Platano Con Salami? No. Platano Con PuPu. Si

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Now they just need the balls (probably the only protein content in Dominican Salami anyway) to say what brands are the offenders.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
I dont think this is specific only to DR, salami, hot dogs, processed meats in general including hamburgers etc are accepted by the public as being lottery food. You may get the brain, you may get the penis, a healthy serving of poop and mixed with an unhealthy doses of chemical toners to disguise what infact you really are eating and often required to bind the food. The only real difference in this food and dog food is the chemical agents that are not present in dog food, hence the disgusting smell of dog food, but in most cases it is the same mix, ingredients etc.

Same with processed fish, fish fingers, fish cakes etc, basicakly most things held together by breadcrumbs are basically what is scooped up from the factory floor and the bits not used in more premium servings, including fish poop. I worked in a Birdseye factory when I was at Uni, amazing the sh1t that goes into these things.

It's normal across the board, what people don't know rarely hurts them.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
This so called salami is nothing compared to what years ago was called salchichon.
I remember eating it as a child and it was so good!

The government had to stop the manufacturing of salchichon because it was reported
to have been made out of horse meat.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
just wash it all down with plenty of Presidente and Brugal and it won't matter WHAT it's made of.

pkaide1

Bronze
Aug 10, 2005
What I do not get about all of this, is that plenty of those Salamis are sold in the US too. I understand that food supervision is not done in DR, but the US should have caught this when they imported this garbage the first time.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
it does not surprise me as well: polish newspapers have been picking at the producers of frankfurters for few seasons now. also no names, prolly for legal reasons.
i was discussing this with HB earlier today: from the cover stories of diario libre this was the one that caught my attention. the cheapest salami in jose luis supermercado in POP runs at 42.50 pesos per pound. roughly the same as chicken. which is, basically, all meat, unlike salami. makes you think what is the profit margin there and how high is it pushed with low protein and high chemical contents.