Opus X Cigars?

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Where's the best place to buy Opus X's - pricewise? Closer to the north coast is better.
Are real ones even available on the island?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
JR Cigars??? One of the websites??
there is a Fuente Store in Santo Domingo: Prices are high.
There is another place in La Romana called--I think--Plaza Caribe?? which sells every cigars made by the major houses here.

You cannot get Opus X cheaper here than in the states..

HB

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
Can you even GET Opus X inside the Dominican Republic. I was led to understand that they are made for "export only". Of course everything "export only" can leak 10-20% of the production inside the country (it's even legal). If anyone locates Opus X in this country please let me know so I can buy a slug of them. I have a friend who loves them more than life itself (obviously).

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
They are all exported and brought back in...that explains the high prices...

HB

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Check Cafe Cubano in Sosua

Bob K

Nothing against Cafe Cubano, but there is zero chance that they would have the real deal in stock there. In fact any Cigar store except the ones mentioned above would not have them. I have seen the phonies here, and they look real, with the seal and all. But they are PHONIES.

Be very careful buying these, as there are a lot of fakes on the Island.

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
HB what is the best cigar at the best price i can get in santiago to bring back home ? And where can i get them . I like dabadoff but i think thy are for x port only as well !

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
yacht chef - go to the cigar store at The Gran Almirante hotel in Santiago. it is owned by the man who runs Davidoff. The prices are fair (not cheap, but realistic) And they have just about every Dominican Cigar available in the country...including Davidoff...and for sure 100% genuine.

If you're bringing back just one cigar for someone, La Aurora Preferido is probably the "nicest"... a great cigar in a unique and very good looking tube. Was one of the top 10 Cigars of The Year in CA a few years ago. They sell for about $15 each.

If you're looking for boxes, check there and very close to there is Supermercado Nacional...which will have Leon Jimenez and Aurora for a bit less...Also other brands like Romeo y Julieta, Montecristo, etc...but not sure if they're cheaper there...worth comparing the two places if you're buying boxes...

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Yacht Chef: Follow DavidZ's advice. That is one of the best cigar stores in the DR--the one at the Gran Almirante. At Centro Leon, they no longer sell a lot of cigars.
You have the option of going to the factory in Tamboril Zona Franca. Ask for Manuel Inoa!

HB

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I just shipped over 500 cigars from Boston to Santo Domingo!

About half are Dominican,the rest from Nicaragua/Honduras,Costa Rica,with "wrappers" from around the world.
I buy them on cigar internet auction sites.It is MUCH cheaper than buying them here in the DR,even with the shipping.
They selection is in the thousands and thousands o brands.
If you pm me your email address,I will send you today's email from "Cigarauctioneer.com,and some other good sites.
Cigar auctioneer has a "Sale" on several Opus 10 cigars.They are in the $10 to $12 apiece range.
I really like Rocky Patel's "Olde World Reserve",and the "Gurkha Black Dragon ",and the Alec Bradly Prensado".
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
I would like "Hill Billy to post more of his vast knowledge about "Puros!

sosuajames

Mar 8, 2005
Criss Colon;1112137 I would like "Hill Billy to post more of his vast knowledge about "Puros![/QUOTE said:
for a cigar to be a puro, doesn't the wrapper, binder and filler all have to come from the same country?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Probably an overworked term: "PUROS" ....

today even Cuban cigars have Dominican tobacco in them...yup..and so do Honduran and Nicaraguan cigars. And Dominican cigars have Honduran and Brazilian and Ecuadorian and Indonesian and and and....so on..in them...And, if I use Cuban seeds or Nicaraguan seeds, does that mean that it is not "puro"??? See what I mean??? Let's forget that term in the "classic" sense...

PUROS is probably best described as being real, quality tobacco, hand made, with love and care, by some cigar roller in some factory, somewhere. The number of countries making great cigars in probably limited to five: Cuba, Dominican Republic, Nicaragua, Honduras and Costa Rica. Brazil and the Philippines and Indonesia make cigars, but I do not think they will every displace the Big Five. ( You know? I forgot Mexico...they make cigars too, but I am not much of a fan.)

HB

Last edited:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
There are stiLL "Puros"' in the classical sense' on the market.

Some made here in the DR.
The same leaf is used for the Filler,Binder,and Wrapper,hence it is "Pure" or "Puro".
Most "Masters",blenders,use leaves from a number of different tobacco plantings,either all from the same country,but usually from different countries.Gives master blenders the opportunity to be more creative in their cigars. :smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke:
Tobacco,like grapes,is subject to different climates,rain fall,SUNLIGHT,soil,(Central America is "Volcanic",and has minerals from deep inside the Earth.Dominican soil is "Pushed Up" from only the "crust"'
and very important,ageing,fermenting,and again,ageing the rolled cigars.
The same cigars,from the same makers will be different from year to year,just like wine.
CC

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
About half are Dominican,the rest from Nicaragua/Honduras,Costa Rica,with "wrappers" from around the world.
I buy them on cigar internet auction sites.It is MUCH cheaper than buying them here in the DR,even with the shipping.
They selection is in the thousands and thousands o brands.
If you pm me your email address,I will send you today's email from "Cigarauctioneer.com,and some other good sites.
Cigar auctioneer has a "Sale" on several Opus 10 cigars.They are in the $10 to $12 apiece range.
I really like Rocky Patel's "Olde World Reserve",and the "Gurkha Black Dragon ",and the Alec Bradly Prensado".
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
I would like "Hill Billy to post more of his vast knowledge about "Puros!

The auction sites are a great way to buy cigars...but rarely can you get a good deal on Opus X on any of them. The three vitolas of Opus X on CigarAuctioneer today sold for $25 - $40 EACH (they had 20 in total).

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
David,check out cigarbid.com,there are 2 opus 10s at about 22 to 25 dollars bid right now.They have a day and a half to go before end of auction,so they will go up,but who knows how much?????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC