Not such a great trip this time thanks to the policia nacional!

Status
Not open for further replies.

amstellite

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
Well, back from another trip to the DR . This time was not as before, this time I came up against the ugly side of the Policia Nacional.. in La Urena.. travelling with a friend in his nice car at 5 30pm after late lunch, on the main Las Americas highway , we are flagged down, rudely, to stop. In the middle of traffic. in the middle of multitudes of people. They come straight to my passenger side and tell me to get out and they were loud and impatient. My driver, a tour guide who works in Punta Cana but lives in that part of town, starts reaching for his licence and they tell him to get out. Outside, they rifle the car with flashlights, even demanding to know what was in my sunscreen. Then demand I empty my pockets, which were full of cash... maybe 8000 pesos , my wallet and camera. Their eyes bulged. They did not say what they wanted. My friend showed them all the right paperwork, but they got harsher and harsher. Then , and I dont know what happened, but my friend showed them a letter . They immediately backed off and said we can go. I was trembling I am not ashamed to say. Not because I had done anything wrong, but because I didn t understand the language fully, and it looked serious.... I have never met with this before in the 7 years I have been repeatedly travelling to Santo Domingo and La Caleta. I have come across cops who stop the moto and ask for a few pesos, but nothing ever as scary as this. I even buy cops beers and maybe a sandwich when I see them in la caleta. They never bother me. These guys were awful. I could hear them talking to my friend about " the gringo" . I am not made of glass but this was not part of my dream vacation package.I thought I was going to jail for nothing and was going to lose all my money. All these years I have been walking around the DR thinking I were immune and these things only happen to Dominicans there. I have told people here in the States whio have been scared of travelling in the DR that the police there dont harass tourists. They know better. Well now I know that is not true and it was a very rude awakening for me to come to terms with this. Maybe it s as well In find out now before I move there. I still love the DR and the people and a few bent cops are not going to ruin it for me, but I will always from now on be aware of what is going on and will never carry more than 2000 pesos with me in future.
Just putting this out there for all those who maybe were on cloud nine like I used to be, believing the DR to be a perfect paradise for the likes of me....ah well,. readjusting my dreams...

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Sorry you had the bad trip, a reality check had to kick in at some point, one can only go so long without a little dose, but glad you're not dampened down by the slap down.
La Caleta is going through big change right now. All the long term Haitian residents are being driven out, the Haitian motos being taxed out of business and so driven out, so it is not a good time. This is not a residents vs residents thing, it is a PN thing, they are out of control. Good Neigbours of our family recently had their houses ransacked through the night, a couple of the women slapped about for standing up for themselves, no one now can employ a Haitian for fear of problems for themselves.
i have been asking the family what has happened, how did all this start in why and how did this change about come so quickly. Haitians in La Caleta have got along pretty well for years, now they are leaving for the Eastcoast and central regions to avoid this BS.
So, no, La Caleta is a place to avoid if you are foreign right now, Haitian, English, American or alien, seems it doesn't matter.
im sure it will come to an end. Once people know what is going on, but it is out of the blue and people are confused right now.

amstellite

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
that s sad man.... my friend has a beautiful home, nice car but may look a little darker than most... do you mean they could be looking at that? To be frank, they were not keen on me at all and I was tightlipped,,, gave no cheek,,,, so I think they were just out to get whomever they could... shame about the Haitian thing,,, though I have seen that before in la Caleta.. PN pulled up in a waggon one day outside of my colmado up in Campo Lindo and took off a number of guys.... me they just politely, told to sit back down.. even though I was reaching for my wallet and ID they weren t interested. that was about two years ago... the Haitians are havign a really bad time it seems... I eventualy saw the movie you sent me about the batey... very sad
Sorry you had the bad trip, a reality check had to kick in at some point, one can only go so long without a little dose, but glad you're not dampened down by the slap down.
La Caleta is going through big change right now. All the long term Haitian residents are being driven out, the Haitian motos being taxed out of business and so driven out, so it is not a good time. This is not a residents vs residents thing, it is a PN thing, they are out of control. Good Neigbours of our family recently had their houses ransacked through the night, a couple of the women slapped about for standing up for themselves, no one now can employ a Haitian for fear of problems for themselves.
i have been asking the family what has happened, how did all this start in why and how did this change about come so quickly. Haitians in La Caleta have got along pretty well for years, now they are leaving for the Eastcoast and central regions to avoid this BS.
So, no, La Caleta is a place to avoid if you are foreign right now, Haitian, English, American or alien, seems it doesn't matter.
im sure it will come to an end. Once people know what is going on, but it is out of the blue and people are confused right now.

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
Someone better wake up and smell the coffee. Same thing happened to about 6 of us on a recent trip, in seperate incidents. I wrote to all the airlines and hotels serving the area. 90% replied that it was not their problem. When tourism declines and they have empty hotels, then they will discover that it IS their problem, and they better put some pressure on the government now to stop it.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Not going to happen, if they cut down on Crime committed by the PN they would have to pay them a living salary. Tourism has been down for some years now and the PN are getting noticeably worse, so no, it is going to get worse until the playing field is completely deserted and they destroy their own hunting ground. As an ignorant species man hunted certain animals to extinction, didn't consider tomorrow, the aftermath of our actions. Consider PN the ignorant species of yesteryear in todays scenario in DR,it will drive the game so far into A/I land that they will have no more game to hunt/tax. Hence the rising taxation of Dominicans, they are already starting to show cannibalistic tendencies.

Last edited:

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Wow..I just had a bad experience a few days ago which leaves me wondering. In all the years I have been here I've never had it happen until now. Years ago it use to be they would just want a few pesos and were pretty decent about it. Now it is quite different. They pull you over and you don't know what they want, take you to jail, rob you, kill you, who knows.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
The REALITY Of The DR Is,Choose the people,and places you hang out with,and IN!

I NOW understand why you should never choose to befriend people in the DR,who you wouldn't be caught dead with :dead::dead:,OR,maybe you would ,in your home country????
Would you be friends with the "Poorest" of the Poor"?
Hotel maids,bartenders,"Animators",unemployed street sweepers,Pimps and Prostitutes,and "Ladrones" :bandit::bandit::bandit:where you live.
Would you sit drinking on a street corner,with you buying the drinks, for a bunch of freeloading drunks?
Then why do you do that here???
In the DR,they say,show me who you associate with,and I'll tell you who you are.
We call it "Slumming" in the USA.
That way,you can be a "Big Fish",in a "Small Pond"!
And if you think all those "Maleducados" actually like you,close your wallet,and see how long the want to be your "Mejor Amigo"!!!!
I know,I did all those things,and MORE,when I first started coming here more than 25 years ago.
Back then at least it was safe,stupid,but not life threatening.
You can't say that today!
You either "Evolve",meaning stop acting like a "Barrio Rat" and really get to know a few Dominicans who have a job,a house,a car,an education,a "Mami Y Papi" both living with their children, and are more like the friends you associate with at "Home",or you will stop coming,or living in the DR!
To those who wish to call me a "Classist", a"Racist",or an arrogant son-0f-a-bitch,you are wrong on the first two,spot on on the last one!
I am just "Telling It Like It Is"!
I have only a few really good Dominican "Amigos",and that includes,"La Familia".
Some are even "POOR",but they all are hard working and give more than they take!
Bottom Line,don't hang with dogs,if you don't want to be treated like one.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
If you get stopped, ask for their names and numbers.
If they do not give them, tell them to fu#$ off!

They will not kill you and do something stupid, especially it's obvious you're a foreigner.
They prey on the weak and scared, don't let them intimidate you.

Oh yeah, Criss Colon's advice is golden, some of you need to open your eyes!

Dec 26, 2011
Consider PN the ignorant species of yesteryear in todays scenario in DR,it will drive the game so far into A/I land that they will have no more game to hunt/tax. Hence the rising taxation of Dominicans, they are already starting to show cannibalistic tendencies.

Very well expressed.

If you get stopped, ask for their names and numbers.
If they do not give them, tell them to fu#$ off!

They will not kill you and do something stupid, especially it's obvious you're a foreigner.
They prey on the weak and scared, don't let them intimidate you.

This too.

If I may ask, amstellite, what was in that letter?

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
Amstel, i look at the facts as this. Nice car, nice house, tour guide from a tourist area. Did you ever think this guy does more than just tour guide. Usually PN does not pull this sh!t in the middle of rush hour on a busy road. Random target i think not.

I believe the paper shown to the rude PN was from a higher ranking PN who allows the tour guide to operate. I believe a bottle of sun tan lotion would be an ideal place to hide a weeks worth of recreation. Get a new tour guide.............

amstellite

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
Chris that s unfair. I was with a guy who has a house a, family and a car. These jerks aka cops were just thugs nothing more nothign less. it had nothing to do with the fact I was in apoor neighourhood
I NOW understand why you should never choose to befriend people in the DR,who you wouldn't be caught dead with :dead::dead:,OR,maybe you would ,in your home country????
Hotel maids,bartenders,"Animators",unemployed street sweepers,Pimps and Prostitutes,and "Ladrones" :bandit::bandit::bandit:where you live.
Would you sit drinking on a street corner,with you buying the drinks, for a bunch of freeloading drunks?
In the DR,they say,show me who you associate with,and I'll tell you who you are.
And if you think all those "Maleducados" actually like you,close your wallet,and see how long the want to be your "Mejor Amigo"!!!!
I know,I did all those things,and MORE,when I first started coming here more than 25 years ago.
You either "Evolve",meaning stop acting like a "Barrio Rat" and really get to know a few Dominicans who have a job,a house,a car,an education,a "Mami Y Papi" both living with their children, and are more like the friends you associate with at "Home",or you will stop coming,or living in the DR!
To those who wish to call me a "Classist", a"Racist",or an arrogant son-0f-a-bitch,you are wrong on the first two,spot on on the last one!
I have only a few really good Dominican "Amigos",and that includes,"La Familia".
Some are even "POOR",but they all are hard working and give more than they take!

amstellite

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
I really dont know what was in the letter he showed me but later that weekend we did go to the destacamento and he wwas with someone.

amstellite

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
chris I have had fantastic experiances in the DR do you think all I want is to feel like a king every time?

Last edited:

amstellite

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
a,m I being taken then Jumbo? I bring barrels and all kinds of stuff, thinking I m helping.. are they really all in this together>? do I stand n o chance if so it s all over I m donel

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Guides in DR, tend to have a greater covering within job description, anything from Travel agent, Foreign exchange, drug dealer, pimp, Chauffeur, body guard, best friend, drinking buddy, agony aunt, hair dresser, brick layer, ok im getting a bit carried away now but you get my point. Guides have to have many many contacts as is the nature of their services, they tend to know people, know tricks, often work on back scratching basis. 'Jim'll Fix It' has nothing on some of these guys.
No one can comment on who your guide is, no one knows him, just you and if this was your first bad experience since you've been visiting the country then you haven't been too naive, people ome off far worse far quicker in a worse wy than this. In reality all that happened is they stopped you, had a look around the car, looked at some papers (they could have been anything, something or nothing) and let you go, so it's not really a huge deal, you just got a little freaked out. No need to cast everyone around you as untrustworthy, PN yes but you have common sense, obviously.
I still think you could do with sharpening up a little, you are going to get hurt on your journey because you give people the benefit of the doubt, and that is a huge mistake. When dealing with equal status people you can give the benefit of the doubt until that trust is broken, when dealing with desperate people a bit of a barrier should be up until they prove to you you can let it down somewhat. You'll get it eventually, once you've been hurt a couple of times. But you do need to try to mix with people of a similar status at least some of the time, hanging with poor people ALL the time gives you a false sense of security. They will never hurt you and will protect you as you are to some extent an asset to their lives, this does not mean they don't like YOU becau you are a good guy, but it is wrong to consider all others will hold you with this equal regard, sadly they won't.
You'll work it out once you've been in the picture for longer than vacations. Once your social life kicks off and the Santa Claus visits stop, you'll get sick of the moronic mentality of the simple living people, you need someone to buy you a beer, go to a restaurant, have a nice bottle of wine, some stimulating intelligent conversation, live a life rather than spectate other people from the sidelines.

Deyvi

*** I love DR1 ***
Dec 23, 2009

Could not say this better CC.
Could this be a case of the new precautions for tourists leaving Las Americas and being highjacked and robbed?? The US State Dept. has issued warnings etc. for the area from SD to Juan Dolio. This could be a case of mismangement in educating the PN officers in decentcy and a gringo not understanding spanish (as I). Serious talk can seem very gruff. The letter may have shown he was a legit transporter. That they had you get out 1st could have been for your protection. Checking the lotion for drugs, ok. They did not take anything? Yeah, very bad experience and I'm certainly not trying to defend PN people at this point. Had your driver inched the wrong way with questioning etc. who knows. If you were still in the vehicle you may have had his brains spattered on you. Not much proactiveness from the cops there, only reaction. Please complain to the US State Dept. with things of this nature. Not the airlines. Figures show that tourism is up rather than down. Most people go to the tourist's areas and get transported around by known operators. You, as I, often choose to think we are pros for having been there many times. Not so!! The world's economy and the drug trade has made things far worse in the DR. Like anywhere else we need to keep abreast of our surroundings and the places we go. I started going to the DR in '95. Thought it was a real "pit". Something kept bringing me back. Everything was really getting better, (my op). The last 5-6 years it's gone in the shi--er. Still hopeful things will improve and continue forward. Always has seemed like times of 2 steps forward, 1 step back. I'll continue to go there (my wife and her family are there). Some of our problems exist because many gringos are not like us. They go to the DR and
behave like animals. The Golden Rule does work for us. The dinks just make it more difficult. Keep the faith, hope you find a couple of trusted friends there.

bigwhiskey

Aug 29, 2010
The same thing happened to me last May when my lady brother picked us up at the airport he got a big 300 pesos guess they wanted some beer money.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
We used to say that a "Democrat",was just a "Republican",that hasn't been "Mugged" yet!
You could say that a person from afar,who is still a "Wanabee Dominican",just hasn't been been "Ripped Off" by enough
real Dominicans yet!
Just wait,your "Ah Ha" moment will come along soon enough!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

amstellite

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
yes yes and yes again,,,, you hit the nail on the head..... that is what I want and need .......................
Guides in DR, tend to have a greater covering within job description, anything from Travel agent, Foreign exchange, drug dealer, pimp, Chauffeur, body guard, best friend, drinking buddy, agony aunt, hair dresser, brick layer, ok im getting a bit carried away now but you get my point. Guides have to have many many contacts as is the nature of their services, they tend to know people, know tricks, often work on back scratching basis. 'Jim'll Fix It' has nothing on some of these guys.
No one can comment on who your guide is, no one knows him, just you and if this was your first bad experience since you've been visiting the country then you haven't been too naive, people ome off far worse far quicker in a worse wy than this. In reality all that happened is they stopped you, had a look around the car, looked at some papers (they could have been anything, something or nothing) and let you go, so it's not really a huge deal, you just got a little freaked out. No need to cast everyone around you as untrustworthy, PN yes but you have common sense, obviously.
I still think you could do with sharpening up a little, you are going to get hurt on your journey because you give people the benefit of the doubt, and that is a huge mistake. When dealing with equal status people you can give the benefit of the doubt until that trust is broken, when dealing with desperate people a bit of a barrier should be up until they prove to you you can let it down somewhat. You'll get it eventually, once you've been hurt a couple of times. But you do need to try to mix with people of a similar status at least some of the time, hanging with poor people ALL the time gives you a false sense of security. They will never hurt you and will protect you as you are to some extent an asset to their lives, this does not mean they don't like YOU becau you are a good guy, but it is wrong to consider all others will hold you with this equal regard, sadly they won't.
You'll work it out once you've been in the picture for longer than vacations. Once your social life kicks off and the Santa Claus visits stop, you'll get sick of the moronic mentality of the simple living people, you need someone to buy you a beer, go to a restaurant, have a nice bottle of wine, some stimulating intelligent conversation, live a life rather than spectate other people from the sidelines.

amstellite

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
it is happening right now.. Chris......
We used to say that a "Democrat",was just a "Republican",that hasn't been "Mugged" yet!
You could say that a person from afar,who is still a "Wanabee Dominican",just hasn't been been "Ripped Off" by enough
real Dominicans yet!
Just wait,your "Ah Ha" moment will come along soon enough!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Status
Not open for further replies.