Im Moving! Need some info guys.

turksman

Mar 14, 2005
Hi guys, I am planning on moving to the DR around August with my family (Myself, my 12 and 8 year old daughters, my 1 year old baby and my Fiancee) and have some questions. First of all we have been living in the Turks and Caicos Islands for the last 4 years together and apart from it being a really pretty country their is nothing much to do here but go to the beach and work. I have an IT company here that does very well and will live off of that salary in the DR. The DR is only 40 minutes away by plane from the Turks and Caicos so I can travel back and forth for business if needed easily. My fiancee is Canadian and really misses the convenience of a city. Simple things like bowling we cant even do here and the population is about 30,000 people so you can kind of understand how it is here. I was also married to a Dominican woman who is the mother of my two eldest daughters coming with us and can speak 90% fluent I would say Dominican Spanish as that is the first thing non dominicans ask me who hear me speaking spanish because of my accent.

1. I would like to know a very nice safe neighborhood for families to take walks in (a park would be awesome) to live in about 15-20 minutes outside of Santo Domingo? This way we can drive to the city whenever we want to do something.

2. I would like to know about a good but affordable school for my daughters and preferably one that is Bilingual.

Also can you guys give me a guestimation of a monthly budget for a 3BDR House, Electricty, Water, and a Housekeeper.

Thanks!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Why Santo Domingo???

Santiago has it all and is (A) a lot cheaper and (B) a lot easier to get around in even if you have a car and (C) is near mountains and beaches and (D) has a couple of nice bi-lingual affordable school. Housing is probably cheaper, but for you to be outside of Santo Domingo is insanity!!

Think Santiago area...

HB

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
you are the guy with the dogs, right?

It will not be so easy to find a rental, which will allow 4 dogs. I know from experience...

Good luck

BelgianK

Deyvi

*** I love DR1 ***
Dec 23, 2009
Why Santo Domingo???

Santiago has it all and is (A) a lot cheaper and (B) a lot easier to get around in even if you have a car and (C) is near mountains and beaches and (D) has a couple of nice bi-lingual affordable school. Housing is probably cheaper, but for you to be outside of Santo Domingo is insanity!!

Think Santiago area...

HB

INDEED!!! Given a choice, Santiago for sure. The Dominicans that assimulate well in the US seem to be from that area. It is known for the best Universities and closer to the nice "campos" (country) and people of the DR. Better ed for your children, and overall quality of life. Sounds like beaches are an everyday thing for your family. You'll probably enjoy them more as a getaway. Santo Domingo is not a good place. Given your flexability, most will say it's a " no brainer". Hillbilly is probably the most respected poster on this site. You can call up his previous posts to verify this. Private message him!! He will help you big time. Best Wishes.

turksman

Mar 14, 2005
OMG really Belgiank!! My dogs are my family and I will definitely have to find a house that allows it. Aren't you able to pay an extra deposit for this?

turksman

Mar 14, 2005
Why Santo Domingo???

Think Santiago area...

HB

HB like I said my fiancee is originally from Canada and she loveeeees the beach. About how far away is the beach from a nice neighborhood in Santiago.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Un chin

HB like I said my fiancee is originally from Canada and she loveeeees the beach. About how far away is the beach from a nice neighborhood in Santiago.

British understatement (although HB does not hail from GB) and the Dominican attitude to never give a disappointing answer would sum it up as "un chin all?".... :bunny:

donP

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Beaches: Punta Rucia-1:30

Sosua: 1:30
Cabarete: 1:30

Rio San Juan: 2:30
Nagua: 2:30
Montecristi: 2:00

Good roads to all of them and good food once you get there..

Dogs? Lots of houses for rent where dogs are welcome. Good vets around.

To be fair, two of my best friends in Santo Domingo moved to Punta Cana to get away from the traffic of Sto Dgo....And they work on the internet also.

Santiago's airport is the nicest in the country. Punta Cana might be second. Santo Domingo is last...even POP is nicer...
HB

turksman

Mar 14, 2005
Beaches: Punta Rucia-1:30

Sosua: 1:30
Cabarete: 1:30

Rio San Juan: 2:30
Nagua: 2:30
Montecristi: 2:00

Good roads to all of them and good food once you get there..

Dogs? Lots of houses for rent where dogs are welcome. Good vets around.

To be fair, two of my best friends in Santo Domingo moved to Punta Cana to get away from the traffic of Sto Dgo....And they work on the internet also.

Santiago's airport is the nicest in the country. Punta Cana might be second. Santo Domingo is last...even POP is nicer...
HB

HB you have me sold!! :)

I presume for the first 6 months or so I will be traveling back and forth out of the country for businesses purposes. I need two things:

1. A personal Driver/Bodyguard for my fiancee and kids that can stay with them at all times.

2. A live in Helper to take care of the cleaning in the house.

Can you guys give me some ideas on pricing for those two things? Thanks

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
HB you have me sold!! :)

I presume for the first 6 months or so I will be traveling back and forth out of the country for businesses purposes. I need two things:

1. A personal Driver/Bodyguard for my fiancee and kids that can stay with them at all times.

2. A live in Helper to take care of the cleaning in the house.

Can you guys give me some ideas on pricing for those two things? Thanks

A driver I understand but a bodyguard?? :/, I wouldn't want to live anywhere where I needed a bodyguard.

You can look at my closed thread "Trabajadora Domestica wages" to get an idea of the pricing and requirements for live-in help.

SHALENA

tao112

Jul 6, 2011
..In santiago you are very far from the beach..the nightlife is smaller too. In santiago they got no big malls and what they got is very limited. In santo domingo theres many more activities to keep you busy and there is also a much larger selections of restaurants and entertainment.

Just go safe, rent a big apartment in naco, piantini or anacaona and you will be just fine with no crime.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
The Bodyguard

A personal Driver/Bodyguard for my fiancee and kids that can stay with them at all times.
Well, you are not moving to Ciudad Ju?rez, Culiac?n or Tijuana.
And with a "body guard" you might just invite the devil to your house...
As Shalena said, a driver makes sense until you know how to drive in a cage full of monkeys.

Can you guys give me some ideas on pricing for those two things?
A Kevin Costner type guard would cost you dearly, others are useless.

I'd estimate with all your needs and the standard you seek you are looking at 4- 5,000$/month, probably more.

donP

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
Before you arrive for good you need to hire a lawyer he or she will help you with everything you are looking for bodyguard, maid, driver etc. For the type of money you have I would choose La Romana over both Santiago and Santo Domingo. You can always take trips to both Santiago and the capital, but if you are talking about having a bodyguard you need to be in La Romana.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Before you arrive for good you need to hire a lawyer he or she will help you with everything you are looking for bodyguard, maid, driver etc. For the type of money you have I would choose La Romana over both Santiago and Santo Domingo. You can always take trips to both Santiago and the capital, but if you are talking about having a bodyguard you need to be in La Romana.

I do not recommend that. You will end up employing the lawyer's whole family and then when they rob you (cuz they will know EVERYTHING about you), the lawyer will have them do it in a way that they will never be prosecuted.

SHALENA

Colombianonrd

Oct 25, 2011
If your Fiance is good looking the Driver and Bodyguard you hire might be giving her what you cant give her while your gone!!!!!

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
I do not recommend that. You will end up employing the lawyer's whole family and then when they rob you (cuz they will know EVERYTHING about you), the lawyer will have them do it in a way that they will never be prosecuted.

SHALENA
I know but you have to TRUST someone in the DR. Otherwise how will he preform interviews if he does know the signs that indicate that this person is not trustworthy. Trial and error is always a plan but sometimes it can be a PRICEY error believe I know.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Although I have always lived in Santo Domigo I may have to agree that Santiago or La Romana might be better suited for you. While Santo Domingo has everything so to speak it can be overwhelming at times and traffic is a nightmare. Beach wise there is none unless you count Juan Dolio or Boca Chica. You can always take trips to the Capital if needed.