax but hair shampoo, soft drinks, wine, snack foods all had tax.