Hi everyone..cpl moving to boca chica

MANGOS

Jul 24, 2012
We just wanted to say hi to everyone on the forum.we are a cpl from england who will be moving to boca chica at the end of august and any help or suggestions would be gratefully received.would like to meet up with other ex pats either from uk or usa as i also lived in the states in indiana for over 8 yrs.hope to meet up with some of you soon

j&z

JohnnyBoy

Bronze
Jun 17, 2012
Welcome to the forum. Ill be in Boca Chica in August. Alot of guys from NY hang out at Danancy Restaraunt on the beach the owner is from NY. Just my curiosity but why did you pick Boca Chica as a place to live? Have you been there before?

MANGOS

Jul 24, 2012
Hey we ate at danancy for the week we were at boca chica..we just loved the layback atmosphere and friendly locals..something sadly england lacks..we will probably be eating out there again when we are there as the food was pretty good

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Please come,and enjoy what the DR has to offer,BUT!
Don't buy a house,or anything else until you see how things go.I used to love Boca Chica.
Please realize that everyone you meet here ,is not going to be your best friend.
Keep you wallet closed.
Don't pay any attention to, "My Mother Is Sick' please help me save her life" stories,you will hear many stories like that.You can't "Save" everyone who gives you a sob story.Just by showing up and being a nice British Couple,you become a target,not only for Dominicans,but expats too.
If they ask for money,run!
DR1 is your best source of information.
,use it/us,PLEASE!
Cris Colon

MANGOS

Jul 24, 2012
thanks Criss..the time we spent there recently we picked up allot of the sob stories and wasnt taken in..its like that in most countries now and were pretty wise to it and the whole special price,happy hour thing hahaha...we would like to make some good friends out there too...and will definitely be making DR1 our information highway....didnt get chance to check out everyday things like nearest supermarket or post office etc so will be looking for information on that

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
If,or when,you rent an apt., be sure to talk to the other tenants first.The owner,or real estate broker will tell you that you will have 24/7 electricity,water,security, and "Quiet",but that is NEVER the truth.(Just like the "DR1 Spin Doctors" telling you that if you keep a "Low Profile" you will be safe anywhere in the DR")
Again,DR1 is your source,use it to find a good area to live,somewhat difficult in "Boca Chica", and the "Do's & Don't" of Boca and DR living.
"God Speed!"
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Deyvi

*** I love DR1 ***
Dec 23, 2009
If,or when,you rent an apt., be sure to talk to the other tenants first.The owner,or real estate broker will tell you that you will have 24/7 electricity,water,security, and "Quiet",but that is NEVER the truth.(Just like the "DR1 Spin Doctors" telling you that if you keep a "Low Profile" you will be safe anywhere in the DR")
Again,DR1 is your source,use it to find a good area to live,somewhat difficult in "Boca Chica", and the "Do's & Don't" of Boca and DR living.
"God Speed!"
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

I will PM you tomorrow with some contact info regarding my previous post. The info is well in line with what CC says. Really great Dutch guy runs his business from BC and will be glad to help you regarding apts. internet set up and the proper cell deal for your needs. All unless you happen to be competitors. Look for a PM friday in the afternoon.(night time in the UK). Do you speak spanish?

MANGOS

Jul 24, 2012
thanks Deyvi...all help is very much appreciated and no our spanish is not good at all,something we will be working on.Im in no way a competitor ..were just wanting to live out there
We do need some info on how to get to Sosua other then the bus...i have read it leaves SD regular but if you factor in taxi to and from BC to SD plus travel time, i would rather find someone or reliable cheap taxi that will make the trip so any suggestions would be appreciated....going to Sosua to see lawyer for residency so its important we arrive on time and i dont think the whole bus thing would be a good way

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
The "Taxi Thing" will be a LOT more expensive than you can
imagine,and not as safe as a bus.
You can take a "GuaGua"(small inter city bus) from Boca Chica to SD.A taxi to the METRO bus station,and a huge,modern Metro busline to Sosua.Maybe your lawyer can pick you up at the Metro stop???
We have lawyers in Santo Domingo too.
Guzman Ariza is the firm I use.Mr.Guzman is the moderator/expert on the DR1 legal forum.You can contact him there.
He has helped many dr1ers do just wht you want to do in Sosua.
Believe me it is many times better to deal with a law firm in SD,or your town of residence,rather than traveling to Sosua.
CCCCC

MANGOS

Jul 24, 2012
i read about Guzman Ariza and he doesnt offer what Brigitte Stuckmann offer which is full translation of all documents and certified plus notarized statement of a dominican citizen vouching for us in dominican.and taken to and from medical..those things alone makes them the more favourable otherwise i would have to send things off here to get translated etc and would cost a fortune...if guzman ariza could offer same then i would go with him

Deyvi

*** I love DR1 ***
Dec 23, 2009
i read about Guzman Ariza and he doesnt offer what Brigitte Stuckmann offer which is full translation of all documents and certified plus notarized statement of a dominican citizen vouching for us in dominican.and taken to and from medical..those things alone makes them the more favourable otherwise i would have to send things off here to get translated etc and would cost a fortune...if guzman ariza could offer same then i would go with him

Ok, this does it for me. Sounds like you've been to BC once, Maybe twice. I had been adding to a private message to you for several hours with all you needed to know about BC. Phone numbers etc. A Moderator, Cris Colon, tried to help you. As have others. Apparently you really know everything and don't accept advise from the most trusted and learned folks on this site. You know no one in the DR. Don't speak spanish. You are the biggest "PIGEON" maybe ever to set foot on the island. Your arrorgance exceeds most. We can only suspect why, a quick getaway and the whole senario. Don't you realize INTERPOL monitors this website. Drones are waiting for you.

MANGOS

Jul 24, 2012
Ok, this does it for me. Sounds like you've been to BC once, Maybe twice. I had been adding to a private message to you for several hours with all you needed to know about BC. Phone numbers etc. A Moderator, Cris Colon, tried to help you. As have others. Apparently you really know everything and don't accept advise from the most trusted and learned folks on this site. You know no one in the DR. Don't speak spanish. You are the biggest "PIGEON" maybe ever to set foot on the island. Your arrorgance exceeds most. We can only suspect why, a quick getaway and the whole senario. Don't you realize INTERPOL monitors this website. Drones are waiting for you.

i was only saying what i had read and looked into myself..i look at all things and take advice and im really appreciate everything we have been told..i do however take offence of childish names you use and i am there not on a quick gettaway as you so call it..maybe your just wanting me to do things your way or just like cris warned me about ex pats also trying to con me..i take all advice onboard and come to my own conclusions and not get told what to do and you take offence that i dont do exactly what you suggest.

Deyvi

*** I love DR1 ***
Dec 23, 2009

Can we ask the price you are wanting to pay for these illegal services??? Can we ask why you arrive in Boca Chica and must go far away for your "trusted counsel"? Can we ask what mode of transportation you will be taking at Las Americas? Can we ask how you got the monies to originally come to Boca Chica? And now move here? Can we ask if you have ever been a patient in a mental institution? I have many other questions. Only one suggestion. Don't ever arrive in a loved place of mine!!!!

MANGOS

Jul 24, 2012
Can we ask the price you are wanting to pay for these illegal services??? Can we ask why you arrive in Boca Chica and must go far away for your "trusted counsel"? Can we ask what mode of transportation you will be taking at Las Americas? Can we ask how you got the monies to originally come to Boca Chica? And now move here? Can we ask if you have ever been a patient in a mental institution? I have many other questions. Only one suggestion. Don't ever arrive in a loved place of mine!!!!

Well can I ask you something...who made you god and why should I answer to you... I came on this forum to ask for some information which I got..thank you cris and everyone else...I do take on board what they have said and appreciate it... But you have just made yourself look like a ass....thanks again everyone for suggestions and yes cris I will be contacting Guzman for his advice...if this is the type of abuse u get on here then thanks to all that helped but I won't be on here again

Deyvi

*** I love DR1 ***
Dec 23, 2009
J&Z, I do apologize for the comments about the mental aspect and beyond!! Way out of line for me. Late here in Fl. Alcohol, and my weekend just started. I hope it shows the passion I have for the country. And frustation. I do hope that you will really search the DR1 site for info. The fact is, not to many posters seem to offer a somewhat true connection with BC as I. This (yesterday) morning spoke with the best contact for you in BC. The news he gave me about current affairs there was pretty bad. Maybe in my warped state of mind I tried to keep you from settling there. I do have maybe the two best gringo contacts there. They are good helpful people. Not a drunken ass like myself. I'm sending you a PM now for the Dutch guy mentioned before. J&Z please accept apologies for my comments.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011

You Sir/Madam are acting like a fool, put the drink down and go to bed.

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
Well can I ask you something...who made you god and why should I answer to you... I came on this forum to ask for some information which I got..thank you cris and everyone else...I do take on board what they have said and appreciate it... But you have just made yourself look like a ass....thanks again everyone for suggestions and yes cris I will be contacting Guzman for his advice...if this is the type of abuse u get on here then thanks to all that helped but I won't be on here again

Welcome to dr1 Mangos, don't let one individual ruin your DR1 forum experience. Some of us are just jokers without anything else better to do and sometime desperate for attention. The ignore button is your dr1 forum's best friend.

I think Robert should take a closer look at individuals harassing other members with PMs, unless okayed to send by the receiving member beforehand.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Mango, you need to do this your way and after taking onboard the advice offered by as many people as you possibly can, don't listen to all of it, some is BS, I figure you've guessed this already.
A Guzman are a very good sound company but not the cheapest, here is an email recently forwarded to me by a friend going as you are right now, he was quite concerned by the costs involved as to other quotes he had.

On October 19th, 2011, the President of the Dominican Republic passed the Decree that establishes the regulations for the Immigration Law, which is supposed to be enforced immediately. The Immigration Law establishes a procedure that its different from the one described below; however, the process to obtain Dominican residency, as of today, remains as described below, but for the reason explained, the process might change or new documents might be requested at any given time.

Obtaining residency in the Dominican Republic usually is a two-step procedure. First, the foreign applicant must obtain provisional resident status, valid for one year from the date the applicant receives his or her residency card, renewable once every year for five years; then, upon expiration of the fifth year of the provisional residency, an application must be filed for permanent residence status. Once obtained, permanent residency must be renewed every two years. Given that Mr. Capayrou is married to a Dominican, he can obtain provisional residency and apply for citizenship directly after 6 months.

Requirements for Dominican residency are easily met by anybody in good health, drug-free and with a clean police record. The time involved in obtaining provisional residency is usually six months from the time the application is filed. This time estimate assumes that all required documents have been provided and authenticated.

Fees and expenses for the residency process are as follows: $1425 for provisional residency, payable 70% in advance and the balance upon obtaining the applied-for status. Legal fees in the Dominican Republic are subject to a 16% service tax, and US$750 plus 16%service tax for the naturalization. The fees are payable 70% in advance and the balance upon obtaining the particular status requested. For example, for the provisional residency, Mr. Capayrou would pay US$997.50 plus service tax upon retaining us and the balance (US$427.50 + service tax) upon obtaining your provisional residency. Total cost for this process is US$2,523.00 per person, including the 16% service tax. These fees do not include translation or legalization expenses.

To begin the residency process, the applicant must travel to the Dominican Republic with the following documents:
(a) Residency Visa, issued by the Dominican Consulate of the country of origin or from the closest country with a Dominican Consulate. You can't apply for this from the Dominican Republic. If the applicant is already in the Dominican Republic without this Residency Visa, he will have to fly back before you can apply for residency.
(b) Original or certified copy of the birth certificate, Apostilled in the country where it was issued or authenticated at the Dominican Consulate nearest to the place of issue of the document. If such country is a party of the Hague Convention, the authentication with the Apostille is mandatory.
c) Original or certified copy of the marriage certificate, Apostilled in the country where it was issued or authenticated at the Dominican Consulate nearest to the place of issue of the document, if two spouses are applying together. If such country is a party of the Hague Convention, the authentication with the Apostille is mandatory.
(d) Passport of the applicant (with the visa stamp, and the stamp of his entrance into the Dominican Republic).
(e) A certificate of no criminal record from the authorities in the applicant's country of origin or, if the applicant has been residing outside his country of origin for five years or more, from the authorities in the applicant's country of residence. The certificate should be Apostilled in the country where it was issued or authenticated at the Dominican Consulate nearest to the place of issue of the document. If such country is a party of the Hague Convention, the authentication with the Apostille is mandatory.
(f) Eight pictures (2" by 2"), four front and four profile, white background required, accessories such as earrings or sunglasses not allowed.

All documents issued in a foreign language must be translated to Spanish and legalized. If the translation was completed by you, then it must be Apostilled in the country where it was translated or authenticated at the Dominican Consulate nearest to the place where the document was translated. If such country is a party of the Hague Convention, the authentication with the Apostille is mandatory. On the other hand, if you request the translation from us, we will need approximately 5 working days (before the medical tests) to complete the translation and the required legalization of our translation.

All residency applications are done through our Santo Domingo office since the immigration authorities are based there. At the first meeting in our office, the applicant will provide our attorney or paralegal with the documents listed above. The passport will be returned to the applicant immediately after being photocopied.

The first phase of the provisional residency consists of medical tests (blood sample, urine sample and chest x-rays) at a government-designated location. The Immigration Department requires that these tests are preauthorized. Once the authorization has been granted, our firm will schedule the medical appointment for the following business day, when the applicant will meet a paralegal at our firm who will take him personally to the location where the tests are performed. The appointment time for residencies at our office is
8:30 a.m. At that time the applicant will meet a paralegal who will review the file with him. At approximately 9:00 a.m. he will depart with the paralegal for the medical tests, which take approximately three to four hours, including waiting and travel time.

As a part of these medical tests preauthorization, the same day scheduled we must provide the Immigration Department with the applicant's original birth certificate duly translated to Spanish and legalized. If the translation was completed by you, then it must be Apostilled in the country where it was translated or authenticated at the Dominican Consulate nearest to the place where the document was translated. If such country is a party of the Hague Convention, the authentication with the Apostille is mandatory. On the other hand, if you request the translation from us, we will need approximately 5 working days (before the medical tests) to complete the translation and the required legalization of our translation.

After the medical tests, we will prepare the documentation to submit your application to the Immigration Department. This phase normally takes ten to fifteen days. In addition to documents (a) to (e) listed above, we will file in your behalf:

1. A notarized letter of guarantee from a Dominican person or corporation.
2. A Power of Attorney.
3. An affidavit regarding the solvency of the guarantor backed by evidence of solvency such as bank deposits, property titles, etc.
4. A certificate of good behavior from the Dominican authorities.
5. Completed application forms.
It should be noted that all originals filed with the application become part of the government file and will not be returned to the applicant.

Once the application is filed, attorneys have no knowledge of the internal processing at the Immigration Department or at other entities (such as Interpol), unless the application has been approved or rejected, or more information is required on the applicant (for example, when an individual with the same name appears on a international criminal records database).

We will contact you promptly when a decision has been made on your application. If approved, your presence will be required in Santo Domingo in order to receive your residency card and c?dula (the Dominican national I.D. card). Upon obtaining the provisional residency, you will have a 6-month period during which you can bring your household goods into the Dominican Republic duty free.

As for translations and legalizations I can send you an authorised translators address in Gazcue, santo Domingo, they charge RD750 per document/birth certificate etc, which is next to nothing, you can take it to be legalised yourself, like I say, make a friends if you struggle with the lingo. A bi- lingual friend can save you a fortune in time and money.

Yes Guzman is not the cheapest option out there but they have a good reputation for getting things done. Even so, at that price it would certainly not be my choice, but I speak Spanish and my wife is Dominican, maybe if this was not the case, no Spanish and no Dominican wife I would consider paying the premium of Guzman, just to be sure it was done first time and correctly.

I'll give you my opinion about going to and from Sosua to do this process, seems bizarre, it usually works the other way. There are plenty of lawyers to help you out in Santo Domingo. You have plenty of time to sort this out once there, try and find some good solid people, you could do worse than people from here, most people are known through others somehow down the DR1 tree and so if they are fools and con artists you will find out at some point, and if they are idiots then you will be steered away by reputation. People will point you in the right direction, just take your time, never jump into anything involving finances, more so in DR than as you can bet your hat, something better will crop up, breath before parting with money, it doesn't go far in DR.

You'll be fine, so good luck and enjoy yourself, although for how long in Boca, hmmm?

Last edited: