What's life like living in bavaro and punta Cana area??

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
I have lived on the north coast and am considering the southeast .Can any people who live in this area share what life is typically like and if there are any significant differences ? I hear it's more pricey and limited to just tourists ,however have no clue since I have only been to the airport .So if anyone cares to share please Do .thanks

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011
I have lived on the north coast and am considering the southeast .Can any people who live in this area share what life is typically like and if there are any significant differences ? I hear it's more pricey and limited to just tourists ,however have no clue since I have only been to the airport .So if anyone cares to share please Do .thanks

~Like anyplace else there are pros and cons about this area~

If you like 24/7 electric, this is the place to live: not really a need for invertors, or generators, rarely a black out. But it does come at a cost!!! Not cheapy cheapy;)

Many Canadian and American expats in the area, more so in the Winter months, very quite in the low season, however its nice, you can actually hear yourself think in the low season, you really appreciate the sounds of the ocean and its calming effects.

The beaches are beautiful, however limited to access due to all of the AI resorts, there are beach clubs that allow access and common paths to the beaches. Or pack to cooler and take a ride up to Macao, its another lovely beach with larger waves if your into surfing!!

Golf is another biggy in this area, many a golf course to select....you can shop at the Palma Real and San Juan shopping plazas, have a greenie at a local bar, a pastel at the New York Bakery, get fresh fruits and veges. Shop in the Super Pola, or a local colmado. Its really developing more and more with stores so you don't have to travel to the Capital to buy furnishings, appliances, and electronics, however again its not cheap!!!

There are many doctors, and dentist in the area as well, and in the event of an emergency there in Centro Medico which from what I hear is a well equipt medical facility.

Its all a matter of your needs and what you need or want out of living, we find it relaxing and we enjoy it very much....

Best way to decide is to come down and stay in the area, my suggestion would be to rent a condo or stay at a NON-AI resort!!! You will experiance the area better outside of the AI's.

Good Luck in whatever you decide!

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Tourists stay to the beaches and hotels, so not an issue, unless you go to the beach you never really see them. Lots of foreigners own property there but few stay there. I've lived all over the world and all over the DR and without doubt Bavaro is the most mind numbingly boring place I ever lived. It is neigh on impossible to have a night out in a few different venues, there are literally miles between venues, bars, restaurants. There is no real social scene unless you get into a gated community house party bosh. The beaches are over crowded, the beer is double price. 24 hour electric though.
unless you have good reason, work or free living then there is nothing at all to attract me.