Container-loaded barge from Puerto Plata harbour

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
About once a week (it might always be on the same day of the week, I haven't noticed) a large barge loaded high with containers leaves Puerto Plata harbour and sails slowly eastwards. It is pulled by a tug but may have its own power as well.

I was told it goes to Miami, but firstly it doesn't look equipped to venture onto the open seas as the water line seems so close to the gunwales, and secondly it is heading in the wrong direction, but then I know nothing of nautical matters so I could be wrong.

Does anyone know where it is headed as I cannot think of a port to the east large enough to accommodate it? And are the containers full, empty or a mixture of both?

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
A lot of the other islands in the Caribbean import goods from the DR, such as fruit, vegetables, canned goods, construction materials, etc.

korejdk

Bronze
Dec 29, 2006
It goes to Rio Haina and from there to Port Everglades on twice-weekly container ship

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
It goes to Rio Haina and from there to Port Everglades on twice-weekly container ship
Thank you, korejdk. So it is towed all the way round the island to Haina? How long that must take! I wonder if it only sails when the weather forecast is good. And for its ultimate destination, "Miami" was a lot nearer than I suspected.