Harina de Centeno

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Rye Flour (Harina de Centeno)

For my personal needs and those of two German friends I am about to establish a (more or less) regular shipment of rye flour to Santo Domingo.
A source that has been supplying me so far is now dropping that line and may shut down its business alltogether.
From experience I know that 'harina de centeno' is not imported into this country and can only be bought as a baking mixture whose ingredients do not go along well with my sour dough recipe. (I tried that as a last resort 12 years ago...).

Before I proceed I would like to make a last call:

Does anybody know of a place in this country where pure rye flour can be bought readily and regularly?

donP

Last edited:

Manuel01

Apr 1, 2009
I found this 11 year old post on google looking for Rye Flour. Anybody has a reliable info about where i can buy it locally ?
If you google it, Nacional pops up but they are always out of stock.

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
I found this 11 year old post on google looking for Rye Flour. Anybody has a reliable info about where i can buy it locally ?
Amazon has lots of good brands, quality packaged. No problems to ship here with a BPS/CPS account

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
That's odd. Jumbo usually has Rye Bread for sale that they make in their bakery. Maybe check with Jumbo?

Reactions: La Profe_1

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Try Bravo.
They seem to be consistent with most of their products.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Try Bravo.
They seem to be consistent with most of their products.
I asked in my Bravo here in SC. No go. As a matter of fact, if you're looking for 100% whole wheat floor bread, the only one they have is Natures Own.

e94a61c3-01f4-4ae6-ab5e-24135f4f0888.30ef8c9277901126d0656a1171cb5480.jpeg

Reactions: CristoRey
Aug 21, 2007
JD I think she wants rye bread. I have found it very difficult to find it here. Sometimes the bakeries that supply Playero in Sosua have it and sometime Nacional, but it is not like the Jewish rye I crave.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
JD I think she wants rye bread. I have found it very difficult to find it here. Sometimes the bakeries that supply Playero in Sosua have it and sometime Nacional, but it is not like the Jewish rye I crave.
I understand. She said Rye flour to make her own bread, I assume. JUMBO usually has Rye Bread, but I agree, it's not that impressive.
Hopefully she could get the Jumbo Bakery manager to sell her a small amount.

I buy rye bread on Amazon. Don't ask how much it costs. ;)

Reactions: LindseyKaufman

El Hijo de Manolo

Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
I understand. She said Rye flour to make her own bread, I assume. JUMBO usually has Rye Bread, but I agree, it's not that impressive.
Hopefully she could get the Jumbo Bakery manager to sell her a small amount.

I buy rye bread on Amazon. Don't ask how much it costs. ;)
I never saw rye bread in Playero. It would be great if they had it. Not the super thin cement texture German style either. If you buy on Amazon it should take 10 days based on my experience, best speed 7 with CPS/BPS. How long does it stay fresh? Can you send the link to the one you are buying if you like it. Thanks

Reactions: JD Jones

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
I never saw rye bread in Playero. It would be great if they had it. Not the super thin cement texture German style either. If you buy on Amazon it should take 10 days based on my experience, best speed 7 with CPS/BPS. How long does it stay fresh? Can you send the link to the one you are buying if you like it. Thanks
I just purchased two loaves yesterday which will be delivered today.
81vbYZwlTxL._SL1500_.jpg

The 100% whole wheat I get at Bravo is always pretty fresh. The kid who stocks it says it sells pretty quickly.

I'm still trying to figure out the logistics of Domex for the quickest delivery.

I'll let you know.

El Hijo de Manolo

Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
I just purchased two loaves yesterday which will be delivered today.
81vbYZwlTxL._SL1500_.jpg

The 100% whole wheat I get at Bravo is always pretty fresh. The kid who stocks it says it sells pretty quickly.

I'm still trying to figure out the logistics of Domex for the quickest delivery.

I'll let you know.
You ordered 2 loaves of bread on Amazon on a Sunday and they will be in your hands in SC tomorrow? How do you do that

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
You ordered 2 loaves of bread on Amazon on a Sunday and they will be in your hands in SC tomorrow? How do you do that
No. They were delivered in Miami this morning. Before 9 am. Sorry for the confusion.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
I've never taken the purchase days into consideration until lately. I suspect buying anything on a Tuesday or Wednesday will get it to me by mon. or tue.
My next purchase will be on those days to see how it goes.