Flying into DR on Friday

LuvKisselle

Jul 9, 2012
Hello Everyone,

Will I have problems getting into the DR on Friday, if I only have a one-way ticket and will be purchasing a Tourist Card upon arrival? I was offered a job a few weeks ago, and was not quite financially prepared for the costs of the Residence Visa paperwork. For instance, the Dominican Embassy told me that their charge for translating paperwork was $70.00 per document (and they require at least 5 documents to be translated), not to mention the cost of the actual Residence Visa paperwork...and some letter of guarantee (that I read is pretty expensive)...so in a nutshell, I let my employers in DR know that I didn't really have almost $500 bucks for paperwork, and they said not to worry. They'd assist me with the Visa once I arrived.

I am very confused about this process...and I know its so darn late in the game, I have no choice but to hop on the plane Friday and just see what happens.

After reading a few forums about the new regulations, I am worried that I may not be allowed into the country. Can anyone offer any insight?

Thanks

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Hello Everyone,

Will I have problems getting into the DR on Friday, if I only have a one-way ticket and will be purchasing a Tourist Card upon arrival? I was offered a job a few weeks ago, and was not quite financially prepared for the costs of the Residence Visa paperwork. For instance, the Dominican Embassy told me that their charge for translating paperwork was $70.00 per document (and they require at least 5 documents to be translated), not to mention the cost of the actual Residence Visa paperwork...and some letter of guarantee (that I read is pretty expensive)...so in a nutshell, I let my employers in DR know that I didn't really have almost $500 bucks for paperwork, and they said not to worry. They'd assist me with the Visa once I arrived.

I am very confused about this process...and I know its so darn late in the game, I have no choice but to hop on the plane Friday and just see what happens.

After reading a few forums about the new regulations, I am worried that I may not be allowed into the country. Can anyone offer any insight?

Thanks

Smile, say Hola! ....my money is on "you will have no problem"

LuvKisselle

Jul 9, 2012
Thanks guys! I feel a lot more at ease...simply by your comments. The next worry is "what will happen after the 10 days?"...I'm going to arrive with some of the paperwork for the Residence Visa, but not everything. I hope it won't be THAT difficult applying for it in the DR. Again, I'll cross that bridge when I get there. Glad to know that I should be okay for Friday :)

Jan 17, 2009
Where are you flying from? Some airlines in the US refuse check-in to passengers with one-way ticket. This is not new. It's been going on for a while. You're basically at the mercy of the person who does your check-in. The reason: they claim they get fined if they transport passengers with a one-way ticket that have no residency in the country they are flying to. A family member had this problem, so he figure it was okay to buy a fully-refundable ticket at the airport. When he arrived, he went to the airline to return it but was told to show his residency card. He had none and couldn't return it. Have a credit card handy just in case and good luck!

Feb 7, 2007
@ LuvKissel "I hope it won't be THAT difficult applying for it in the DR" - you cannot apply for residency in the DR at present time without a previously issued valid visa by the Dominican consulate

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
you'll have 4 months to work it out. 60 days allowed on the tourist card... and you're able to renew that for another 60 days. BUT... as was mentioned, based on the new regulations and procedures, you will have to start the residency process back home with a visa from the consulate. BUT... BUT these new laws seem to be in limbo, with few officials knowing about them, and fewer still understanding them. It will take some time for the kinks to be worked out and to come to a consistent procedure... if it ever happens at all.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
i got fined when i stayed over 30 days...not a big fine...but then had a horrible time getting back into the US. stopped for hours at US customs/imigration here in the US. I originally booked for two weeks..ended up staying for four months. Guess that set up some red flags I guess. They ended up calling my bank to confirm my savings (and where the dinero came from)..and they called my friends in the US to confirm they knew i was traveling and why i was traveling.

It was hell!!! so do the steps and cover your butt!!!

Bueno Suertes

JJ

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
If the airline makes you purchase a return ticket, get one that is fully refundable. Then when you enter the DR you can get your money back on that ticket. As for becoming a resident while being inside the DR, only time will tell if your employer can pull that off without a need for you to return to the US for the proper entry visa. Good luck.

Jan 17, 2009
You can't get your money back from the airline even if fully refundable unless you show your residency card! I mentioned earlier this happened to a family member last year.

If the airline makes you purchase a return ticket, get one that is fully refundable. Then when you enter the DR you can get your money back on that ticket. As for becoming a resident while being inside the DR, only time will tell if your employer can pull that off without a need for you to return to the US for the proper entry visa. Good luck.

Jan 17, 2009
You're welcome. I'll give you a tip that worked for me with American Airlines many times until July 2011 when I got my residency. I checked in online or at the self-serving machines, but waited till they were really busy at the baggage check line. The family member who had this problem last year went to regular check in at the counter.

Some times, thinking I could have a problem at the airport, before leaving I would put a return ticket (the cheapest one I found online) on hold. I don't know if that helped. But only American lets you put a ticket on hold for 24 hours.

I am flying from the US...*yikes* ok thanks!

Jan 17, 2009
You are not a US citizen then, right?

i got fined when i stayed over 30 days...not a big fine...but then had a horrible time getting back into the US. stopped for hours at US customs/imigration here in the US. I originally booked for two weeks..ended up staying for four months. Guess that set up some red flags I guess. They ended up calling my bank to confirm my savings (and where the dinero came from)..and they called my friends in the US to confirm they knew i was traveling and why i was traveling.

Bueno Suertes

JJ

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005

Bueno Suertes

JJ

JJ, thanks for the update, this really does NOT relate to the OP's situation @ all mate!
The OP is asking about a one way ticket and residency not your trip report.
You were profiled as a money launderer/drug dealer @ JFK/EWR, that is all.

tio tambo'

LuvKisselle

Jul 9, 2012
Thank you all AGAIN...for responding so swiftly and for being so helpful. I'm preparing for the worst (which would be being sent back to the states/not boarding the plane and having to face everyone that I SO HAPPILY told about my new job) and hoping for the best. SMH...it's my own stupid fault for not being financially or mentally prepared to tackle the residence visa situation.

botemon

Jun 28, 2008
Oh...and when you fill out your "immigration" paper stuff on your flight, I would only check the box for "pleasure". That's why you are coming to the DR. For Pleasure. Ya might raise a flag if you check "for business". Just my take. You won't have any trouble. They just want the $10.00!
One a side note, I have flown to and from the DR many times on a "one way" ticket. Never was an issue for me.

nakom

Jan 26, 2011
Because of where I live there are no direct flights to POP, so I always use multiple airlines and often different airlines entering and leaving the DR. If you have a return ticket with a different airline, when you check in they have no record of a return flight. In 12 or so trips, I have only been asked about a return ticket once, and even then was not asked to produce it when I said "I am coming back on Air Canada".