If you live in the DR beware of the SALAMI

RenatoSosua

Bronze
Nov 8, 2006
groups.yahoo.com
15% of salamis contain fecal coliform, Consumer Agency warns

Santo Domingo.- Consumer Protection Agency (Proconsumidor) director Altagracia Paulino on disclosed a study Tuesday which found 97% of salamis produced in the country lack the required nutrients and contain 51% excess chemicals which she affirms threaten consumers? health.

She said 15% of the products analyzed contained fecal coliforms, "for which it violates the provisions on Dominican salami, which this agency stipulates its absence in any food, as it poses a serious risk to consumer health."

In press conference, the official said the study showed that 12% of the salamis have high yeast content. "And as for sodium nitrite, it found that 51% of the samples showed results above the limit of 200mg/kg allowed in Health Regulations.

source:http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/local/2012/7/24/44494/15-of-salamis-contain-fecal-coliform-Consumer-Agency-warns

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
I am truely surprised people are surprised by this. It is salami ffs, the **** of the **** end of produce.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
File under: "No sh!t, sherlock?"

Or maybe not. But I could have told them, and frequently do, that salami is full of crap of all sorts.

New insult - "comesalami".

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
I never eat this even in first world countries. Its immensely popular in the DR. Why, I have no idea! Full of nitrates, chemicals with unpronouncable names, artificial everything. Big health risk. I avoid all the highly processed meats- bologna, hot dogs, salami and especially sausage. They may taste good but its not worth it.

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
Here is a quote from Otto von Bismarck, first German Reichskanzler:

“To retain respect for sausages and laws, one must not watch them in the making.”

Randall Bell

Feb 17, 2012
I think you're reading this news story incorrectly. It's actually GOOD news not BAD news. I read it as:

85% of Salami DOES NOT contain mierda!

if only 85% of police were honest
if only 85% of business deals went without problems
if only 85% of truck drivers had proper training and licenses

this is good news. in the 'mierda index', salami is over indexing! :)

bryan1258

Bronze
Dec 24, 2007
If you're on the north coast get your salami from Horst the sausage and weiner miester up in Los Castillos, just west of Sosua. No lips and a$$holes. He lives on Frankfurter street, no sh!t.

Last edited:

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Dominicans are exempted from law

I have always wondered why this 'embutido'- thing (I refuse to call it Salami) would hang from the rafters of 'colmados' without refrigeration.
Then there was this incident when my wife bought some of that stuff (de la buena !) for our dogs.
Both went backwards after sniffing at it.

Well, they also found that the local manufacturers do not declare the ingredients (of course not) nor their address as the law requires.
However, any foodstuff imported from abroad must carry a label giving that very information in Spanish...

donP

curlando

Bronze
Jul 23, 2003
This hotel I stayed at in Santo Domingo served free breakfast including Salami. That Salami was the nastiest tasting meat.

Shiraz72

Bronze
Feb 10, 2010
I think Salami is popular because the dry salami can be hung up and sold in the little calmados and kept without refrigeration for longer than other meats... and also because it tastes so good fried and served along side boiled plantains and onions...yummm...