Sending stuff from from Miami to POP

surferboy

Jul 24, 2009
What's the best way to send about 3 lbs of clothes from MIA to POP?
I never saw a mailman in the DR, so I guess USPS is not an option.
Fedex/UPS however are very expensive, especially as time is not an issue in this case.
Are there any other recommended alternatives?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Use one of the maildrops: EPS, CPS, BusinessMAil...anyof them

Or get more stuff and send a box for 75$$

HB

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
What's the best way to send about 3 lbs of clothes from MIA to POP?
I never saw a mailman in the DR, so I guess USPS is not an option.
Fedex/UPS however are very expensive, especially as time is not an issue in this case.
Are there any other recommended alternatives?

USPS is also an option. But from US, send priority mail, not regular mail.

surferboy

Jul 24, 2009
to Hillbilly:
could you tell me more about the 'maildrops' - never heard of them and how they work/how much they cost/how safe they are, tks

to Ken:
do you actually know people who received USPS priority mail in a POP barrio like Bello Costero?
i do have my doubts with their funny street naming/numbering system there, that the local mailman/woman would be able to locate the receiver's house - and also that such a package or its contents (attractive clothing) would just 'disappear', tks

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
to Ken:
do you actually know people who received USPS priority mail in a POP barrio like Bello Costero?
i do have my doubts with their funny street naming/numbering system there, that the local mailman/woman would be able to locate the receiver's house - and also that such a package or its contents (attractive clothing) would just 'disappear', tks

If people in the barrios get mail it is most likely via the Dominican postal system. I believe for packages the post office notifies the person he has mail.

The Dominican postal system has what they call Express Mail. This is pretty good service. Mail coming as priority mail from the US is considered Express Mail here. This has been discussed on the board previously and there are people who said they get international mail, including parcels, in this way.

However you send it, somewhere between you and your desired recipient there is a possibility something will go missing. But I don't think this is a big problem.

The other services, such as EPS, Business Mail, etc., that Hillbilly mentioned are courier services that you subscribe to. I have EPS, for example. Things sent to me from the US go to an address that I have via EPS in Miami. It is brought here and goes to the EPS in Sosua where I live and I pick it up at the local EPS office. I doubt very much that your friends in the barrio in POP have a subscription to one of these services. They are like FedEx and UPS, but cheaper.

I get my mail via EPS, but they don't carry things from here to the US. So I have used the Sosua Post Office and their Express Mail to send several parcels to the US.

Check out Castellamonte's suggestion, also. I have never used them but am sure he would not be suggesting them if he hadn't had good experience.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I was a big fan of Transexpress, but I am using Encargopaq now. They are less expensive and delivery directly to your house.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
I was a big fan of Transexpress, but I am using Encargopaq now. They are less expensive and delivery directly to your house.

Very good experiences with Encargopaq as well. About 3 times cheaper than EPS, but might be a day slower. Who cares?

And no membership fees.

BelgianK