Why sometimes advice is not heard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
It is not uncommon for foreigners here and abroad to criticize the Dominican Republic for all that ails it. However, from many a Dominican's point of view who keep up with world events a lot of the criticism is the "pot calling the kettle black". Here are a few examples and typical responses from Dominicans:

Statement: The DR is a corrupt country.
Typical response: The world's economy is in the dumps because of corruption in the US and Europe.

S: The DR is a violent country.
R: In the US and Europe there are mass murders of many innocent people fairly frequently.

S: Dominicans are barbarians because they like demonstrations.
R: Every time there is a G12 meeting or a football match there are mass riots and people die.

S: Dominicans are not civilized.
R: Europeans don't bathe, Americans are cheap and aloof and Canadians are arrogant.

S: Dominicans can't drive.
R: Apparently Americans can't either based on "World's Scariest Police Chases" or similar.

S: Dominicans are womanizers.
R: The foreign tourists in the resort area make Dominicans look like saints and beside at least Dominicans like women.

S: The DR is a racist society.
R: Dominican family members living abroad say they are victims of racism from the whites as well as the blacks.

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
R: Apparently Americans can't either based on "World's Scariest Police Chases" or similar.

Have you driven in the capital lately? LOL I'll take my chances states side ANY day!!

Imagine if DR had a highway like I-95... oooh the insanity!!

Jan 17, 2009
That list is a bunch of excuses. There are excuses for everything and everywhere. But if those excuses are truly what Dominicans say, I can only say that it seems easier for them then to excuse their behavior blaming someone else. Not a good excuse; take responsibility or explain why it is the way it is. Same goes of Americans blaming their lack of jobs on illegal immigration.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
R: Europeans don't bathe, Americans are cheap and aloof and Canadians are arrogant.

Simply can't help yourself can you? This thread serves absolutely no purpose other than to stir up dislike for the author who has his preconceived ideas of a fantasy scenario no one else has ever likely come across before, and preconceived because I don't even believe you have either. You say example, example? I have never and I doubt anyone eLse has (although i speak only for myself)had conversations where a Dominican would choose to compare or even debate the differences. Dominicans in general (the obvious excluded, no names requires) tend to accept criticism, add to it, and agree with realities. In general they don't hide from the faults and drudge they have to live in. They don't want to hide it, they want it o be recognised that it is so much worse than X, as without that recognition they know nothing will ever change. That is someone who really wants change, not a fantasist with their head in the ground.

Now you come back with a dainty manipulation of the real reason you posted this, just save it, the transparency is oh so........

Again, just another example of the different repulic you believe you live in, oh so very different.

Last edited:

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Simply can't help yourself can you? This thread serves absolutely no purpose other than to stir up dislike for the author who has his preconceived ideas of a fantasy scenario no one else has ever likely come across before, and preconceived because I don't even believe you have either. You say example, example? I have never and I doubt anyone eLse has (although i speak only for myself)had conversations where a Dominican would choose to compare or even debate the differences. Dominicans in general (the obvious excluded, no names requires) tend to accept criticism, add to it, and agree with realities, in general they don't hide from the faults and drudge they have to live in. They don't want to hide it, they want it o be recognised that it is so much worse than X, as without that recognition they know nothing will ever change. That is someone who really wants change, not a fantasist with their head in the ground.

Now you come back with a dainty manipulation of the real reason you posted this, just save it, the transparency is oh so........

Again, just another example of the different repulic you believe you live in, oh so very different.

In your world apparently Dominicans don't go to the university or have businesses nor much less know how to use the internet but instead sell fruit on the side of the road, their bodies and swindle gringos.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Chip,being you must really SUCK!
The ONLY thing I respect about you is your faith.
Supposing you are actually living the christian life you tell us all about,ad nausium.
Why do you find the never ending series of post extolling the virtues about Dominicans,and the lives they live here in the DR such an obsession?
You are getting advanced? education,good for you,but stop hitting us over the head with that.
Dragging other cultures/countries up to make an excuse for Dominicn short falls is a "Fools Erand"!
Nobody but you,Nals,and PEEchardo really believes,or cares about that silly tactic.
Face facts,those of us who actually live here,"snow birds" and those who visit often,are not blind,deaf,or stupid.
We can SEE what goes on here,and what it smells like here.Weshop,do business, eat,travel,get sick,and know what the realities of every day life for an average Dominican !
This contrived,so called post, just proves our point.
I know you crave attention,but the way you seek it is ludicrous.
Time to re-arrange my underware drawer.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
In your world apparently Dominicans don't go to the university or have businesses nor much less know how to use the internet but instead sell fruit on the side of the road, their bodies and swindle gringos.

If you read my post you will see where I predicted a BS response, you're too transparent. In my personal world my family work hard, are happy, content and they don't defend the wrongs of their country, they are not so stupid to do that, what is the point, they are Dominican, they have always lived with it. Something you try so hard to be, but fail so hugely because you can't change that mindset that wants to direct you to defend where there is no attack, attack where there was no need, say whatever you have to just to have the last word. You have to have the last word because you are so integrated and know best, lol, and if that means all your pals are Dominican and you live in a parish bubble then you certainly are integrated. If however you take the real understanding then you fail, because you can not drop that ingrained American inside that has to be on top, has to argue the toss where there is no argument, just facts and the fact you are not top has to be fought out, even when it comes to compare a first world country with DR, it has to have the last word at all costs, under these factors your Dominican integration fails you, sorry, just because you don't seem to get it, there is no need.
This 'face of the Republic' front is not doing you any favours. But I expect your parish is proud of you, and that's all that matters.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I make a valid observations from Dominicans I've heard from all walks of life in my many years here in the DR and I already have two posters getting personally offensive.

Why can't people disagree without resorting to personal criticisms or attacks?

The topic is not "Chip", it is what many Dominicans think of criticism of their country.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
It is not uncommon for foreigners here and abroad to criticize the Dominican Republic for all that ails it. However, from many a Dominican's point of view who keep up with world events a lot of the criticism is the "pot calling the kettle black". Here are a few examples and typical responses from Dominicans:

Statement: The DR is a corrupt country.
Typical response: The world's economy is in the dumps because of corruption in the US and Europe.

S: The DR is a violent country.
R: In the US and Europe there are mass murders of many innocent people fairly frequently.

S: Dominicans are barbarians because they like demonstrations.
R: Every time there is a G12 meeting or a football match there are mass riots and people die.

S: Dominicans are womanizers.
R: The foreign tourists in the resort area make Dominicans look like saints and beside at least Dominicans like women.

S: The DR is a racist society.
R: Dominican family members living abroad say they are victims of racism from the whites as well as the blacks.

Yep, its official! The DR is equal to, or maybe even better, than most first world countries.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Most Used

These are not typical Dominican responses.
Or at least all of them lack the exordium "No tenemos la culpa." :laugh:
Not critizising, just observing. ;)

donP

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Horizons

Maybe you should expand you horizons.

Your and Pichy's urge to start absolutely meaningless threads obviously stems from the anticipation to reply to criticism with personal attacks.

donP

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Your and Pichy's urge to start absolutely meaningless threads obviously stems from the anticipation to reply to criticism with personal attacks.

donP

Since when is "expand their horizons" is a personal attack?

Try to contribute instead of criticizing or discrediting.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
If the Starship Enterprise beamed down a crew,and met you,and read your posts,I can just hear,"Beam us up Scotty,There is no intelligent. life on Earth,at least not the guy we met
Your posts/responses remind me of "Archie Bunker",but at least he was funny!
Do you take "Meds"???
If not,START!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCc

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Exaggeration is a great smoke and mirrors tactic.

Your one to talk, thats what your best at!! Obviously, or we all hope, this thread wasnt serious, you honestly cannot believe those ridiculous examples present an accurate case comparing the DR to these countries... I think it has been beaten to death that duh, yes even in first world countries there is crime, garbage, poor, etc etc etc... So what!!!!

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Your one to talk, thats what your best at!! Obviously, or we all hope, this thread wasnt serious, you honestly cannot believe those ridiculous examples present an accurate case comparing the DR to these countries... I think it has been beaten to death that duh, yes even in first world countries there is crime, garbage, poor, etc etc etc... So what!!!!

Where did I state in this thread that the DR was better or equal to America or Europe as you claim?

This thread is about why criticism of the DR by foreigners is not always well received. Don't get things confused please.

Status
Not open for further replies.