Samana-how would you describe it? *DC*

A

Andy

Re: Samana-how would you describe it?

See for yourself and form your own opinion. Check out the link below.

S

Susanne

It is stunning. Green, green mountains, long beaches, solitude, lively little towns in between, turqoise waters...I fell in love instantly.

It is still relatively unspoiled. However, if you want very lively nightlife, big resorts in clusters, frentic pace etc. this is not the place for you.

It is the place to sit on a porch or in the shade of a palm tree, sipping something cool and discover the rare feeling of being happy just being alive. Oh, there is action if you want it. Horseback riding, swimming, snorkling, diving, sailing - all the activities that come with beautiful nature. And you can go to the market in Samana - which is not the touristic version at all - you can see local art, you can find places to dance, to talk, to drink, whatever.

I am definitely coming back with my family. It is just a question of time (and money). And this time we will be staying all the time in Samana.

Best regards,
Susanne

A

Andy

Re: I found it to have alot of Mosquitoes!

You havn't been to Florida's Everglades or Georgia's Okeefenokee Swamp lately, have you? Talk about mosquitoes...Samana has nothing compared to these places.

K

KenDP

Here is another link. Site has both English and Spanish versions, which you can switch between by clicking.

J

Jamie

Re: I found it to have alot of Mosquitoes!

Geese, I live in Oregon in the mountains, and we have a lot of them too. In reality if the worst thing you have to say about someplace is that it has a lot of mosquitoes, than that aint too bad! I have some great stuff called "OFF!!" it works wonders.

A

Abraham S.

SAMANA RULES! :)

Samana's a great place, I was there a couple of month ago, went to Cayo Levantado, I was surprised to see how organized everything was, the way the boat trip is orchestrated, how security is enforced (1 frst. world style) everybody most wear life preservative and be in his proper place in order to travel to the Island. Once in Cayo Levantado I was also amazed to see how clean the place was, I have seen few places more beautiful than this, from the island, you take a bigger boat to see the whales, you can stay in the island all you want and they come late in the afternoon to take you back to the mainland.

Great place, great vacation.

I recommend Grand Bahia hotel, beautiful!,

Samana rules!

Have a great trip!.

Samana rules!

Have a great trip!.

N

Natasha

I would also suggest that you do an archive search here on DR1. You will find tons of posts describing Samana. I myself have written a few (honeymooned there). Look also for a Samana trip report by JD. Although she wrote it back in March 1999 (I think), it is still an excellent piece. I have been around the Caribbean (13 islands so far) and I still find Samana's beauty unmatched.

Regards,
Natasha

H

hillbilly

Without reading the other posts!!

Samana is, was and will be for the near to medium future on of the most beautiful places on God's Good Earth..
It is populated by some of the most gracious people, and some of the most educated people as well.
The countryside is wild, verdant, super tropical. the waters are blue, blue, blue.

And I have know it for longer than any of the other posters-bar none!! Word! i did my first research in Samana in 1968....
HB

W

WBDominicana

I would describe it as follows...

-my favorite place on the island
-warm and welcoming residents
-quiet and secluded OR bustling and busy (I find you tend to get what you look for if you look with an open mind)
-best views and most unspoiled landscape
-a bit harder to reach than some getaways, but doesn't that make it more worthwhile?