Internet TV

Captn Stu

Jul 1, 2012
Hi All,
Just wondering if anyone watches TV by streaming it over the internet. If so could you give me an idea of things like
1. Which internet service provider you use and which package you get, speeds etc

2. How you do it ... VPN, if so which,
Netflix, etc etc

3. Do you use a internet box ie Roku

Many thanks for any info.

SNH

Jul 24, 2010
Hi All,
Just wondering if anyone watches TV by streaming it over the internet. If so could you give me an idea of things like
1. Which internet service provider you use and which package you get, speeds etc

Netflix, etc etc

For Netflix you no longer need to use vpn or hide your ip address it is available in DR now.

Use laptop, phone, tv, ps3, nintendo wii, ipad all will work fine.

tcast305

Jul 17, 2009
For Netflix you no longer need to use vpn or hide your ip address it is available in DR now.

Use laptop, phone, tv, ps3, nintendo wii, ipad all will work fine.

That is correct that you no longer have to use vpn to access Netflix, however you will only see content that Netflix allows based on your international location (ie Dominican Republic). The selection is rather limited for my liking, however you do get spanish and spanish subtitles which is a plus if you friends/family that do not speak english, and some movies/titles that are not available on the regular US Netflix.

If you want to access the US Netflix content you would need to use a vpn/proxy service (for a US IP). I currently use vpn, however its my own private server. There are alot of vpn providers, I have personally used ibvpn without issues.

Thanks.

yapask1

Jul 23, 2012
That is correct that you no longer have to use vpn to access Netflix, however you will only see content that Netflix allows based on your international location (ie Dominican Republic). The selection is rather limited for my liking, however you do get spanish and spanish subtitles which is a plus if you friends/family that do not speak english, and some movies/titles that are not available on the regular US Netflix.

If you want to access the US Netflix content you would need to use a vpn/proxy service (for a US IP). I currently use vpn, however its my own private server. There are alot of vpn providers, I have personally used ibvpn without issues.

Thanks.

Yes, I use strongVPN $55 a year with no problems. You can get all BBC channels plus much more from UK, Netflix. With claro I get about 1 problem a day - a few seconds pause mostly. Also try without vpn www.wwitv.com for about 1,000 channels and films.

Yapask1

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
My new Sony TV which I bought from Pricesmart has Netflix built into it and it works flawlessly. It even streams in HD. My internet is provided by Delancer cable and I get a Florida IP address, so I get the full content without having to hide my IP.

Captn Stu

Jul 1, 2012
Yes, I use strongVPN $55 a year with no problems. You can get all BBC channels plus much more from UK, Netflix. With claro I get about 1 problem a day - a few seconds pause mostly. Also try without vpn www.wwitv.com for about 1,000 channels and films.

Yapask1

Hey Thanks for the reply. Which Claro package and speed do you use? It sounds just what i'm looking for.

davetuna

Bronze
Jun 19, 2012
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
I use wwwmyiplayer.com for free uk tv stations including bbc......its free and works ok,

with regard to the claro dongle/stick i do not have one, but when i went to look at the claro shop, the guy said he would give me 6GB for the price of 3GB for one month total cost was about 3000 pesos...on a pay as you go plan.

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
My new Sony TV which I bought from Pricesmart has Netflix built into it and it works flawlessly. It even streams in HD. My internet is provided by Delancer cable and I get a Florida IP address, so I get the full content without having to hide my IP.

How the heck is that even possible without a vpn??

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
Hi All,

Netflix, etc etc

There are a few factors to consider...

For starters do you live in DR full time or part time?

If part time there are many options available.

If full time, best bet is a VPN...as mentioned above strongvpn is a good option

Aug 21, 2007
I have a Roku box and Delancer internet. (However, I see you are posting from the East Coast and I am here in the North.) There are hundreds and hundreds of channels available on the box. Of course, Netflex is one, but only one of the many. Some cost $$, some are free. Best of all, I get Pandora on it, and with my speakers, it is a nice little set up.

Lindsey

Last edited:

Captn Stu

Jul 1, 2012
Hey All,

Thanks for all the info so far. Very helpful. Just wondering about internet speeds. Here on the East Coast I believe the ISP are Claro and Orange. Does anyone know the recommended speed for streaming TV?

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
I use slingbox. I had been using it for several years now. I had an agreement with my brother and have one extra box exclusively for me. So I am basically watching all the Cablevision channels connected on my laptop and phone. I have Claro's as cable phone internet provider. I did got 15MB down on time but now I get around 2.5Mb down average. Everything is very watchable but at times things becomes choppy.

yapask1

Jul 23, 2012
ISP Claro on North coast minimum subscription about 1,700 pesos a month is good for streaming one channel. Don,t try movie downloads while you are streaming.

yapask1

yapask1

Jul 23, 2012
Hey Thanks for the reply. Which Claro package and speed do you use? It sounds just what i'm looking for.

The minimum slowest package about 1,700 a month is good.

BBC has a lot of content I find attractive without adverts etc. The iPlayer also lets you play previously transmitted programs.
Works fine with strongVPN and output from laptop goes either to 20 inch monitor or wall TV via HDMI.

Claro have packages including internet and TV via dish and these are attractive.

I will try mpiplayer.

yapask1

yapask1