Gran Velero Changes To El Toro

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
From today's Sosua News:

[h=5]Bar nightclub Gran Velero, better known as Bar Latino, passed into new hands. The two new tenants hail from Canada and are now busy to renovate the bar and the nightclub behind the bar. They have also given the bar a new name: 'El Toro Bar Disco'. In early September the new owners expect to be ready with the renovation and to open the bar with some festivities. They sure want to revive the nightclub, but how they will do this is still unclear. The entrance fee for the nightclub will in any case be 100 peso. What the new prices for the drinks will be, the new owners could not yet tell.[/h]

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
They have been open for 2 weeks now and except for some new paint, I can't see any improvements. I haven't seen one customer in there yet.....while El Flow and Rumba are both holding their own.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
uh, oh, another bunch of gringos into the bar biz in Sosua. An "entrance fee"-for what? Sounds like this venture will be short lived. There seems to be an endless supply of gringos with a few bucks who think they are a bit smarter than the average Dominican. Good luck with that my fren. Unless I miss my guess there will be some lessons learned here.

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
Entrance fee....what fools! They want to compete with Classico's but it will never work. I hardly ever go up to Classico's as I enjoy Rumba bar...cheap booze, dance floor if I want to dance and a great location. Willy's new bar on the corner will also have a disco along with a car wash and the Dominican's that used to go to what was then Latino's will follow him. Sorry, but I see El Torro as being doomed before they even really get started. As Seamonkey said, the bar has been open for a couple of weeks and it has been completely empty. No atmosphere what so ever.

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
El Toro bar Disco ? Sounds like a gay bar. Did these Canucks do their homework? Would do better selling phone cards at the traffic light. Sorry, but the truth hertz!

FritoBandito

Bronze
Dec 19, 2009
Classicos was always the gringo/tourist disco, and Latinos disco crowd was mostly Dominicans........going to be a lot of unhappy Dominicans!!!!!!!!!